• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

9 teeth need to be fixed and I’m feelin hopeless

It’s crazy how tomorrow is Thursday already and I’m having very little anxiety about my dentist appt for 3 fillings on Monday. Thank you all for helping me get a handle on my anxiety. As long as I don’t feel anything, I’ll be golden!

I think sometimes its much easier to cope with something when you know what you're dealing with. You sound like you're totally in control so I am sure you're going to do great. It will be over before you know it.

I definitely get anxious in the days prior to the appointment. I think Monday appointments are good though because you have the weekend that hopefully is distracting and enjoyable. Is your appointment early or late on Monday?

My appt is at 1pm tomorrow, and I’m feeling pretty ok. It’s amazing how far I’ve come from my last appt... I’m feeling pretty lucky. I’m still pretty scared and don’t wanna go but I just have to push through. I’ll check back in tomorrow after my appt to let you all know how I did! 3 fillings tomorrow. Hopefully I’ll get and stay numb so I don’t feel a thing.

That’s a wonderful thing! Can’t wait to hear how you do!

Well the day is here, t minus 4 hours and I’ll be in the chair. I’ll be honest early morning appts are better so I don’t have to sit here and fend off the anxiety. I’m so much better than last time I had to go to an appt... maybe cuz I know I’m getting 3 fillings today. I just hope I get frozen. I hate feeling nerve pain at the dentist. Sometimes I don’t get fully numb which is the base of my fear. I guess it’s time for some meditation to keep a lid on it.

Good luck! Please let us know how it goes :clover:

Thank you I’m feelin like I need it, the nerves are really setting in now at this point. I hope that it’s an easy appt.

Guys I made it! Three fillings on my upper right side and I didn’t have any pain at all. My dentist is a literal angel on this earth! I go back in a month but I have a nice little break now thanks to all of you!!!

That’s wonderful. Well done! What a great feeling!!

Brilliant news. Well done you

Well I’m just posting cuz I feel helpless. I have work (fillings) be done on 9 teeth, hopefully over 4 or 5 appts. My first one is this coming Monday and I’m terrified. My dentist doesn’t offer nitrous or iv sedation but I can take some lorazepam before I go to calm me down. I’m terrified to not get fully numb as it has happened in the past.

just feel like it will never get better because I have work to be done in all four quadrants of my mouth. Some teeth need multiple fillings and I have no idea how I will get through it all.

should I go to a new dental clinic that offers nitrous and Iv sedation so I don’t work myself up so badly every time I have to go to the dentist?

I really want to get all my work done this year. I want to be better and take better care of my teeth but it feels very very very hopeless.
Well done on your first step ....you'll be glad when it's all over , I know it's hard but better in the long run and for your health that's what I keep saying to myself to get me through it ...I've suffered with mental anxiety most of my life and the dentist sends it to another level ...but I made the first appointment in 30 years in December there because my teeth where in an earful state and still are but iam getting ongoing work done now ..... I've had 3 extractions since ,,and another for today ?.... Just keep telling yourself you can do this it's for your own health ....

thanks for your message jay! Man am I relieved today knowing I got through my appointment. I’m sure you feel the same way and we are on such a good path right now to fixing all our teeth so we can take care of them for the rest of our lives. My dental habits have improved, I’m drinking more water and meditating sometimes, it’s fascinating how little changes can really have big impacts. Keep going till it’s all done! How freeing it will be:) even if it means having a few less teeth. I’ve lost my two back molars on the top side and don’t wanna lose any more. Good luck on your journey! We will all be here if you need us

Good news guys! Went back in today and got two fillings done ALL BY MYSELF. I didn’t have to take any lorazepam before, I drove myself, and got through the whole entire appt. I only have 3 fillings left over 2 more appts, I can’t believe I’m almost done. My dentist commented that my gums look great, and also mentioned my breathing control has improved greatly, so much that I should teach other dental patients! I’m so happy you guys, the dental phobia has definitely decreased into manageable anxiety at this point for me. You are all a part of that for me so thank you all so much!

That's brilliant! ?

Another appt down, fam. And again with no lorazepam before! Just one filling on my lower left side, it took less than a half hour :)

I only have one more appt (April 1) to finish my fillings, 2 more on my lower left. I feel like these will be the hardest to get through for some reason, maybe because one filling is a gum line cavity filling. Anyone have any experience with that before? I can’t believe I’m almost done. It’s been 4 appts in 2 months! SO worth it!

In my own experience, I had a lot of dental work done in my 20s and 30s, but haven't had anything but checkups and a hole in a crown fixed since then. (25 years) So I think your teeth can be returned to a state of stability and be kept that way. (I just don't eat candy-candy except on the big holidays when I treat myself and worry.) See if you can determine what's causing the cavities and if it's possible to cut that factor out. It will be okay.

hi Champ, not even cavities? I want so badly to get to this point at least for another 20 years or so

Last edited:
IzzyBelly2, no not even cavities. I did make some dietary changes: no more gum unless sugarless (and no-pure sugar candies like Swedish fish and such except on major holidays) and I quit smoking.

I also read somewhere that it's good to eat cheese after sugar, so on holidays when I do eat those candies, I eat cheese right after. (It's a weird combo but I can feel the difference. I think it supposedly neutralizes the acid that causes decay. It would be interesting to have some of the dentists weigh in on the cheese thing.)

Back