• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

5 Wisdom Teeth

E

evanpelt17

Hey guys,

I have to get five wisdom teeth removed soon. I’ve been stressing and freaking out and anxious about this for two months now. It’s always on my mind. I can’t seem to stop thinking about it. I’ve lost sleep and I’m eating poorly, because in my mind, I don’t see a point in taking care of myself anymore. I know that seems pretty dramatic. I have anxiety and depression as well as bipolar. I’ve never gone through any kind of surgery in my life before, I’ve also heard plenty of horror stories about a drug called Versed, and when I looked at the website of the oral surgeon my mom wants me to go see, it says that’s what she uses for IV sedation. I’m afraid of the prospect of going under and I hate needles. I also made the dumb mistake of watching extractions on Instagram today. I’m mostly terrified of the pain after it’s all over and the Novocain wears off. I’m 20 and I don’t know if my body is gonna be able to handle the pain of getting five teeth removed at once. My normal four wisdom teeth have fully erupted. However, my abnormal tooth is sitting behind my upper right wisdom tooth and is causing me pain all throughout my sinuses. I have a constant earache because of it. It’s impacted and only the very tip of the tooth is currently poking through the gum. I need encouragement right now more than ever. I get panic attacks just thinking about this procedure. I’ve read just about everything I can about the procedure and I’m still freaking out! I know I’ve also posted before, but I’m worried beyond belief. I could’ve gotten this taken care of in September, but my mom wanted me to wait to come home until Thanksgiving. Honestly, that just quadrupled my anxiety because I have had this huge two-month gap to think about it and do research. My heart sometimes hurts and I’m afraid that I’ll have a heart attack while I’m under. My four regular wisdom teeth haven’t caused any problems. It’s literally just this ONE tooth. I don’t want to get the normal four removed, as it feels like I use them to chew. I don’t know if I’m gonna be able to go through with this. However, I’m in pain. I wish there was a way that the woman I’m seeing could only take the one tooth that’s actually bothering me out and leave the rest in. It feels like they’ve come in fine and have no problems. I know only she will be able to tell, but I don’t see the point in unnecessary pain. Do you think we can make this compromise? I’m a bit upset with my mom for not just letting me get this over with, as it’s literally effected the quality of my schoolwork these past few months when it’s something that could already have been a thing of the past. Also, the anxiety of having to fly home to do this is making this worse. I’ve heard really good things about the surgeon my mom wants me to see, but I don’t think my body can handle this kind of trauma. Does anyone have ANY thoughts? I’m worried sick and just need someone to share their own experience with me. Is there anyone else here who had five wisdom teeth removed? How bad was it? Thank you.

I had six wisdom teeth removed as a teen, all impacted. The extra two were both on the same side, and the surgeon said they were actually easier to remove because the extra ones are usually smaller. The extras did not cause any issues at all.

Funny thing is that a few years ago, an x ray showed that I actually had another wisdom tooth show up, which made number 7. It was right behind my upper 2nd molar and was small, but had a really long root. It was not erupted at all. I had to get it out, and was amazed at how quick and easy it was. I was expecting it to be very difficult considering it was pressing against my molar, but the surgeon said it came right out.

Good luck on yours. There are always horror stories out there, but the majority of extractions are straightforward with no issues.

I had six wisdom teeth removed as a teen, all impacted. The extra two were both on the same side, and the surgeon said they were actually easier to remove because the extra ones are usually smaller. The extras did not cause any issues at all.

Funny thing is that a few years ago, an x ray showed that I actually had another wisdom tooth show up, which made number 7. It was right behind my upper 2nd molar and was small, but had a really long root. It was not erupted at all. I had to get it out, and was amazed at how quick and easy it was. I was expecting it to be very difficult considering it was pressing against my molar, but the surgeon said it came right out.

Good luck on yours. There are always horror stories out there, but the majority of extractions are straightforward with no issues.
I’m just so scared that I won’t be able to handle the pain after the extractions! I’m also worried that since it feels like the fifth tooth is connected to a nerve that runs up against my ear, there will be damage or there will be a big opening to my sinuses!

I’m just so scared that I won’t be able to handle the pain after the extractions! I’m also worried that since it feels like the fifth tooth is connected to a nerve that runs up against my ear, there will be damage or there will be a big opening to my sinuses!

