• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

A Few small steps and a GIANT leap of faith

T

tigersangel

I have been waiting for what seems like FOREVER to be able to write in the "success" part of the forum.
I just got home from my first visit with the dentist after avoiding them for approximately 15 years and I made it through!:jump:

I didn't sleep well at all last night, suffered nightmares and general anxiety/panic at the thought of my appointment this afternoon. I got up this morning and was shaking so uncontrollably that I contemplated calling them up and cancelling. I knew I couldn't however. Not just because they required a $50 deposit be made for the first visit, to book the 90mins, that was not refundable if you didn't 2 business days before, but because I wouldn't have been able to live with the disappointment in myself. I'm sorry if this is a little long but I want to give a recount of what happened in hopes it might give someone else the courage to go.

To start I was lucky enough to have my mom go with me. I drove as I needed something to distract me on the way there, made it to the parking lot, sat there for a few and finally got the courage to walk in. The receptionist greeted me by my first name as soon as I walked in. I gave them my paperwork and insurance card and she said I could sit in the waiting room. As I was going to sit down I heard that terrifying familiar sound I remember from my childhood visits. The dreaded high pitch sound of a drill :(. I immediately said "I hate that noise" and started crying before I could stop myself. The receptionist told me they were working on a partial denture, not actually in anyone's mouth and that's why it sounded that way. She was kind enough to turn the radio up in the waiting room and also told me next time I come in I'm more than welcome to bring an ipod. She came back out a minute or two later and told me Nicole, my hygenist, would come out and get me as soon as they finished working on that partial so I didn't have to hear it while I was in the chair. A few more tense moments of waiting, crying off and on, she (Nicole) came out to get me. The walk back is now kind of a blur as I think I started to panic a little bit, but somehow I managed to get into the chair :o. We chatted for a few moments, I told her how embarrassed I was, she reassured me over and over again and told me everything they would be doing. First the x-rays. While not the most pleasant experience in the world in wasn't horrific. She even said I was a pro at it and a hygienist's dream when it came to doing xrays LOL. Next I did the panoramic x-ray which was weird, just stood at this machine biting down on this little plastic piece as the machine went around my head. I was there for maybe 2 mins. Piece of cake. Next came the oral cancers screening, which was pretty easy, and finally the exam with the mirror and probe. I backed up a little when she pulled these tools out but she assured me it wouldn't hurt, and it didn't. They even give you sunglasses so the light isn't right in your eyes. They didn't do that when I was a kid! I made it through all this and she told me my mouth wasn't the worst that she had ever seen, which was a HUGE relief. If you have embarrassment of your teeth associated with the dental phobia, you'll understand what I mean.

We talked a little bit more about what my biggest concerns are right now, which of course is my front teeth and wanting a clean healthy mouth. Then came the dreaded moment...... She went to talk to the dentist and he came in to meet me. I almost immediately started crying but he was so calm and reassuring. He asked if he could take a look, just with the mirror, and if I needed him to stop I just needed to put up my hand. No dentist has ever let me feel some control so this was new to me.The bottom line, because I haven't been to a dentist in such a long time there is a lot of buildup on my teeth which is making it hard for them to see everything that is going on, so what they want to do first is have me come in for a full mouth debribement(?) Nicole said it's like a cleaning on steroids. I'm guessing its a deep cleaning but I'm not sure. After that (at the same appointment) I will see Dr. Josh (my new dentist :rolleyes:) and he will take care of the fillings and such that I need done on my front teeth. He told me they would give me some Ativan to take the night before and 1 hour before my appointment and if im still anxious( which he doubts i will be at this point) they will also give me the laughing gas. I go in for all this on March 28th(with Nicole again :)) and after I heal up some I will go back in for another full checkup to see what else is going on. The only thing that is partially bothersome right now is that I do have an infection around my wisdom teeth, though I feel no pain. So onto antibiotics I go and have a referral to an oral surgeon so I can have them all removed under IV Sedation. Dr. Josh also let me know this particular oral surgeon deals with phobics all the time. I'm waiting until after my cleaning and such to take that next big step.

So there's my story. I made it through and lived to tell the tale. I know it's been said before but honestly if I can do it, anybody can do it. I was a complete mess! You really just need to take small steps, finding a sympathetic and caring dentist with a team who wants to support you, and then a giant leap of faith by making it to the first appointment.

Yay Tigersangel! :yay:

I'm so so SO pleased to read this! It sounds like you've found some good people there, and that you did absolutely brilliantly throughout the whole thing! :respect: Really happy for you! You definitely deserve that retail therapy now! ;D (Not to mention a good night's sleep tonight!)

Fantastic! :jump:

CONGRATULATIONS :jump: :jump: :jump:

WELCOME to the Winners' Circle!!!!!
Don't you feel as if a giant weight has been lifted from your soul????
And it's only going to get BETTER after that first appointment.
As you wait for your next appointment, go back and reread your posting here...it will help you keep calm by reminding yourself how well you did and how great your new dental team did at making you comfortable.
I am THRILLED FOR YOU!!!

mghstl: Thank you! I didn't really have any work done today, just an exam, but it feels like I got over a HUGE hurdle in my life. It does feel like a weight has been lifted. I have some work ahead of me but will definitely do as you suggested and reread my post to remind myself that I can get through it and I've got what appears to be a really supportive dental team.
Pianimo: Thanks! Some "retail therapy" is in order lol will just have to be on the conservative side so I can actually afford the dental work :) I think I am looking more forward to what is hopefully a restful night of sleep. Amazing how a phobia such as this can really effect everything in your life.
Carole: Thank You! :jump: <----One for you too because I know you like them so much lol
Feeling a little silly tonight. Maybe its the relief and exhaustion.:hic: I will continue here for the support and information and hopefully I will be able to help someone else.
Thanks again everyone for the support and responses!
BTW my name is Jessica :thumbsup:

So glad to read this.
Funny but I had not realised there was this success story bit before I saw you mention it in your thread in the support.;D
My story is similar to yours and embarassment was my main problem to start with.
That and my fear of the locals...I always had strange reations to the locals but I now have adrenalin free ones and it worked well so far.

Going to the dentist is not nice anyway,but for all of us in this forum it is a major life event !
So, pat yourself on the back and treat yourself to something nice after each appointment.
Hope all goes well for you,keep us up to date.

rp: Thanks for the info, i dont speak dentistese :giggle: And was a little panicky so didn't think of asking what it was. Weird how after i got home and relaxed for a few i started thinking of things i should have asked.:hmm: For instance, they mentioned my jaw pops and tmj. What the heck is that and how do i fix it?
mghstl: Thank you! I didn't really have any work done today, just an exam, but it feels like i got over a huge hurdle in my life. It does feel like a weight has been lifted. I have some work ahead of me but will definitely do as you suggested and reread my post to remind myself that i can get through it and i've got what appears to be a really supportive dental team.
pianimo: Thanks! Some "retail therapy" is in order lol will just have to be on the conservative side so i can actually afford the dental work :) I think i am looking more forward to what is hopefully a restful night of sleep. Amazing how a phobia such as this can really effect everything in your life.
carole: Thank you! :jump: <----one for you too because i know you like them so much lol
feeling a little silly tonight. Maybe its the relief and exhaustion.:hic: i will continue here for the support and information and hopefully i will be able to help someone else.
thanks again everyone for the support and responses!
btw my name is jessica :thumbsup:

live love laugh

Back