• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

35 and living with 2 partial dentures ?

Z

Zara_B

Hi all new to this just looking for some advice

I had a partial fitted on 4 bottom teeth 3 weeks ago and have had no problems with it other then a little movement

yesterday I had my 4 top teeth extracted and an immediate denture place yes my teeth look so much better with no huge gaps anymore however I can’t stop gagging it’s driving me mad and advice welcome? My speech has been affected I have to talk slower otherwise I gag have to take top one out tonight and not looking forward to it scared it won’t go back in

Hi Zara.. I’m so sorry I don’t have any advice, but you are in a similar situation to me however I haven’t been brave enough to go through with the extractions! Hearing from those that have really makes me feel less like the only person on the planet with this problem at such a relatively young age.. so thank you. I hope you get some advice soon.

Hi Zara.. I’m so sorry I don’t have any advice, but you are in a similar situation to me however I haven’t been brave enough to go through with the extractions! Hearing from those that have really makes me feel less like the only person on the planet with this problem at such a relatively young age.. so thank you. I hope you get some advice soon.

Thank you for replying, I hadn’t been to the dentist in years I’m so glad I went and got what I needed done the extractions wasn’t that bad I made sure I had my headphones in and music playing that really helped me personally just this gagging that is annoying me where are you based in the uk? X

Thank you for replying, I hadn’t been to the dentist in years I’m so glad I went and got what I needed done the extractions wasn’t that bad I made sure I had my headphones in and music playing that really helped me personally just this gagging that is annoying me where are you based in the uk? X

I’m in Manchester so a little way away from you. It’s still an amazing achievement even if it wasn’t as bad as you thought. I just need the bottoms done myself, 3 middle bottom teeth. I think it’s more the recovery and knowing there’s this hole in such a prominent part of my mouth that’s scaring me the most. Just seems so graphic

I’m in Manchester so a little way away from you. It’s still an amazing achievement even if it wasn’t as bad as you thought. I just need the bottoms done myself, 3 middle bottom teeth. I think it’s more the recovery and knowing there’s this hole in such a prominent part of my mouth that’s scaring me the most. Just seems so graphic

Do you suffer with gum disease? Have they moved? It’s taking me time to adjust but I now have a nice smile yes taking them out was hard at first but it’s second nature now and no one ever sees me without them in I actually for the first time showed my husband and he was so supportive honestly get yourself to dentist will be best thing you do in long run can I ask how old you are?x

Do you suffer with gum disease? Have they moved? It’s taking me time to adjust but I now have a nice smile yes taking them out was hard at first but it’s second nature now and no one ever sees me without them in I actually for the first time showed my husband and he was so supportive honestly get yourself to dentist will be best thing you do in long run can I ask how old you are?x

I have been to the dentist actually my first appointment in years, I now need to book in for the real work which I keep putting off! I think that’s the other thing, can’t imagine my husband ever seeing me toothless! Did your bottom teeth bleed a lot when they were removed and afterwards? Yes I have gum disease and terrible tartar build up but funnily enough only in this one area on my bottom teeth. I don’t eat with them as I know they are wobbly and my gums are really receded. They are basically rotten so of course they need to come out, it’s just so final though isn’t it? The other thing I’m worried about is this massive hole in the bottom of my mouth, there’s hardly any gum there as it is I can’t imagine it healing or a partial staying in place or covering the whole hole.

I don’t think I’ve ever come across anyone here my age with the same issue, so I have to thank you again for sharing ? I am 35.

I have been to the dentist actually my first appointment in years, I now need to book in for the real work which I keep putting off! I think that’s the other thing, can’t imagine my husband ever seeing me toothless! Did your bottom teeth bleed a lot when they were removed and afterwards? Yes I have gum disease and terrible tartar build up but funnily enough only in this one area on my bottom teeth. I don’t eat with them as I know they are wobbly and my gums are really receded. They are basically rotten so of course they need to come out, it’s just so final though isn’t it? The other thing I’m worried about is this massive hole in the bottom of my mouth, there’s hardly any gum there as it is I can’t imagine it healing or a partial staying in place or covering the whole hole.

I don’t think I’ve ever come across anyone here my age with the same issue, so I have to thank you again for sharing ? I am 35.

that’s great you have been dentist first step completed, bottom is fine I only needed 2 out but went for 4 to make it look symmetrical and my tops I only needed 3 but went for 4 again to make it symmetrical when I smiled, honestly you husband won’t care he loves you for you it doesn’t change you as a person do you have Facebook?x

You’re right. It took years of worry for me just to go to the consultation, I’m still shocked I went so I’m sure I’ll get the work done eventually, just takes me time to build up to the point of no return!

yes I do, if you send me a pm with your account I can add you. Lots of love and support to you, thank you again for sharing your story.

Messaged you x

@Zara_B Hey lovely. I hope a year on, you're doing well ❤ I just found your post whilst researching my stuff! 4 front teeth, top and bottom. I'd love to hear how you are now x

Hey yes all good now taken a long while to adjust but now smiling in all my photos. Have you had your done yet? If so how you getting on?x

@Zara_B Hey, I was just reading through your post from last year and I am currently going to be in same situation as you.

I have been to dentist today and they have referred me to hospital to have 6 teeth out under GA. Once these teeth are out I am going to have hardly any teeth on upper right hand side.

Dentist hasn't mentioned anything yet but I am sure I will need a partial denture and I was just wondering how you were getting on with yours a year on?

I am only 36 and honestly the thought of getting dentures makes me want to cry...but see no other option for me so have to get used to the idea.

Would love to hear from someone who has had them in for a year or more as to what I can expect 😊

Hey thanks for getting in touch

At first I really struggled to adjust to them but after about 3 months they became a part of me and to be honest I now have the best smile ever so there are some pros to having it done

@Mum1986 I had 5 extractions and a partial lower denture fitted yesterday morning. It was with local anaesthetic. It was honestly much worse in my head then it was in reality and I’m relieved now I can smile. It’s a bit uncomfortable at the moment but certainly not horrendous and I’ve eaten soft food thus far. Took it out this morning for the first time and it was a bit sore putting it back in but again not as bad as I’d thought it might be. You will feel so much better once it is done I promise, and even if it is sore for a few days and uncomfortable for a few weeks just think what it will be like not having to worry about your teeth all the time. I’ve been terrible for the last few months and stressed about what to eat, worries about the appointments etc but I feel like I’m over a hurdle now. Good luck!

Back