• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

A Cautionary Tale ...

M

Mimi

I'm really sorry, I just didn't know where the correct place to put this was or even if it was appropriate for these boards ... just wanted to tell you about my daughter's experience.

I have been a member of these boards for over a year and found some wonderful suppport when I really needed it after years of dental phobia.  I'm determined that my own children won't suffer as I did and have been scrupulous with their dental hygiene and have found them excellent and very child-friendly dentists.

Anyway, we have just had a holiday in France and my 12 year old daughter lost a tiny filling while there ... it was the only one she had and my husband took her straight to a french dentist who as far as we were concerned drilled and filled with temporary covering.  We were a little surprised that he hadn't done a complete new filling.  He charged us £30 odd.

I took my daughter to her own dentist yesterday and she while removing the temp filling she was horrified to find that the french dentist had started to remove one of the nerves.  Now, whether this was a complete accident I don't know.  Suffice to say my poor little girl has had to have root canal treatment started (or lose the tooth) ... she was in the chair for an hour yesterday and has a 2 hour follow up next week.  Thank goodness she is very confident at the dentist (so far) and actually fell asleep during treatment yesterday.

I'm just fuming (as is her dentist) ... you do your best and then some inept foreign dentist does this  :mad:

Sorry, just needed to rant  :(

Mimi

Mimi said:
Thank goodness she is very confident at the dentist (so far) and actually fell asleep during treatment yesterday.

Don't know what to say really - sounds like she'll be okay....if she can fall asleep during an RCT, she's in absolutely no discomfort. Good job she had the right dentist to go back to. Was she okay with the French experience until you found this out?

Hi Brit :)

I think there may have been a slight case of "lost in translation" with the french dentist and he must have thought she was in a lot of pain (which she wasn't) so kept on drilling. Next holiday I'm going to get one of those temporary filling kits from Boots and do my own thing should the need arise :mad:

Mimi x

Sorry to hear of your daughters experience in france. :cry:

But boy is she brave and obviously very relaxed at the dentist, wish I could fall asleep during treatment. :respect:

Hopefully everything will be put right by next week.

Best of luck
take care
x

I'm sorry as well. I would be so angry with the french dentist as well! :sick: But it'll be okey, your daughter is brave and she'll make it!
I wish her good luck!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: