• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

5 year old with toothache

M

MumOfBoys1985

I will phone our own dentist on Monday but I wondered if our friendly dentists here could offer some reassurance in the meantime as I am getting a bit anxious that there might be a problem.

My 5 year old is complaining of toothache - I have had a good look around his mouth and cant see any sign of any cavities. His gums look normal. He has a lower back molar just erupting and the gum looks a bit sore (the top one on the same side is also breaking through). Hes also just getting a wobbly front bottom one (his first wobbly one) so lots going on in his little mouth at the moment.

Is it likely his "toothache" is from his erupting molars rather than any other problem? He can't pin point the pain exactly and as I say I will call our dentist on Monday incase he needs reviewing but is it normal that the pain from one tooth might actually cause the pain somewhere else in the mouth in a child so young?

Thank you so much in advance. I suspect I am panicking unnecessarily.

Yes, you can't really rely on children that young giving clear indications. He's almost certainly having some teething pains, they seem to get worse at bedtime too, I suspect the change in body angle has some effect. A spoonful of Calpol at bedtime might help if he can take it.

Yes, you can't really rely on children that young giving clear indications. He's almost certainly having some teething pains, they seem to get worse at bedtime too, I suspect the change in body angle has some effect. A spoonful of Calpol at bedtime might help if he can take it.

Thanks Gordon. Hes been really dribbly the last couple of days (into tissues) - is that something that happens at this age with new teeth coming? I know babies are renowned for it but my older child sailed through getting his molars with little problem which was why I was a little worried there might be more to it. Hes always been a contrary little monkey this one! ?

Youre right though, at 5 they're not the most reliable of sources at the best of times. I will give him a dose of calpol and see how we go. Hes been complaining again this morning (although really easily distracted by some god awful YouTube video!) And I have had a really good look around his mouth and apart from the obvious top and bottom molars coming through on one side and the gum being slightly swollen around those, there's no sign of anything else - no discolouration, holes, broken bits, lumps etc.

Thanks so much Gordon, as always. Im sorry I am such a nuisance, my anxieties around teeth dont seem to be letting up, especially when the kiddos start saying their teeth hurt, it's gets me really agitated.

Not a problem, thanks to lockdown here it's not like I've got a lot else to do anyway!
A bit extra salivation is normal when they're teething. It's just the general oral stimulation doing it.
Don't be surprised if he grinds a bit at night just now too, it's very common during this "mixed dentition" phase he's going through.

Not a problem, thanks to lockdown here it's not like I've got a lot else to do anyway!
A bit extra salivation is normal when they're teething. It's just the general oral stimulation doing it.
Don't be surprised if he grinds a bit at night just now too, it's very common during this "mixed dentition" phase he's going through.

I have just had a recheck as he is dribbling ridiculously, where his bottom wobbly one is, the adult tooth is growing behind it, my older sons teeth have all done this so far (he's lost 8 i think so far). So we have another shark teeth in the family ?

They nearly all do that Ma'am. The big tooth gets moved into place by the action of the tongue thrusting it forward as it comes through.

Back