• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

A little frustrated with myself

S

sunflower32

I'm a little frustrated with myself and just feel like venting a little. Three months ago, I went back to the dentist after 18 years, and I'm so proud of myself for doing that. But after having had about 5 appointments, I'm still procrastinating setting up another one. It's not even a big deal. I just need a bite adjustment. But I can't seem to bring myself to pick up the phone to call!

Rationally, I know everything will be okay. I tend to be pretty much okay when I'm in the chair, and I've found a dentist that I like. It's just so much easier to NOT call, even though my off bite has been bothering me for weeks. The thought of picking up the phone to make an appointment makes my heart pound and my stomach clench. I feel like I'm being a bit ridiculous; it's not like I'm having a major procedure done. But that doesn't seem to matter in my mind. I think I'd probably stress the same amount for a bite adjustment as I would for a root canal (just a guess...I've never had one).

Anyway, I know I can't be the only one on this forum who does this. Hoping for some support...

Hi when something bothers us it does it big style. The procedure doesn't matter it is the actual making the appointment and getting there that is the biggest hurdle a lot of the time. We do more to ourselves than any dentist could do with the stressing and worry beforehand.

I know it is hard to pick up the phone and make that app, could you get someone to make the call for you, then all you need to do is make sure you get there. The adjustment won't take long and it will give you immediate relief and will be much better for your teeth as well. It doesn't do them any good when the bite is out and it can also effect your jaw if left for too long. I am sure your jaw is and will be fine but try to make it to get this corrected.

You do need to do this when you feel you can cope with it. All the best to you, let us know how you get on.

Just get it done because your helping yourself in the long run. I don't want to go either but now i have a reason to go, there is a cutie there

• ;D

Just try to find one that understands your starting over and trying to do a better job, I thought I wouldn't like my dentist but the second visit was better said I was improving brushing, You have to take baby steps, its like a 3step program, Admit that you have a problem, accept it and change it, Congrats yourself for going and laugh about it also helped me,

We are all human we all make mistakes

I know what you mean - I HAAAATE calling! these days, I am completely fine getting myself there, and in the chair, (and making appointments in person), but I get unreasonably anxious having to pick up the phone and call! I currently have a poking wire from my braces which is bothering me, and it will literally take 30 seconds for them to trim it, but I refused to call them! Ugh.

Like Carole said, maybe you can have someone else call for you? Or is there a way to email them?

Thank you all so much for your thoughtful replies! I'm really so happy I found this forum because I kind of feel like no one I know in my real life fully understands what dental anxiety is all about. It really is wonderful to know that there are so many people out there who "get it".

So, I just called and made an appointment! Yay! I was a little surprised when the receptionist asked if I wanted to come in today (I was prepping myself for an appointment that would be days away). My appointment is in a little under 6 hours. I'm a little nervous, but I know I'll be okay.

Carole and littlething, yes I had thought about getting someone to make the appt. for me, but I was never quite able to bring myself to do that either. I even had a co-worker say that she'd be ok making appointments for me (she said this maybe a couple of months ago, as I was going through several dentist visits). This co-worker is one of the few I've really talked to about my dental anxiety. I think it's sweet that she offered, but I also feel weird leaning on her too much due to this fear.

Honestly, I feel that what got me to make the appt just now is the validation that you all have given me. I kept trying to convince myself that this is such a minor thing that I don't even need to bother having it looked at. Reading other people's perspectives really helped me see that this is just something I need to do, I'll get it over with, and I'll be glad it's done.

Littlething, I hope you're able to make the appt to get your braces wire looked at soon!

I just got back from the dentist. I feel like I'm about to start crying. :cry: My off bite is too complex to fix with a simple bite adjustment. I was given a recommendation to go to a consultation with an orthodontist. This is going to be so expensive. I'm already getting a tooth implant in October, which costs an arm and a leg, since insurance only covers about a third of the cost. I have savings, but I really wasn't planning on using it all on my teeth.

I think I had gotten it through my head that it would be easy to fix. A couple of weeks ago, I posted a question on this forum asking how to fix an off bite. One of the site's dentists replied that it's easy as long as it's not too complex. So I thought it'd be easy. Guess not.

I first noticed my bite was off when I tried using a store-bought night guard, though I eventually stopped using it and got a custom-made one that's infinitely better. I'm really kicking myself for not going with the custom-made one from the get-go. The dentist did tell me that there are probably multiple factors that led to my off bite beyond the night guard, and my nighttime grinding in general is a big factor. I just can't help but think that the first night guard caused the whole problem, and I wore it for less than two weeks. :(

I was thinking I'd go to the orthodontist consultation as soon as I can schedule it, but I might hold off on doing anything until after the new year, once the whole implant process is completed. But on the other hand, I'm worried about continuing to have such an uncomfortable bite long-term, especially because of my nighttime grinding and clenching. My current night guard attaches to my top two front teeth and keeps my top and bottom teeth from touching. If I ever lost it (it's really small) I don't think I'd be able to sleep because my grinding/clenching would put way too much pressure on such an uncomfortable bite.

I'm sorry to rant on and on with my worries and fears. I think I just got thrown for a loop and I'm not quite sure how to deal with it right now.

Hi I am sorry that this is proving to be a bigger job than it usually is. Good on you for making the appointment though.

