• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

A new and continued journey , challenges and blessings along the way.

@tazey, sorry haven't got back here.. did I miss your bday? any news on yours ? hoping you can get in soon!!

Still pondering on when to do my next surgery on the bottom ridge putting implants. getting a little nervous as the ridge is quite thin wondering how that will be and the "what ifs" I do trust my dentist is competent and really I love the guy, he's really positive and kind but I"m the one who sees inside my mouth everyday and feels that thin ridge. I've had my partial for 20 years. 20 years of bone loss sometimes I question why I even thought this is even possible.. but I've had 3 dentists told me it is after seeing CT scans so thats a pretty good indication it should be ok.. I've come this far now.. I just have to mentally prep myself a bit more. not quite ready to hit the chair and think about the aftercare and thoughts of stiches in this area again.. This is the roughest area I had worked on in years well ever... so I'm not exactly jumping for joy to hit the area again though I know it will be worth it in the end.. most likely anyways..

Well sorting this all out in my head.. and feelings.. /emotions has to come to a good balance. hopefully September..

ON another hand my dentist doesn't have a hygienist because he is emergency so I have had an appt scheduled for cleaning at a place near me that a friend works at. so I'm going to meet a new hygienist and at least do that part of things for August :).. looking forward to it because they seem to be a lovely , anxious friendly practice. so in 10 days I'll be in the hygienist chair :)
Nope it's this week (apparently),no news for me had to cancel the hospital appointment+they've no clue when another will happen. ? Saw my doctor last wk but he can't help with my eating as it's dental related so basically I'm screwed,hopefully if the fatigue/exhaustion stop then I may get to the private place but still no transport. Yeah sometimes people can't understand unless they are going/gone through it,it's like when my consultant says i can eat anything I like Mmm yeah they are metal posts in my mouth not teeth. ? That's great news about the hygienist hopefully will go fine. ?

I really can't wait until you get this all taken care of @tazey !! you deserve to be able to eat finally and get those in.. really hope and pray sooner rather than later.

For me .. today I had an amazing experience.. actually it seems funny calling a dental visit and "amazing experience" well I've had several but today was one for sure

I went to see a new hygenist since my office doesn't have one I went to an office near me that has an amazing reputation for being anxious friendly. Looking at their website and FB page they all looked friendly and non theatening so thought it was worth a shot.

Well. super impressed at their Covid precautions and the social distancing efforts and just keeping things tight with all that.. felt super safe the entire time..The Hygienist.. I couldn't have asked for better. she was kind ,gentle, didn't shame me once, very through , she was very warm when I talked about anxiety and also about me having a gag reflex she said there are some things we can try to help ( never heard of salt? but that was one of them, we didn't have to since I sailed through them mostly) she spent so much time talking and xrays and such and seeing the dentist we didn't ever get to the cleaning and she didn't want to rush it so we rescheduled that for a few weeks here down the road.

I spoke with the dentist ,he did an exam and was very nice and gentle and he even made mention of our conversations via fb and phone that I talked of my anxiety, I can see him being very good to go to for any anxious patient I would certainly go to him no question . The whole office was lovely, kind and warm hearted. what a great hygenine experience even without the cleaning :)

Wow, sounds like the perfect place - really glad you found such a lovely office ?!! I'm sure the cleaning will go really well!

I am so happy that you found such a lovely office for your cleanings! Good hygienists can be hard to find but you definitely find a keeper! ?

Well, back from being Missing in action a bit the last month, practicalities kept me a bit , with the whole Covid, getting ready for distance ed (which we do not like ) and work, etc.

Just talked to my dentist on Friday and had a lovely conversation about finishing up my work soon! I was a bit nervous with Covid before, then everything seemed to hit and no time for dental and some anxiety about finishing work .. But everytime I talk to my dentist I am reassured.

One thing I completely appreciate about him is he's just a super positive guy!! Like , yes, lets do it, we can do it, I can help you, I can make it work for you.. his help , and positivity and adaptability to a patients different needs both treatment and anxiety, is just to me priceless. So going in soon to get my abutments and scans for the implants to seat them relatively soon after!

