• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

3 teeth out to make room for braces and general fear of dentist

M

Martinjd

hi im a 15 and in the next 3 weeks i will be going to my dentist twice to have 3 teeth taken out. not because thier bad but because i have overcrowded gum and i need to make room in my mouth so i can have a brace fitted. but the problem is that the last time i had a tooth out it was my first exraction and it was very painful, but i recently found out of my parents that i did have an abcess under it in the gum and that it had a deep filling. but ever since i dont like going to the dentist but knowing i need to have teeth out and that i go on 2 seperate occasions makes me feel worse :/ i am definately going through with it i just need some advice even if its something to keep my calm or just to put my mind at ease.

(i suppose it isnt that bad considering the 1st orthadontist said 5-7 teeth out and i'd have to wear all the headgear and that at night and a retainer indefinately ?)

Once the tooth has been numbed up, there should be no pain whatsoever and if you have a good dentist the injection to numb you up can also be painfree.
Are you seeing the same dentist who hurt you the last time? There is no reason if done competently and empathetically it has to be a painful experience.

You should also share your concerns with the dentist about what happened before so they can reassure you and take extra care to ensure you are fully numb. Agree a raised hand stop signal to make you feel in control so you can alert them immediately if you need a top-up to the anaesthetic.

Last edited:
i am seeing the dentist that came in after an hour of stuggling and pulled it out in minutes the dentist i usually see started but the dentist who came in is the owner of the practice and i am seeing him this time and the 2nd time i go

Back