• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

A leap of faith

J

JennyA

I wrote about my fears on here almost a year ago. I was too ashamed to talk to my family and friends and admit my fear of dentists and pain that has kept me away for almost 15 years. I had a bad experience with a dentist and since then the thought of going to the dentist has paralyzed me. I thank this site for others who share their similar feelings as well and allowing me to talk about mine with no judgement.

I decided to make a leap of faith this year. I prayed and did some research for dentists in my area that have worked with fearful patients. One stuck out to me, so I decided to email them. I described my situation, my fear, and my shame. I let them know I understood if they were not able to work with my needs. They called back reassuring me that they would do anything to help ease my concerns and fear. We scheduled a consult to start to ease me in. I made it to the office today, filled out the paper work, made it to the dentist chair, then when the dentist came in, I started crying and shaking. :cry: couldn't control it but he was so kind to me and very patient. We talked, I let him know about my fear and that I it hadn't been for a visit in 15 years. He did not judge and said we could just talk if I wanted. After all the tears came out, I felt better. I got some x-rays done and he kindly went over them. Explaining everything and came up with a dental plan for me. He moved at my pace and always asked if I was ok. I finally began to feel more comfortable and trusted that they would stop if I felt pain. I am scheduled to return in a few hours for my first cleaning. They assured me they would numb all the areas that are sensitive to me and will make sure I was comfortable. I feel good that I went and am on my way to a healthier mouth. It wasn't easy but it wasn't as horrible as I thought. Thanks for listening. :grin:

I wrote about my fears on here almost a year ago. I was too ashamed to talk to my family and friends and admit my fear of dentists and pain that has kept me away for almost 15 years. I had a bad experience with a dentist and since then the thought of going to the dentist has paralyzed me. I thank this site for others who share their similar feelings as well and allowing me to talk about mine with no judgement.

I decided to make a leap of faith this year. I prayed and did some research for dentists in my area that have worked with fearful patients. One stuck out to me, so I decided to email them. I described my situation, my fear, and my shame. I let them know I understood if they were not able to work with my needs. They called back reassuring me that they would do anything to help ease my concerns and fear. We scheduled a consult to start to ease me in. I made it to the office today, filled out the paper work, made it to the dentist chair, then when the dentist came in, I started crying and shaking. :cry: couldn't control it but he was so kind to me and very patient. We talked, I let him know about my fear and that I it hadn't been for a visit in 15 years. He did not judge and said we could just talk if I wanted. After all the tears came out, I felt better. I got some x-rays done and he kindly went over them. Explaining everything and came up with a dental plan for me. He moved at my pace and always asked if I was ok. I finally began to feel more comfortable and trusted that they would stop if I felt pain. I am scheduled to return in a few hours for my first cleaning. They assured me they would numb all the areas that are sensitive to me and will make sure I was comfortable. I feel good that I went and am on my way to a healthier mouth. It wasn't easy but it wasn't as horrible as I thought. Thanks for listening. :grin:
:jump:

Well Done You!!

:welldone::welldone::dance2::dance2::cheer::cheer2::yayy::yay:

It takes real courage to face your fears and do that first visit, never mind start with treatment, mucho respect :respect:

Glad you are feeling more positive about your whole journey.

Please keep us posted as it encourages everyone here.

Kind Regards

Very well done.:you-rock:

Aww thanks for the support. It was an emotional day but I made it through to testify. I went back for the first cleaning. The paralyzing fear was gone but I was nervous and shaking at first in the chair. But no tears this time. The hygienist was so nice though, encouraged me, told me we could stop at any time, and explained everything she'd do beforehand. A few spots hurt, but she would stop, check in, and make sure I was comfortable before going on. The dentist even stopped by just to encourage me and check to make sure I was alright. I gripped the sides of my skirt so tightly that my arm hurts now, but it was not horrible and overall not painful. I can't say I enjoyed it but I am so happy now that I faced a 15 old fear. It was nothing like I expected. I have a follow up deep cleaning in a few weeks and they have me on a treatment plan to battle the tooth sensitivity I have from where my gums have receded and some gingivitis. I know it could be worse so I am grateful. For those who are so afraid, find a dentist that works with fearful patients. Email them with your story if you are like me and can't even call. Go first for a consult and see how that goes. If they care and are understanding, take that leap of faith. The feeling afterwards is so liberating.:grin:

Back