• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

3 courses of antibiotics - tooth still infected

N

nicface26

I have had an infection around my lower left wisdom tooth for 4 weeks now. I was initially put on Amoxicillin which didn't touch it, then Erythromycin which nearly cleared it (but had me feeling awful) and I've now almost finished a course of Metronidazole (3 more tablets to take) and the gum is still oozing pus. Has anyone else had this before? The infection isn't painful, just unpleasant (taste, smell etc.). I am slightly concerned that I might have an undiagnosed health problem which is why the infection isn't clearing, so was just wondering whether other people have had a similar experience with antibiotics not clearing wisdom tooth infections? Getting worried about going back to the dentists now :(

Why not take it out?

I was under the impression that dentists cannot remove a tooth while it is still infected, because of the risks involved in spreading the infection into the bloodstream? Also, my dentist has said that they are reluctant to remove wisdom teeth unless they are causing serious pain/issues, such as not growing through straight. Mine appears to be growing straight and the only problem being caused is the infection refusing to budge. I'm not in any pain.

I just wondered why antibiotics wouldn't be working on an infection of this type, and if anyone knew whether something like this could be related to an underlying health condition.

Back