Well, I can tell you that I had an apicoectomy on my 2nd upper molar after a failed root canal. It did open a hole to my sinus, which wasn't nearly as big of a deal as what I had thought it would be. I was told not to blow my nose for a few weeks, and it closed up nicely.

As far as nerve damage, it isn't likely, and if you do get any, it isn't usually permanent. I am one of those unlucky people who almost always have the "rare" cases happen, like 7 wisdom teeth, root canals all fail, etc. I had a chip to my front tooth as a child, and the tooth slowly died over the years, and 30 years later it abscessed. The dentist said it was so strange. Anyway, I had an apico on that tooth, which resulted in nerve damage, which is really rare. The area was completely numb for almost 4 months, but did resolve itself eventually.
So even if the worst happens, it really isn't as bad as what you imagine. I have learned that over the past year.

Well, I can tell you that I had an apicoectomy on my 2nd upper molar after a failed root canal. It did open a hole to my sinus, which wasn't nearly as big of a deal as what I had thought it would be. I was told not to blow my nose for a few weeks, and it closed up nicely.

As far as nerve damage, it isn't likely, and if you do get any, it isn't usually permanent. I am one of those unlucky people who almost always have the "rare" cases happen, like 7 wisdom teeth, root canals all fail, etc. I had a chip to my front tooth as a child, and the tooth slowly died over the years, and 30 years later it abscessed. The dentist said it was so strange. Anyway, I had an apico on that tooth, which resulted in nerve damage, which is really rare. The area was completely numb for almost 4 months, but did resolve itself eventually.
So even if the worst happens, it really isn't as bad as what you imagine. I have learned that over the past year.
How bad was the pain for you after the Novocain wore off? Was it unbearable? Like I said, I’m afraid my body won’t be able to handle it, especially since it’s my first surgery ever.

How bad was the pain for you after the Novocain wore off? Was it unbearable? Like I said, I’m afraid my body won’t be able to handle it, especially since it’s my first surgery ever.

I would not worry about it. The anxiety is way worse than the actual procedure. As for the pain I used advil and tylenol together and it was more than adequate
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

YOU CAN DO IT

Evanpelt17,

This is definately a lot to think about and process . and sometimes it helps to have more information and sometimes like googling and instagramming doesn't do us favors.. I totally know from experience.. also sometimes time helps and sometimes the time just brings more anxiety and thoughts . Sounds like there are alot of fears and anxieties. about the whole process. and that would be so normal as you've never had surgery before and now they are talking 5 wisdom teeth under sedation.

Now I've never had 5 wisdom teeth out at once. but I've had 4 wisdom teeth out.. 1,1, and 2 . The worst thing of all my experiences was finding out I was allergic to codeine.. and getting sick.. other than that it wasn't too bad or painful at all. I was actually surprised at that. I was given pain pills and mostly took them the first night to make sure I was good .

Is there a really dire reason you need all 5 out now? You mentioned only one you were having problems with, so is there just one that is painful? if so... could you start with one ? and is there an option to do just local or oral sedation if you are nervous about the sedation ?

Did you go to a consult at all with the surgeon to ask questions.. I know you mentioned "the woman you are seeing" have you met her yet? or just know who it is? I hope it is someone who is anxious friendly .. could you call or email them to ask questions?

Well. sorry if this is long.. just wanted to give my support and encouragement .. Really wishing you the best in this.

Evanpelt17,

This is definately a lot to think about and process . and sometimes it helps to have more information and sometimes like googling and instagramming doesn't do us favors.. I totally know from experience.. also sometimes time helps and sometimes the time just brings more anxiety and thoughts . Sounds like there are alot of fears and anxieties. about the whole process. and that would be so normal as you've never had surgery before and now they are talking 5 wisdom teeth under sedation.

Now I've never had 5 wisdom teeth out at once. but I've had 4 wisdom teeth out.. 1,1, and 2 . The worst thing of all my experiences was finding out I was allergic to codeine.. and getting sick.. other than that it wasn't too bad or painful at all. I was actually surprised at that. I was given pain pills and mostly took them the first night to make sure I was good .

Is there a really dire reason you need all 5 out now? You mentioned only one you were having problems with, so is there just one that is painful? if so... could you start with one ? and is there an option to do just local or oral sedation if you are nervous about the sedation ?

Did you go to a consult at all with the surgeon to ask questions.. I know you mentioned "the woman you are seeing" have you met her yet? or just know who it is? I hope it is someone who is anxious friendly .. could you call or email them to ask questions?