Well.. yesterday went in to get my implants uncovered.. and prepared for the implant crowns.

I was a little more nervous as my regular assistant moved to a new practice so I got a brand new assistant.. I very quickly liked her.. she was very empathetic and kind and valued really good patient care.. she had been working in the dental lab for 13 years and wanted to work with patients so she is familiar with that side of things too. I told both my dentist and her I would love to have her on my team for any appts from now on and they both agreed to it :).

It was a bit of a nerve wracking appt for me because one of my personal phobias is dealing with small parts in and out of my mouth and fearing they will drop them .. and I'll choke.. well.. he did well with it.. they didn't drop anything.. The shots were not quite as painfree this time, but didn't last long.. so was worth it. all in all My dentist was extremely gentle and patient and kind through the process. I know he really cares and that helps.

After 3 hours in the chair I finished and was glad to have all parts attached firmly.. :).. and next step being getting the implant crowns attached soon! The end is in sight for that part of things!!

Update..

Well.. I have really missed being a part of this forum.. life has taken some stranges turns and twists but its always in my heart and mind to check in here, though,, unfortunately nothing much has happend dentally since the last post.

I moved a few hours from my previous dentist and it isn't an option to continue treatment there so, found a new dentist, who is lovely.. and who I spoke with via FB and on the phone before going for an appointment and at the appt he was great, very anxious friendly.

I had a financial arrangement with my previous dentist and it just isn't the same with the new so, I'm in limbo until I can come up with the money for the new to put the crowns in my past dentist did.. I will say in quite the hurry which I'm nervous to put in due to this.

anyways. :) I try to remember all I've over come and all the great stories of triumph over dental fear and good outcomes here .

One thing that is a bit nerve wracking is having these little implant nubs in my gums waiting for the final implant crowns. its been 8 months for 6 of them and over a year for one. I’m hoping they stay nice and tight in there for a bit. @Gordon @drhirst @Niall Neeson Any idea how long these implant stubs can last ?

Anyways, glad to have a great new dentist :) and glad to read all the continuing stores of triumph over dental fear and anxiety on here since I've been on a little leave.. I love this community.. it really is a great place..

Update..

Well.. I have really missed being a part of this forum.. life has taken some stranges turns and twists but its always in my heart and mind to check in here, though,, unfortunately nothing much has happend dentally since the last post.

I moved a few hours from my previous dentist and it isn't an option to continue treatment there so, found a new dentist, who is lovely.. and who I spoke with via FB and on the phone before going for an appointment and at the appt he was great, very anxious friendly.

I had a financial arrangement with my previous dentist and it just isn't the same with the new so, I'm in limbo until I can come up with the money for the new to put the crowns in my past dentist did.. I will say in quite the hurry which I'm nervous to put in due to this.

anyways. :) I try to remember all I've over come and all the great stories of triumph over dental fear and good outcomes here .

One thing that is a bit nerve wracking is having these little implant nubs in my gums waiting for the final implant crowns. its been 8 months for 6 of them and over a year for one. I’m hoping they stay nice and tight in there for a bit. @Gordon @drhirst @Niall Neeson Any idea how long these implant stubs can last ?

Anyways, glad to have a great new dentist :) and glad to read all the continuing stores of triumph over dental fear and anxiety on here since I've been on a little leave.. I love this community.. it really is a great place..
Hey good to see you back,I'm guessing your like me then with the metal posts visable? as you know mine have now been in 2yrs no dentist would probably advise that but it is what it is (not like it was my choice). I've also moved places the appointments were supposed to start before xmas but only got to my first one in may,next one in a few wks which I'm not looking forward too. ?

Hi Tazey..

Good to hear from you, so where are you in your journey? what will you have done in a few weeks? so you have had those post in for 2 years? yes, it is the small metal nub posts.. as long as they don't fall out I'm fine, but it is nerve wracking having them in , not knowing how tightly they are in there. Glad to knows yours have hung in. thats a good sign. I really hope they can get your work going and you can have it complete soon! All you've been through, you have to be one of the strongest people! I"m going to keep a look out for updates. :grouphug:

Hi Tazey..

