• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

3 weeks of wisdom tooth issues! Please help :(

B

bonnieb88

Hello there, I am new here but have been looking through the forum many times the last few weeks!

I had a lower wisdom tooth extracted about 3 weeks ago now, developed dry socket, and had it packed which fell out last week - and the pain has been much better.

However, in the last 2 days i noticed (it could have been there before, but to be honest i have no idea) swelling of the new gum tissue in the socket, and around the molar next to the extraction site.
It worried me as it looked yellowish almost below the molar next to the extracted wisdom tooth - and leading into the extraction site. It is not painfull but when I laugh, or smile etc I have a weird sensation, it just feels strange and swollen on the side of my mouth. Now I went to the dentist only this afternoon, who was not my usual dentist (as he is on leave currently) and was running behind schedule so I feel he rushed my appointment.

He simply had a quick look, said it seems to be as it is but if I want another opinion to wait until my usual dentist is back to be sure. Now, I am anxious by nature and to say the least this has done little to re assure me. I had an abscess which I was on antiobiotics before getting this removed, and I am terrified it is another abscess forming.

It looks swollen around both the extraction site, and leading down below the molar next to the site, with a yellowish tint underneath. Is this normal? Is it just swollen from delayed healing due to the dry socket?

I am just so worried as the dentist made me feel like I am crazy almost, and waiting his time :( I guess i just need reassurance / advice if something may be wrong.

I thank anyone in advance who has read through this and may be able to offer any advice!
It has been two months of hell with the abscess first and post extraction issues!!

Hi :welcome:to the forum.

I am not a dentist but it does sound like delayed healing due to the dry socket. A yellow whitish film will form across the extraction site which means that it is healing. Aching and a bit of jaw pain is normal and with you having had a dry socket it has delayed the healing process. The site and the surrounding area needs time to heal and the gums in the adjoining teeth need to toughen back up and will soon not feel so strange.

If you are still worried then when your dentist comes back go and see them. If you get really bad pain that pain meds won't touch or a bad taste then contact them straight away as soon as they open for them to have a look. If you could manage to get a photo and post it in the dentist questions section of the forum or even on here, one of the dentists that come on here may be able to give you an opinion. They are not on all the time and they give the time they can when they can.

Try not to worry too much it will probably be okay :butterfly:

Back