• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

A couple root canal questions

Z

Zach_H

As mentioned in the support section of the site, I have a panic disorder (am in therapy)and am starting to freak out a bit about an upcoming root canal. I'm hoping to ask a few questions to perhaps ease my mind...

Once the procedure starts (back molar) after x-rays etc...how long does it usually take to complete? I ask because my fear is of being trapped in the chair, and I'm not sure how long I can stay calm, even with Valium.

Is it possible in the middle of the procedure to get up and use the restroom should the need arise? This also falls into the trapped segment of my anxiety and I fear that I won't be able to get up if needed due to the tools, the microscope, the rubber dam etc....

I might think of a few more, but those are the big ones...

I had my rct in 2 visits, they took about 45 minutes to do each time. This goes much quicker than it sounds. It is very possible to get up and use the rest room.

The rubber dam is no problem it can be released from the frame in a second. There will be breaks in the procedure anyway, so don't worry it isn't as intense as you think. You may be surprised that once they start you may well just be bored enough to fall asleep. I know this is hard to believe but it has happened.

The rubber dam is only a small piece of rubber and thin, nothing to be worried about. You will be fine, I have had two rct's and was really paniced and scared I couldn't imagine how I was going to get through them, but I did and with the same dentist that did mine I would not be worried at all now.

I had so many sleepless nights and was so totally miserable for weeks before having mine done, that I couldn't believe how easy it was to get them, and the relief was wonderful after both physically and mentally.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover:

Thanks Carole - I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the information. I believe they are going to do the entire procedure in one visit. I know that they have scheduled 90 minutes for the appointment and the beginning will be xrays and diagnostics to make sure they are solving the problem. This is my first time seeing an endodontist as opposed to the dentist, so I'm not 100% certain of the routine, which only leads to more anxiety :redface:

I'm planning to take an ipod with a couple podcasts that I enjoy to help the time pass. As a mouth breather and a bit stuffy with allergies, I was really worried about feeling trapped behind the rubber dam, but I'm glad to know it can be removed rapidly and that there are some breaks in the routine.

Thanks again,

Zach

Hi Zach,

I had a root canal filling about 15 years ago and it was absolutely fine. Honestly, you will look back and wonder what you were so worried about. My problems started when I had a really nasty abscess at 16. I went to the emergency dentist (it was boxing day), got my anti-biotics and stupidly never went back for the treatment. I was basically living on borrowed time. A year later the infection came back with avengeance and I had no choice but to have the root canal. I thought (as people generally do with the unknown) it was going to be a huge trauma but it was nothing. I had 3 appointments in total that lasted around 30-40 minutes, although I was surprised at just how quick the time went. I felt no pain whatsoever during or after the procedure and I would have no concerns about having it done again. The tooth lasted 15 years after RCT and never had to be redone or re-treated. You probably can't see it now but you have nothing to worry about.

Back