5 days to torture time

L

lbenzineb

It's getting closer to the time that I have to face the music at the dentist. After 12 years of avoidance, I'm in a real mess. I'm having 6 teeth worked on this Monday, 2 crowns, 4 fillings and on 3 of the teeth, he has to go very close to the nerve. I am going to try oral sedation. I keep telling myself, "The sedation will work". "I will feel no pain". and "I will not get sick". No matter how many times I repeat these three things, my brain and stomach don't want to get the message. Part of the problem is that with the sedation, I will feel out of control, even though I need something to get me in that chair. They have allowed 3 hours for my appointment. 3 LONG hours of pain, noise and smells. I know I will not die in that chair. I know the dentist isn't going to kill me. I know all the rational arguments, but when it comes to the dentist, I am so irrational. I even went to a psychologist to try and help me. That's where I came up with my 3 phrases. Has someone gone into the dentist's office and came out feeling better than when they went in? Give me some encouragement. Please. :cry:

FearfulInMA

FearfulInMA

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have often come out of the office feeling much better than when I went in. I think I often feel so relieved after appointments that I almost giddy - also just proud of myself for getting through it. I think the best example was my first root canal. I was beyond petrified to go... Could barely even talk by the time I got to the appointment and was in so much pain. I was pretty convinced that there was no way I would survive the appointment. But, from the moment the endodontist gave me the injections to numb my tooth, I felt absolutely nothing. And, once the anesthetic wore off I was without pain for the first time in weeks and I remember eating a huge sandwich.

I know that the next few days will be awful anticipating the appt, but that will likely be the worst part. Please let us know how it goes.

L

lbenzineb

Thank you so much for the encouraging words! They mean more than you know, since I get NO support from my family. On top of this appt. I have another on 3/23 and 3/30 for a total of 13 teeth! Then in April and May, I have to go for a deep cleaning, which doesn't bother me as much. I don't mind the needles or the numbing. My biggest, biggest fear is pain.