• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

34 and has never been to the dentist

J

jennipooh

Hi everyone I'm new here. I'm a 34 year old mother to 4 beautiful little girls. I have very bad ugly rotten front teeth and will be having all my top removed and immediate top denture. Never been to the dentist and I'm terrified.

Hi jennipooh,

Yesterday was the first time I have been to the dentist in about 10 years so I think I can somewhat understand how terrified you must be. You said that you have to have all your upper teeth removed, is that what a professional told you or is it what you want to do? In any case, I think what helps is to find a dentist that understands your fear. My dentist as well as the hygenist knew that I was very scared and they made me very comfortable. One of the best way to tell if a dentist is good for you (in my opinion) is to see how the staff treats you when you talk to them about your worries. The receptionist was very kind and she even wrote a note on my file saying that I was a nervous patient. They did not treat me like a business (unlike other clinics) but as a patient that needs help.

My situation is a little different, what I learned form reading various posts is that no matter what work we need, we tend to freak out and it ends up not being as bad as we thought. Your imagination can truly run wild when you're afraid. Try to not overthink (easier said than done, I am a compulsive overthinker myself). When I see that I cant get my mind out of it I either try to relax or I read success stories. Having teeth removed and wear dentures is no fun but at the same time I read so many stories of how people were happy to finally be able to smile again or not have to carefully choose what to eat because chewing is difficult. There are also a lot of young people with dentures sharing their story on youtube. The toughest part is definitely that 1st appointment but if I did it you can do it too!! You really have to give yourself a push at first and for any work remaining, take it one appointment at a time. I am still at the beginning of my journey but I'm sure eventually both you and I will be able to look back and be proud of how far we came along. I hope this helped at least a little!

Yes thank you! I appreciate the kind encouragement. Yes unfortunately the doc said all of my top has to go. I'm excited to get a new smile but the extraction seems so mid evil and that's scary. I go the 5th. All done in 1 day. I'm glad of that but also worried about that too. I have 4 kids and no time to be in pain. I wish you well with yours!

Oh the doctor seems very nice and understanding. He's giving me Valium before the procedure. I felt a little ease of comfort reading his reviews. They were all good and quite a few said they didn't feel anything at all. So I'm hoping it will go easily for me.

Hi I'm new to this site and have awful top teeth. My two front teeth are decaying and just discovered another hole in my front teeth. I haven't been to dentist in about 15 years. I'm now at a point where I really need to see a dentist . I'm just wondering to the person who is having their top teeth removed and replaced how much this cost. ??

Hi I'm new to this site and have awful top teeth. My two front teeth are decaying and just discovered another hole in my front teeth. I haven't been to dentist in about 15 years. I'm now at a point where I really need to see a dentist . I'm just wondering to the person who is having their top teeth removed and replaced how much this cost. ??

It's common for an item to sell at different prices across the united states just like the average minimum wage can be different for each state. So when asking for prices it might be a ways off. Where I am at it's $100 for each extraction. A partial is about 1k (includes a few visits after and 6 months rebase/remake) and assume it's not too far off for a denture. It's $350 to get knocked out. Then maybe a few hundred for extra misc stuff like exams and x-rays. So 3k would be my guess for entire top. A front partial would probably cost more if considering the teeth that aren't getting pulled might need work.

Last edited:
Back