• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

35 and getting dentures...

E

Emma9820

Hi everyone!

I am super happy I found this group! I have been a fly on the wall for a few weeks now and reading tour questions and answers. I find it so awesome that we can come together as strangers and offer each other support during times like these.
As my title reads, I am 35 years old and need dentures. I had perfect teeth most of my life. Always went to the dentist. Good dental hygiene, etc. When I was 25 I was prescribed a certain medication. It ate the enamel away from my teeth and they were destroyed. For 10 years now I have been in AGONY. Literally have oragel all over my house and car. And every other dental tool/pain reliever you can imagine. I decided a month ago enough was enough. I knew what I needed to do a few years ago but was to chicken to do it. I hate not being able to smile. Feeling ashamed of myself and watch people judge me because of my teeth. As of today I have my two front teeth and one tooth next to my front left. ( thank god we have to wear masks in public right now! I feel more comfortable wearing it so no one sees my teeth) my front bottom teeth are still perfect but that’s just the 5 that are visible. The rest are gone. I just had my fitting for The immediate dentUre for the top. My apt. Is in one week. I’m scared. I’m not scared of the extraction because I literally have 3 teeth to pull lol I have had way more invasive procedures in the past. I’m scared how I will speak, look, feel, etc. I opted to have the upper done first. Then I’m a couple months I will get a bridge for my lower teeth. I figured I would do one at a time and not overwhelm myself!

thanks for reading this! Any advice would be amazing! I am excited because I will have my smile back. I’m just scared of the plastic that will become my smile.

Hi Emma!
So happy to read that you’re excited to get your smile back. Dentures are not the end of the world and not something to be afraid or repulsed by. I suffered so many years with pain and embarrassment that I was thrilled to get dentures! I actually hate wearing a mask cause I want people to see my teeth now.
Yes it will be difficult in the beginning - there’s no sugarcoating that, but you can and will get through it. Everyone adjusts to them differently so I can’t really tell you how long it will take, but I can tell you that you will get used to them in time. At first they’re going to feel like this huge chunk of unmanageable stuff in your mouth, but try to be patient. Be kind to yourself and don’t get upset because you think you can’t do it. When I first got my immediate ones I would read out loud and sing along to songs to practice speaking with them in. It sounded to me like I had this horrible lisp and I thought everyone would judge me, but not one single person said “hey why are you talking funny?”, so it is much less worse than what you think. As for eating with them, again it will take time. If you’re getting a bridge for the lowers you will be able to eat pretty much anything. I have full uppers and lowers so I can’t bite into things like apples but I can eat most anything else.
Lastly since I’ve rambled on so long;) is that don’t be afraid to ask questions at the dentist (or here). While there are things that only the dentist can help you with, people here are always helpful and willing to listen. Best of luck!

Hi Emma!
So happy to read that you’re excited to get your smile back. Dentures are not the end of the world and not something to be afraid or repulsed by. I suffered so many years with pain and embarrassment that I was thrilled to get dentures! I actually hate wearing a mask cause I want people to see my teeth now.
Yes it will be difficult in the beginning - there’s no sugarcoating that, but you can and will get through it. Everyone adjusts to them differently so I can’t really tell you how long it will take, but I can tell you that you will get used to them in time. At first they’re going to feel like this huge chunk of unmanageable stuff in your mouth, but try to be patient. Be kind to yourself and don’t get upset because you think you can’t do it. When I first got my immediate ones I would read out loud and sing along to songs to practice speaking with them in. It sounded to me like I had this horrible lisp and I thought everyone would judge me, but not one single person said “hey why are you talking funny?”, so it is much less worse than what you think. As for eating with them, again it will take time. If you’re getting a bridge for the lowers you will be able to eat pretty much anything. I have full uppers and lowers so I can’t bite into things like apples but I can eat most anything else.
Lastly since I’ve rambled on so long;) is that don’t be afraid to ask questions at the dentist (or here). While there are things that only the dentist can help you with, people here are always helpful and willing to listen. Best of luck!
Thank you for taking the time to respond and all your personal knowledge is exactly what I need right now. I truly appreciate it and will definitely take your advice and read out loud as my speech is one of my main concerns!

Hi Emma9820

Thank you so much for sharing what you are going through and all you are doing to help yourself! You are going through alot and its alot to deal with on both a physical and emotional level! So glad you are here with us! As one who had dentures at 30, and felt so incredibly shamed of it, I came to realize through even though I was and at times still am self conscious about my teeth/dentures, no one else notices and actually the dentures look about 100x better and give me alot more confidence than I had prior to them.. Eating well I agree with Boxermom, it does take time.. little by little .. do what you feel comfortable with. and come on here and vent when needed. :) wishing you peace and calm at your appts and we are here for you !

Hi Emma9820

Thank you so much for sharing what you are going through and all you are doing to help yourself! You are going through alot and its alot to deal with on both a physical and emotional level! So glad you are here with us! As one who had dentures at 30, and felt so incredibly shamed of it, I came to realize through even though I was and at times still am self conscious about my teeth/dentures, no one else notices and actually the dentures look about 100x better and give me alot more confidence than I had prior to them.. Eating well I agree with Boxermom, it does take time.. little by little .. do what you feel comfortable with. and come on here and vent when needed. :) wishing you peace and calm at your appts and we are here for you !
Thank you so much! The first couple days after receiving the immediate denture, will I be on a liquid diet? I feel as though I won’t be able to eat anything that will need me to chew.

I was told to start with soft foods. I tried some chicken noodle soup that first night and it was hilarious- the noodles kept getting away from me lol. In my case I had full extraction under sedation so my whole mouth was sore. Hopefully you will not have that as you have fewer teeth to extract. You should able to manage soft foods like mashed potatoes, soups, puddings etc. Stay away from anything that is sticky or chewy. You may find that you have less trouble eating than you think. Like I said, everyone is different. Please don’t think I’m trying to scare you - I can only tell you my experience which is different than what yours will be. I’ve had people tell me they could eat just fine right after.

You will work your way gradually..I eventually was able to eat pretty much anything, except toffee candy.. which I miss but found alternatives :)

You will work your way gradually..I eventually was able to eat pretty much anything, except toffee candy.. which I miss but found alternatives :)
That reminds me!! Am I allowed to eat gummy bears?? Mike and Ike’s? Those are my favorites ? do I have to chew sugar free gum? Lol sorry for all the questions and thank you for your response!