• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

4 Wisdom teeth extracted, Post Removal Freak Out

A

AnxiousSwirls

Ok, so i haven't been able to eat anything solid for three days. I'm freaking out. 1. because i'm craving solids/not getting enough calories by drinking liquids. 2. because my lip and chin have been numb ever since the extraction. I'm freaking out and i just want this to be over with. what can i do to calm myself??? What if they damaged a nerve or something and that's why feeling isn't coming back? Here're before and after photos 20190531_131631.jpgphoto_2019-06-30_16-51-06.jpg Please help!!

Hi there, this sounds worthy to get checked by your dentist, I am surprised you got on with the numbness for three days already. Have you tried to contact them already?

Hi there, this sounds worthy to get checked by your dentist, I am surprised you got on with the numbness for three days already. Have you tried to contact them already?

Unfortunately, they don't open until monday, so I'm screwed until then. I went to the ER and they said it's just because my face is swollen that I can't feel anything. But i have a hard time believing it would stay numb for three days. I'm on the borderline of an anxiety attack.

As far as the numbness, when I had a bottom molar extracted, my cheek and lip were numb for four days, and the feeling came back after the swelling went down.

I also had an apicoectomy on my front tooth earlier this year. The endodontist did actually dmage a nerve, and my whole upper gums were numb and my lip was tingly. The feeling did come back after about two months, with the exception of one small area above my lateral incisor. I honestly can't even tell anymore unless I am poking at it.

As far as the numbness, when I had a bottom molar extracted, my cheek and lip were numb for four days, and the feeling came back after the swelling went down.

I also had an apicoectomy on my front tooth earlier this year. The endodontist did actually dmage a nerve, and my whole upper gums were numb and my lip was tingly. The feeling did come back after about two months, with the exception of one small area above my lateral incisor. I honestly can't even tell anymore unless I am poking at it.

Thanks for your input! I'll call them tomorrow and let them know it's still feeling numb. I'll wait until the swelling goes down and maybe the pressure will release on my nerves. Thanks for telling me about your experience! This really gives me some reassurance!

Hi @AnxiousSwirls, any updates? I hope you are feeling better

Thank you for checking up with me! I actually have been having excruciating pain on my right side for a couple days. I'm in the dentist office now waiting for them to call me back. This is the 5th day. I was in the car earlier and blew my nose and a bunch of puss came out of my right side cheek (Needless to say, a mouthful. It was gross). But ever since then, there has been minimal pain, so I'm assuming it was infected with that puss building pressure. My chin is still completely dead, I'll be sure to update everyone more in a few days!

:grouphug: That looks painful.. Glad you are there and getting it checked out.

You poor thing, hope your dentist gave you some answers x

My chin is still dead. I read up that it can take up to six months for the nerve to regenerate and repair itself. If I have to deal with this for half a year I'm going to go insane. I did clean up the infection in my cheek and finally was able to softly brush my teeth. The infection is still giving me a horrendous amount of pain. They did give me antibiotics so hopefully it will clear up soon.

More updates soon!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190703-134953_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190703-134953_Chrome.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 9
Hi there, hope you are doing better by now, what you are going through with the infection sounds like a nightmare. I was a bit surprised that you had read about the nerve damage while obviously having seen a dentist lately. Didn‘t they give you any input / support / explanation/ advice?

Hi there, hope you are doing better by now, what you are going through with the infection sounds like a nightmare. I was a bit surprised that you had read about the nerve damage while obviously having seen a dentist lately. Didn‘t they give you any input / support / explanation/ advice?

I'm doing much better. I realise now that it was an abscess in my mouth from the food getting caught in the infection site. My chin has a small bit of feeling back, but the sides of my chin are still numb. The infection is about gone and I can eat normally again. ??

Also no, they gave me little to no information on the recovery process so I had to look up everything myself ?

Also no, they gave me little to no information on the recovery process so I had to look up everything myself ?

This is heavy. Googling and doing own research if having no dentists and no possibility of getting one is one thing, but once you have a dentist responsible for your care I would expect them to take care of it as googling is not comparable to being examined by a health care professional..

This is heavy. Googling and doing own research if having no dentists and no possibility of getting one is one thing, but once you have a dentist responsible for your care I would expect them to take care of it as googling is not comparable to being examined by a health care professional..

Yeah and I asked them if they could clean out the debris on the infection and they didn't even look at it. So I had to use a q-tip to clear it out. After, I felt a lot better, and with the help of antibiotics.

Back