Good to hear from you, so where are you in your journey? what will you have done in a few weeks? so you have had those post in for 2 years? yes, it is the small metal nub posts.. as long as they don't fall out I'm fine, but it is nerve wracking having them in , not knowing how tightly they are in there. Glad to knows yours have hung in. thats a good sign. I really hope they can get your work going and you can have it complete soon! All you've been through, you have to be one of the strongest people! I"m going to keep a look out for updates. :grouphug:
Well the first appointment was just some 3d images (probably the only one in the last 8yrs that's been bearable) next one the whole drama of impressions+taking the caps off+I'm sure some other things kind of done all that several times at the old place+it wasn't fun. Yes was 2yrs in may,have you not had anything to cover them? Id say their pretty tight. After the next one there's 4 more in place (1 right on my birthday ?) so potentially have an end date in late august but obviously still find that hard to believe,stress levels have been/still are very high at the mo my health is far from great so certainly don't feel strong but nice of you to say. x

Update..

Hi there krlovesherkids777,

Sounds like you’re doing great.

I’m not an implantologist but I would assume that provided your dentist is happy with how the implants are looking then that would mean they are fully stable (or “integrated”) at this stage. This means they are almost certainly absolutely finethey are.

My advice would be to treat them as your own teeth in relation to brushing/ cleaning and hygiene visits to give them the best chance of keeping them healthy (that applies for both before and after the crowns are placed on them).

Just to re-assure you, I saw a guy on Thursday who had an implant placed 10 years ago and he just never chose to have the crown on it. It still looks perfect, that it would be fit to take a crown tomorrow if he wanted it.

The practicalities and costs involved with dentistry mean we don’t always get to do things in the order or time frame that we’d like to so everyone’s journey is different. You’ll get there. Everything is going to be ok ?

All the best,

Niall

Hi there krlovesherkids777,

Sounds like you’re doing great.

I’m not an implantologist but I would assume that provided your dentist is happy with how the implants are looking then that would mean they are fully stable (or “integrated”) at this stage. This means they are almost certainly absolutely finethey are.

My advice would be to treat them as your own teeth in relation to brushing/ cleaning and hygiene visits to give them the best chance of keeping them healthy (that applies for both before and after the crowns are placed on them).

Just to re-assure you, I saw a guy on Thursday who had an implant placed 10 years ago and he just never chose to have the crown on it. It still looks perfect, that it would be fit to take a crown tomorrow if he wanted it.

The practicalities and costs involved with dentistry mean we don’t always get to do things in the order or time frame that we’d like to so everyone’s journey is different. You’ll get there. Everything is going to be ok ?

All the best,

Niall

Wow Niall .

This is great news!! very encouraging. thank you! I"m trying to keep up cleaning the area well for sure. great to hear your patient waited 10 years and still was like it was ready for the crowns tomorrow.. just encouraging! Hopefully mine won't be too long. but yes sometimes things come up and timing exactly doesn't work in our favor.

Thank you so much and hope all is well!

Hello just thought I'd update my journal since life has been a bit busy and I haven't exactly kept up my dental momentum.. I've had a few appts with minor concerns and a cleanining in the last 6 months or so. and have come to really appreciate my new dentist as being very kind and anxious friendly so though I haven't continued my work ( due to finances) I've had some great experiences which can help me put myself at ease for when I do.

I just got back from an appt with my new dentist as it seemed to me I had some sort of crack and sensitivity so made an appt to see him and also figure out if I should get a crown on one tooth his partner looked at as he was out when I got my cleaning exam. and he agreed I should and also he will work with me financially to get my implant crowns in ( already have the implants in, but moved and needed to wait on placing the crowns due to finances.) .

Really feeling good about my choice of dentists and the assistants were all very kind as well! I'm hoping he is good with injections .. if he is than he is gold :). well still is but it would definately be a plus.

He said my crown can be cerec, which I've never had but I'm slightly excited at the possibility of no temp crown :).. and no impressions.

I hope everyone is doing well in their journeys. I'm glad to be back. and have missed you all, its been a little hectic in life the last 6 months. but think about DFC all the time. This is a lifeline!

Back