• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Supernumerary tooth in 9-month-old child

M

missjackson78

My 9 month old son has 7 teeth four on top three on bottom, but I have recently noticed a large extra tooth directly behind the top two right it is about the size of two teeth....What is this is it normal........:(

sounds like his teeth are coming in quite early - every kid is different however! sounds like they are coming in the right order- but book an appointment with a dentist to have a look. it would be good to get him in the habit of going for checkups.
Mike

Last edited:
on the subject of babies
teeth,,,,,,,,,,, my grandson will a year old in 4 weeks time. Last week saw his first tooth peeking through. My son took him to the dentist to check things out, and he was told " the later the teeth come in , the stronger they are? And that he may need to have his "baby teeth" surgically removed to make way for the adult teeth?

I don't think there is any evidence or link to either. what do the other dentists think- have you ever read anything that says this? I've certainly heard it said before- but always thought that there wasn't much in it.
(btw- my son didn't get any teeth until after his 1st birthday- he could walk before he had any teeth!!)

And that he may need to have his "baby teeth" surgically removed to make way for the adult teeth?

That's a bit of a dumb thing to say to the parent of a young baby/toddler - not exactly gping to encourage them to attend regularly is it? Don't see why you wouldn't just wait for teeth to appear when they are ready?

okay so the tooth directly behind his two front teeth thats the size of two put together is normal...not beside them but directly behind them back to back........:(

This is what i found on the net...... supernumerary teeth, which are teeth additional to the regular number of chompers and can be found in almost any region of the horseshoe-shaped dental arch. They are most common in the central incisors, or front teeth... Maybe this is what it is idk.............:(

I see- I misunderstood your first post- sorry!
Really hard to say without a look- but supernumeray is certainly possible. It could just be that the canine has started to come in slightly out of position.
Make an appointment to get a dentist to have a look, and let us know.
Supernumeray isn't very common in decidous teeth (although possible)- i haven't ever seen a case. I've seen about a dozen cases in adult teeth.
So my money would be on the canine- just a guess though!
Let us know!

Like Mike, I've never ever seen a supernumerary baby tooth and I've been doing this a lot longer than Mike has.

thanks to all i guess we will make a appointment to find out but nobody will c him here so gotta go to indy ty for all ur help..........ill let you know what i find out;D

Back