• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

4 Extractions, 1 Filling, and 1 Terrified CollegeBound

C

CollegeBound

Hello friends!

I got braces back in April, which has been a dream of mine since I was 16. We recently were able to afford them, and I am elated! However, I was told that there was overcrowding, and I need to get 4 extractions. I was not amused.

I then went to the dentist for an exam and cleaning, and was told that I needed a filling. Fortunately, my husband and I both switched to a dental office that specializes in fearful patients and patients and patients with special needs. This office does IV sedation for everything but the new patient consult, if needed, which is great for Hubby's Asperger's and my anxiety.

We agreed that we would do the extractions and the filling all in one appointment with deep IV sedation. The anesthesiologist called me yesterday and let me ask all the stupid questions I could, such as will I wake up and will I fight the staff off like I did with my wisdom teeth. They said that they are using Propofol, and that my mother-in-law is allowed to come with me until they I start getting sleeping.

I am nervous as hell, and have been freaking out for a solid week, and Doom's day is tomorrow at 1:45 Eastern time.

I know that there is nothing anyone can do, but just needed to vent.

Hi CollegeBound,

sounds like you are doing everything right! You are really brave to go after your dream despite the teeth that have to go and it's impressive that you asked every single thing that worried you. There are no stupid questions at all when it comes to dental anxiety and discussing what worries you is really important. It gives you the possibility to gain all the information you need to feel a bit better and at the same time it gives your dental team the possibility to understand what your fears are and therefore looking after you well. I wished everyone would have the courage to ask what they really really want to know. The fact you actually have a history of fighting dental stuff while being sedated makes it a very smart question (and I am sure your dentist would find this information relevant as well!)
Glad they allowed a trusted person come with you.

Anxiety sucks, it really does and I could imagine you are having few really hard hours in a front of you.. however, keep in mind that your anxiety now has nothing to do with whether the procedure will go well or not. From my own experience and from the post here I would say that feeling like a nervous wreck just is a part of the journey and the way through is the way out. So hang on there and do whatever helps you to get distracted and then.. see you happy and confident after your procedure :)

By the way, this site is the best for venting so feel free to write here whatever goes in your mind, it will make you feel better and helps sorting your thoughts.

All the best wishes, good luck for tomorrow and keep us posted!

IV Sedation is a smart move if you're nervous, its likely you won't even remember the majority after :) You'll smash it and will love your straight teeth once complete!

Thank you! I did not get sedated very deeply last time, so I am kind of freaking out.

Update: Had a major panic meltdown last night before bed. This really put things into perspective for my mother in law, seeing the fullest extent of terror.

Not to say she wasn't already supportive, but she actually got that this is phobia, not just slight apprehension. I hid under my blanket and rocked and cried. I was able to write down everything that bothers me, and she read it and talked me through it.

Apparently, thanks to my parents, I was trying to be too brave to save face, because I was always told how fearless I was and I was a superhero for my other (countless) surgeries, and therefore could not show weakness except in solitude.

She promised me that we could do this together. Mu husband and mom then hugged me between them for a while, reassuring me and loving me.

Still scared as hell, but no longer in the closet about it.

It sounds like it was a hard night but brought you to opening up and allowed your family to grasp the level of your anxiety. It is sometimes hard for other people to grasp the real depth of dental phobia and a lot of us had made the experience of not feeling understood or supported. Your husband and mom hugging you between them, giving you love and reassurance.. wow, what a beautiful encouraging image! :love:

Glad you feel a tiny little better now and more able to show your fears. I will keep my fingers tightly crossed for your appointment to go well and look forward to read your updates. You totally got this. :clover::clover::clover:

Hi CollegeBound,

Just saw your post - sending good thoughts your way and hoping all has gone much better than you expected. So proud of you for mustering up the courage to get things taken care of!! It's got to be great to have not one but TWO hands to hold when anxiety kicks in. Very glad you have a supportive husband and mother-in-law, especially at times like this. Keep us posted and let us know how you are.

Sorry that I forgot to update afterword. Still finishing the summer semester of school.

On the way to the appointment, I tried every trick that I could think of to get out of it. Obviously, to no avail. I brought my favorite blankie (yes. I am 23 and still have a blankie. Judge me. LOL), and when we pulled into the parking lot, I hid under it and said I was invisible and started crying again. MIL convinced me to reappear and get out of the car. I held onto her as if she were a balloon about to fly away.

We got into the office, MIL told them my name, reminded them I was nervous (as if they couldn't tell by how pale I was and the obvious fear on my face). We signed all the papers, got me into a gown, and then we walked back to the OR room area. Everyone seemed nice, and sat me in the chair and immediately started hooking up the wires and IV. The IV went extremely smooth, and the anesthesiologist was super nice. MIL stood by my head and held my hand the entire time, and I practically dragged her down in the chair with me. They warned me when the meds were released, and the last thing I remember was crying and holding MIL's hand.

The next conscious thing I remember is waking upin my bed. MIL said I did great, and there was a funny video and some funny stories (apparently, I thought my gray poodle was a rat and our black and white cat was a lemur).

Overall, I guess it went well. I did it, and was proud of myself. Am I still afraid of the dentist? Yes. Will I react like this if I ever have to do this again? Probably. But it is done. Thank you for all the positive comments and vibes.!

Your MIL sounds like a kind and loving soul. What a blessing to have her through this process. I’m so glad you were able to get over this hurdle and get the work done. Nobody gets over their phobia in a day, but you made it through the appointment and that is a huge victory! Take it easy and rest up now!

Back