• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

4 Fillings, 6 week holiday in 5 days - what to do?

Z

Zombeana

Hello, I would like some advice on an issue i have

In 2008 I had a back molar removed because id left it so long that there was hardly even any tooth left (terribly embarrassing) but I am deathly afraid of dentists. I vowed I would never let it go that far again...but alas the fear continued until I decided to go yesterday as i've had a slight pain in a tooth when i chew crunchy foods. There is no pain otherwise, but I thought best to check it out. Turns out I have 5 cavities in total !!!! but no pain as yet. Had an x-ray and there is no root canals to be done but the dentist wants me to have these fillings done over 3 treatments. Fine. Problem is i'm going abroad for 6 weeks later this week and do not have the time to do this.

I'm so worried about going away and ending up with an abscess or terrible pain. How can I prevent this? Is there some kind of temporary fix I can have on all these 5 teeth without having to have hours of treatment (and to be honest I cant afford it until I return anyways)

What is the likelihood of these 5 (she did say they were small-medium in size) cavities causing me serious issues in the next 6 weeks?

I'm terrified of having probs in a foreign country im nervous enough as it is at the dentist :(

Thanks so much for the help

I'm not a dentist but from what i know decay just doesn't progress that quickly. The fact that you are not having toothaches is good.....Brush and floss well and try to keep the areas clean. 6 weeks is not a long time.

rp

I agree with RP you would have to be very unlucky for them to suddenly flare up while you were away good luck and have a wonderful holiday xxxxx

Thank you ever so much. I am rinsing with antiseptic mouthwash after every meal and will continue with that whilst away, i have some antibiotics from a few months back which i didnt take. I'm going to bring these with me as a precaution if i get any pain or swelling... (im such a worrier!!)

I have read about temporary fillings but am not sure how i'd go about this ..seems you can buy the kit in a supermarket but i dont know how safe it is?

I doubt the temp stuff would stay in, I think it's usually used when you lose a filling and the tooth has already been prepped. Make sure that mouth wash is alcohol free, it's more likely to irritate your soft tissue from over-use.

rp

Hmm..that's a shame. at the mo i'm too scared to eat on my right side of my mouth as that's where the worst tooth is and 4/5 of the fillings and i keep panicking that its getting worse or that i can feel pain, but i think its in my head??........... maybe i can get the courage to have 1 tooth filled before we go.

bah! why is it so hard! the thought of it is taking away any excitement i had about my trip :(....

It doesn't help that in Feb this year a friend i had at school died from a tooth abscess that ruptured and gave her septicemia. I just can't get this out of my mind. I dont know the full story of her death, but she had a toothache for a few weeks before her death and the cause was blood poisoning. I am going out of my mind with worry :( I'm only 23!!

Your cavities probably won't progress that fast, especially if you are good at keeping them clean. Small cavities will heal by themselves and bigger ones will stop progressing with improved hygiene and fluoride. If you're still worried, I think you should call your dentist and discuss it.

:)

Back