• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

5 days to torture time

L

lbenzineb

It's getting closer to the time that I have to face the music at the dentist. After 12 years of avoidance, I'm in a real mess. I'm having 6 teeth worked on this Monday, 2 crowns, 4 fillings and on 3 of the teeth, he has to go very close to the nerve. I am going to try oral sedation. I keep telling myself, "The sedation will work". "I will feel no pain". and "I will not get sick". No matter how many times I repeat these three things, my brain and stomach don't want to get the message. Part of the problem is that with the sedation, I will feel out of control, even though I need something to get me in that chair. They have allowed 3 hours for my appointment. 3 LONG hours of pain, noise and smells. I know I will not die in that chair. I know the dentist isn't going to kill me. I know all the rational arguments, but when it comes to the dentist, I am so irrational. I even went to a psychologist to try and help me. That's where I came up with my 3 phrases. Has someone gone into the dentist's office and came out feeling better than when they went in? Give me some encouragement. Please. :cry:

I have often come out of the office feeling much better than when I went in. I think I often feel so relieved after appointments that I almost giddy - also just proud of myself for getting through it. I think the best example was my first root canal. I was beyond petrified to go... Could barely even talk by the time I got to the appointment and was in so much pain. I was pretty convinced that there was no way I would survive the appointment. But, from the moment the endodontist gave me the injections to numb my tooth, I felt absolutely nothing. And, once the anesthetic wore off I was without pain for the first time in weeks and I remember eating a huge sandwich.

I know that the next few days will be awful anticipating the appt, but that will likely be the worst part. Please let us know how it goes.

Thank you so much for the encouraging words! They mean more than you know, since I get NO support from my family. On top of this appt. I have another on 3/23 and 3/30 for a total of 13 teeth! Then in April and May, I have to go for a deep cleaning, which doesn't bother me as much. I don't mind the needles or the numbing. My biggest, biggest fear is pain.

Back