• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

3rd Phase of Implant- Impressions.

R

Rusty213

I have to go Monday afternoon for the impressions... I have the WORST gag reflex... They scheduled me to be there for 1 and a half hours! How am I going to get through this without gagging and freaking out? I try to breathe through my nose the whole time, but then it just creeps in..

I DID IT!!!! I went today for upper and lower impressions... The uppers are a killer... I gag every time and hard. Sends my anxiety into over drive! The assistant did the lower one and I gagged 3 times. It was bad. I usually never gag with the bottoms. They didn't come out right so I had to do it again. The dentist did the top one. He only used a little compound and didn't do the top palate. And they put some numbing gel on it (that made me gag)..... It had to stay in there for 5 minutes. Ugh.... I didn't gag once... I breathed thru my nose and I held my hands in a fist and he counted down. I was so relieved when he hit the 30 second mark. Then he redid the bottom impression.... No gagging... I go in 2 weeks for more work..
I will have new teeth in 4-6 weeks!

Well done for going through with it. I had impressions taken a few weeks ago, I didn't gag but it felt like I was going to choke and of course as soon as the gel stuff was in place I wanted to swallow. :o

Good job though, I bet you're excited about your new smile!;D

@Rusty
No you aren't the worst. I had a patient once who vomited when I touched his nose. He was sitting up and I had nothing in my hand.

5 minutes? ??!!

Back