This is only my opinion but I think I would see the consultant sooner than later because the longer you leave it the more discomfort it is going to cause you.

I have just had to see a consultant myself because of my jaw being in pain all the time, the mouth guard doesn't do that any good. It does stop me damaging my teeth with the grinding and clenching, my guard goes over my bottom teeth so it is different to yours.

I saw the consultant and they suggested an injection into the jaw, this I am not keen on at all and I think I have decided not to have it done. But like a lot of others on here I sway one way then the other over this. I am terrified at the thought of it.

As you can see you are not on your own here and we all have some nerves about dental procedures. I am much better since finding a really good understanding dentist but still sometimes I get the colly wobbles !!!!!

I wish you all the luck and hope you get your problems sorted out soon. Stay with us and vent as much as you want, we all do at times.

Thank you again, Carole, for your kind response and thoughtful advice. I hope you are able to get your jaw pain fixed, whether you decide to go with the injection or a different route. While I don't wish these sorts of issues on anyone, it is nice to know I'm not alone. :)

I'm a little calmer than I was yesterday, but still a bit stunned that I need orthodontics to fix this. I'm trying to not cry over spilled milk, kicking myself for what I could've done to avoid this situation. I know that what's done is done, but I still find myself wishing I had done things differently, by not getting that first night guard, or by not waiting 18 years to see a dentist so my grinding could've been sorted out earlier.

At least I can get it sorted out now. I've decided to take care of this right away. I'm going to set up an appointment with the orthodontist as soon as the office opens tomorrow. I've already emailed them an appointment request. I just can't live with my bite being like this long-term. It's way too uncomfortable and I know it could get worse if I don't get it fixed. I'm trying to not let myself get carried away in a sea of "what-ifs" and thinking about all the ways it can get worse, but that's really hard. I try to tell myself that this isn't such a horrible thing to have to go through, that other people have gone through far worse, but in my mind, it really is hard to go through this on top of already having an anxiety disorder and dental anxiety.

Maybe I'll just keep telling myself, "one step at a time....breathe..."

Hi, sorry to hear that it wasn't as easy an fix as you expected. Try not to beat yourself too much about what you could have done in the past. Think about how much more comfortable your bite will be in the future!

The advice I was given was that ideally, the orthodontics would be done before an implant put in, so that they can create proper space/alignment/bite for the implant. Once the implant is in, it can't be moved, so the orthodontics would have to be done around it. However, a good orthodontist should also consult with your dentist/oral surgeon to coordinate an ideal end result, so they should be able to plan around it if you decide to wait.

In terms of cost, it is expensive, but most orthodontic offices do offer payment plans so you can also opt to spread out the cost over time.

Try not to get overwhelmed - one step at a time! :) good luck!!

(As for me, I decided I'll finally call tomorrow since I'm about to run out of rubber bands soon anyway, and if I have to call and go in, might as well have then deal with the wire too. I just always have this irrational fear that they're going to find me annoying, or that I'm going to sound stupid on the phone. Ugh.)

Thanks for the advice, littlething. :) I am *trying* to not get overwhelmed...

I'm definitely planning on discussing with the orthodontist how the implant might affect the orthodontics, and vice versa. I'm hoping though, that the implant doesn't have to be delayed too much. I'm having it done in October because getting the implant post put in will max out my insurance for the year, but if I don't need the crown until after the new year (it's a 3 month healing process), then my insurance will renew and $800 of the crown's cost can go on my insurance. My dentist's receptionist gave me the idea of doing it this way. I guess I'll just have to see what the orthodontist says. Plus both the orthodontist and the oral surgeon for the implant were referrals from my dentist, so I think they all know each other, which would help facilitate good communication amongst the three. My dentist even mentioned that he used to work in the same office as the orthodontist but he became so popular that he just decided to open up his own office.

That's great that you're going in to get your braces wire looked at! Everything you said about why you don't want to do it is exactly how I think as well. Before I made yesterday's appointment, I kept thinking that I didn't want to "bother" the dentist with such a minor issue (how ironic that the issue was big enough to warrant an orthodontist referral!). I also think I'm going to sound stupid on the phone. It's like I'm trying so hard to come off as "normal" on this frightening phone call that I end up trying too hard and sounding dumb or weird...

Well, I set up the orthodontist consultation appointment. It's not until July 1st, though I've requested to be put on the list of those they'll call if they get a cancellation.

I think that the thought that I could be called at any time with an earlier appointment sent my brain into freak-out mode. I was in a meeting at work this morning (this was right after I set up the appointment) when I started to have a mini anxiety attack. Now, I'm not one who has ever had panic attacks, though I do have a generalized anxiety disorder. My pulse rate shot up, I got a weird numbing sensation in my arms and legs, and I felt like I was going to burst into tears. I kept leaving the meeting to go into the bathroom to cry, then I'd start to feel better, I'd go back to the meeting, and the process would start all over again. It was quite a disturbing experience.

I don't even feel all that nervous about going to the consultation (well...maybe a tiny bit ;)). I so badly want to get this off bite fixed that I didn't even have an issue setting up the appointment, and that's normally one of my main issues. I think my problem is that my brain hasn't fully normalized this situation. I still haven't quite come to grips with the fact that I need orthodontics to fix this problem, but I do think I'm getting there. One step at a time...

Back