• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

3 questions on cracked tooth, extraction

S

sharon

3 questions - I'm scheduled for an extraction/bone graft next week due to a most likely crack/fracture on a root canaled lower molar. I've only seen my general dentist about this, however last week I saw the surgeon for another tooth he's working on and he took a 3d ct scan of all my teeth. They talked and decided extraction was the best way to go. I had an extraction/bg 2 months ago and it was probably one of my easiest dental apps ever and I'm hoping this one will also be. I called the surgeon's office to schedule the appt and asked her if she could ask the surgeon if he thinks this will be an easy extraction or a more difficult one. I need to know so I can plan to take valium if needed. If it's like the last appt I won't need to take any but if it's involved I do need a little "help." She said there is no way he can tell without looking at the tooth. Since I'm not having any appts before the actual surgery there is no way he can look at it.

First question - can he tell by looking at the detailed xray he took if it will be an easy or hard extraction? If so I'll give them another call and insist on an answer. I really prefer not to take anything if I don't need it but if I do need I certainly want to take it. To me it seems it would be much easier to tell by looking at the roots on the xray than the tooth itself.

Second question - is it difficult to remove a cracked tooth? Is it more likely to break and therefore be more involved? (maybe that's why she said he couldn't tell without looking at it.)

Third question - my tooth hurts bad like a toothache, and biting makes it worse. Does a cracked tooth hurt in the same way that an infected tooth hurts? Dentist said there is no infection (he didn't take an xray) and I'm afraid he might be missing something because it feels just like previous tooth aches that have needed rc's. I'm getting occassional sharp stabbing pains down in my jaw and even up in my temple. I'm hoping I can make it until the appt.

Sharon

I feel kind of "pathetic" bringing my own post up to the top but I really am hoping for some help on the below.

3 questions - I'm scheduled for an extraction/bone graft next week due to a most likely crack/fracture on a root canaled lower molar. I've only seen my general dentist about this, however last week I saw the surgeon for another tooth he's working on and he took a 3d ct scan of all my teeth. They talked and decided extraction was the best way to go. I had an extraction/bg 2 months ago and it was probably one of my easiest dental apps ever and I'm hoping this one will also be. I called the surgeon's office to schedule the appt and asked her if she could ask the surgeon if he thinks this will be an easy extraction or a more difficult one. I need to know so I can plan to take valium if needed. If it's like the last appt I won't need to take any but if it's involved I do need a little "help." She said there is no way he can tell without looking at the tooth. Since I'm not having any appts before the actual surgery there is no way he can look at it.

First question - can he tell by looking at the detailed xray he took if it will be an easy or hard extraction? If so I'll give them another call and insist on an answer. I really prefer not to take anything if I don't need it but if I do need I certainly want to take it. To me it seems it would be much easier to tell by looking at the roots on the xray than the tooth itself.

Second question - is it difficult to remove a cracked tooth? Is it more likely to break and therefore be more involved? (maybe that's why she said he couldn't tell without looking at it.)

Third question - my tooth hurts bad like a toothache, and biting makes it worse. Does a cracked tooth hurt in the same way that an infected tooth hurts? Dentist said there is no infection (he didn't take an xray) and I'm afraid he might be missing something because it feels just like previous tooth aches that have needed rc's. I'm getting occassional sharp stabbing pains down in my jaw and even up in my temple. I'm hoping I can make it until the appt.

Sharon

It's not that much more involved to remove a broken tooth In my experience. I don't know about your pain anytime I've had an ache it's been infected, a broken tooth would almost certainly be infected. As for breaking apart, neither of mine did. Good luck! !

Thank you Courtenay, I'm glad to know you had no problems with this.
Sharon

Nope they were a bit harDer to numb but none broke apart and all were healed up and pain free in about 5 days. I was terrified but I am so happy it's done. You will be ok and feel better for it once it's over with. All 3 of mine were badly infected and the problems stopped almost instantly!

Back