• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

3 hours until immediate load implant surgery..could use some words of encouragement,worried about IV

I

implants14273

3 hours until immediate load implant surgery..could use some words of encouragement,worried about IV

So right now I'm like 500 miles from home (flew yesterday) to finally get my top implant bridge done (immediate load though, so everything- extractions and all- are being done in one procedure. Not only am I freaked out about being so far away from home, I'm kind of becoming increasingly nervous about the surgery, which is at 3pm EST (it's 12:15 as I write this)

This will be my 3rd (and final) surgery under IV sedation. I've had no complications with it in the past (no side effects afterward, no nausea, really just tired after). But I can't help but worry that this may be the time- this is the first sedation surgery I've had done that wasn't early in the morning, so the fasting has been very difficult and although I haven't eaten I had 3 ice chips about an hour ago and am sucking on a ginger candy right now. I'm very afraid of vomiting (my biggest phobia, my life literally revolves around it), and although I never have (to my knowledge) I'm afraid I'll vomit during my surgery, or maybe even after. I'm also feeling a bit nauseous now because of the anxiety and I also haven't eaten since 11pm last night so my stomach is a little funky. I know I probably wouldn't know if I was vomiting during the surgery because I've never ever remembered anything from an IV sedation surgery (just feels like I'm asleep the whole time) but I know it could cause major complications if I did so I'm freaked out. I'm only 18 and am healthy so I know the chance of mortality from aspiration for me would be low (especially because I'm not chugging water or eating any meals) but I can't shake the worry..

I've had a very hard time finding any information about recovery from immediate load mini implants, I can only find info about normal implants (which are larger, more invasive, and sometimes require cutting of the gums) so I'm really not sure what to expect. I've had 7 extractions at once before (2 wisdom teeth included in the 7) as well as a frenectomy (which is the only thing that caused me pain, didn't need pain meds). Out of the 5 extraction surgeries I've experienced (2 with sedation) I've been lucky to never need pain meds after and not even really experience pain, so I hope I'm not jinxing myself here.

I could really use some words of encouragement or comfort, especially when it comes to the sedation/vomiting fears, but I'll really take anything at this point :(

I will update tonight after surgery!

Re: 3 hours until immediate load implant surgery..could use some words of encouragement,worried abou

just a little update, really posting for someone who may stumble upon this thread down the road in a similar situation...

the surgery is over and done with! The pre op anxiety was far worse than anything I have experienced so far post op. The whole thing was kind of cloudy for me, I feel like I remember some parts but not others. Anything that I do cloudily remember is from the end of the surgery. The anesthesiologist was very nice and took care of my worries. She gave me an IV for fluids and anti nausea meds.

So far (hoping not to jinx myself) I really have no discomfort, aside from a stiff jaw (for keeping my mouth open for so long I assume). I got home and 6 and was able to eat almost immediately so this has been easier than any of my extraction recoveries so far! Hoping everything continues this way:)

Back