• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

4 teeth extracted. I don't know what to do. Please help.

S

Skaredykat

It's been about a day and a half since my operation. I got 4 teeth extracted. My problem is, I've sort of just stopped eating in general in fear of disrupting the blood clot, or getting an infection. That's why I came here. To ask some questions and get rid of my worries.
1. How easy is it to dislodge the blood clot? I'm worried any little disturbance will dislodge it and I'll end up with dry socket.
2. What can I eat that won't affect the blood clot? Right now, all I've been having are yogurt cups, glasses of milk. Virtually nothing.
3. How am I supposed to brush my teeth well if I'm supposed to brush gently around the extraction sites. This is a problem because the teeth pulled out were the ones in every corner of my mouth(pretty much) one tooth in the upper left, upper right, lower right, lower left.

There are certain conditions that make it a bit more likely to dislodge a clot, like being a smoker or vaper, or using a straw. This still doesn't make it a guarantee. I vaped a couple of days after full extractions (every tooth) and I was fine!

Sometimes it is luck of the draw, but the clots are generally not that easy to disturb without creating significant, repeated suction in the mouth. Even then, there are people who start smoking immediately after and are fine.

I stuck to liquids for two days after my extractions. I recommend protein shakes, soup, and things like that. On the third day I moved to soft solids, boiled potatoes, mincemeat, and boiled broccoli, and I was just fine!

As for brushing, just be super gentle in the corners of your mouth. Move the brush very slowly and gently - that way you will still remove major debris around your molars. If you spit out a little blood, do not panic! That's very normal. Gums heal quickly, but the new gum tissue is more tender and prone to bleeding. A little bit of blood is nothing to worry about.

The sign to look out for when it comes to dry socket is throbbing pain. With every hour, your risk of developing it lessens. Even if you got super unlucky and got dry socket, it's very treatable! It's one of the most common complications, but that doesn't mean it's common overall - most people do not get it. :)

Thank you so much for clearing that up. Before I thought that a gentle nudge or poke from my curious tongue would dislodge the blood clot.

I cannot remember what I had when I had some of my baby teeth removed when I was nine not due to decay but to make room for my adult tooth.

When I had a molar removed in 2006 I had some strawberry pudding and a few other stuff foods. I brushed very carefully not to cause damage to the clot

Back