• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

4 x premolar extractions (adult ortho)

P

Pab

Hi all,

I'm a 31 year old guy just about to have braces fitted. In order to make space (things are fairly crowded), my ortho has suggested having my 4 2nd premolars removed. He said the option was there to keep all teeth, but that my smile would've been out quite (maybe too) far. He also said that extractions are generally avoided unless really necessary, but in this case he thinks it best.

I'm worried that after the extractions my appearance will change. My biggest worry is that once the braces come off, my teeth will be quite far back in my mouth.

A question for the dentists: As well as the front teeth moving back, will my 1st and 2nd molars move forward to close the gaps during treatment? Or will the molars stay put and everything move back to meet them?

A question for your orthodontist methinks, without seeing your mouth it's impossible to tell.

Back