Well. sorry if this is long.. just wanted to give my support and encouragement .. Really wishing you the best in this.
Hi! Yeah, I’ve never met this woman. She seems to have really good reviews online. I heard oral sedation takes longer to work and I don’t know if I would be calm enough to get in the chair. How bad was the pain for you on a scale of 1-10?

Evanpelt.

That is great she has good reviews! Thats a good sign. I would say for 2 of the teeth , it waslike a 2-3 on scale of 1-20.. when I had the 2 out at a time. maybe a 4/5 for a night then better the next day.

Evanpelt.

That is great she has good reviews! Thats a good sign. I would say for 2 of the teeth , it waslike a 2-3 on scale of 1-20.. when I had the 2 out at a time. maybe a 4/5 for a night then better the next day.
Did you get put under? If so, what was it like? This surgeon uses Versed (but I have heard scary things about the drug) and am skeptical.

I would not worry about it. The anxiety is way worse than the actual procedure. As for the pain I used advil and tylenol together and it was more than adequate
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

YOU CAN DO IT
Were you put under?

Were you put under?

I was not. I used nitrous and it was perfect. The amount of time to actually remove the teeth not counting the time it takes to get numb was about 3 minutes.

If the oral surgeon you are seeing was like mine then they should give an option. The let me use gas and if that did not work the. The would switch to twilight sedation. I think the main advantage of gas over twilight section is that a you are almost immediately sober after they stop the gas.

I was not. I used nitrous and it was perfect. The amount of time to actually remove the teeth not counting the time it takes to get numb was about 3 minutes.

If the oral surgeon you are seeing was like mine then they should give an option. The let me use gas and if that did not work the. The would switch to twilight sedation. I think the main advantage of gas over twilight section is that a you are almost immediately sober after they stop the gas.
And you did all four?

Hi Evanpelt17

I did not get put under for the dental, but I've been put under with versed and midzolem before and also propofal for several medical procedures the last 5 years. All of these worked amazingly for me.. no issues during or after. just like I went to sleep and woke up . Sedation does always scare me being kind of "out of control" and not knowing what is going on.. but nothing but smooth experiences.

And you did all four?

I did not.

only 2. I was giving all the novocaine they could give to remove the two so getting the others pulled at the same time was not an option.

It will not be unbearable. The anticipation is worse than the recovery. You will most likely be just fine with just ibuprofen. Even with my most complex dental surgery (extraction, bone grafting, gum flap and bone removal, and implant) I had used Tramadol the first night, with Tylenol and after that.

Hi Evanpelt17

I did not get put under for the dental, but I've been put under with versed and midzolem before and also propofal for several medical procedures the last 5 years. All of these worked amazingly for me.. no issues during or after. just like I went to sleep and woke up . Sedation does always scare me being kind of "out of control" and not knowing what is going on.. but nothing but smooth experiences.
Hey. I’ve heard really scared things about Versed and how people wake up mid-surgery and are unable to move or alert the doctors but they feel what’s happening. They’re just paralyzed. Would you mind detailing your personal experiences on Midazolam?

It will not be unbearable. The anticipation is worse than the recovery. You will most likely be just fine with just ibuprofen. Even with my most complex dental surgery (extraction, bone grafting, gum flap and bone removal, and implant) I had used Tramadol the first night, with Tylenol and after that.
I’m so sorry because I feel like I keep asking, but were you put under via IV for anything in life? If it was with Versed, how was that? I heard scary shit about midazolam.

I did not.

only 2. I was giving all the novocaine they could give to remove the two so getting the others pulled at the same time was not an option.
How was your pain overall?

I’m so sorry because I feel like I keep asking, but were you put under via IV for anything in life? If it was with Versed, how was that? I heard scary shit about midazolam.

Don't apologize...we are all here because we have fears and want to ask questions! ?
For my wisdom teeth surgery, I was put under, but I don't remember what it was. I actually did wake up during the surgery, but felt nothing, and all I remember is seeing the lights, and the surgeon's face and him telling me to go back to sleep. So I did. Lol. I was so out of it that it felt like a dream at the time, and I honestly didn't even feel a thing.

When I had my molars extracted more recently (and the extra wisdom tooth), it was with nitrous oxide and I was awake. Again, it wasn't nearly as bad as I had thought. The anticipation leading up to the surgery is much worse than the reality.

Back