• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

A Hopeless Case of Periodontitis?

A

AntsonaHotPan

Due to years of neglect and dental phobia which resulted in not being able to go to the dentist for decades, I very likely developed very serious, very advanced periodontitis. My gums are badly recessed all the way down exposing large amounts of the roots of almost every tooth, and I don't have any interdental papillae left, leaving huge ugly gaps between the teeth.

Now to my horror, ALL of my teeth are loose. It's not a matter of 'feeling' loose, they actually are. They don't appear to move when I brush them or use interdental brushes around them, but I can definitely move each one of my teeth back and forth without force if I pinch them between 2 fingers, and the mobility, while slight, is definitely visible in the mirror.

It's hard to explain, but I don't even feel them as loose. I have never felt pain with them. I have been eating and biting normally with these teeth, and even brush them normally, so I don't think they are very loose or falling out just yet. In fact, I wouldn't even know they're loose if I hadn't been messing around them with my fingers, felt movement, and then tested them all for mobility.

I read on the internet about people with periodontitis and loose teeth, but their complaints seem limited to a single loose tooth or a few loose anterior/molars. My condition must be one of the worst ever, with EVERY single tooth loose. I'm scared to death, and losing my mind over this.

Even in very general, hypothetical terms, can you tell me if my situation is hopeless? I doubt loose teeth from bone loss will firm up again, but is it possible to stop further deterioration, stop my teeth from getting any looser with treatment and better home care, and continue on even with them loose, given that as of right now, they still feel functional?

Or would they just get looser and looser and eventually all fall out? Is there any point in going to a dentist for treatment then if they are going to be lost anyway? What if the dentist wants them all out because they are all loose, or there's too much bone loss, whatever? I doubt I can cope with going from having a full mouth of functional teeth, even if loose, to complete edentulous, just like that.

I know I need to somehow bring myself to see a dentist eventually, and no one can make any diagnosis over the internet without seeing me in person, but I have been so worried about my teeth, to the point of losing sleep, and any advice would give some comfort, hopefully.

Last edited:
Even in very general, hypothetical terms, can you tell me if my situation is hopeless? I doubt loose teeth from bone loss will firm up again, but is it possible to stop further deterioration, stop my teeth from getting any looser with treatment and better home care, and continue on even with them loose, given that as of right now, they still feel functional?
Not necessarily hopeless. If the teeth are only slightly mobile then with some treatment (and a lot of work from you) they could be maintained indefinitely.

HOWEVER the sooner you get started on sorting things out the better, sorry.