• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

A new and continued journey , challenges and blessings along the way.

The more time between appointments the more time I have to think.. Do I really want to do all this? Yes, I really do.. I want to face the fears because I know with my last implant , it is totally worth it, even though its quite a process.. Feeling this tooth gone is a weird feeling at times I want it back..

Just consider how that tooth was full of decay and disease and making you sick. You are so much healthier with that tooth gone and pretty soon there will be a shiny new implant in it’s place. Yes time is necessary for physical healing but not great for the mind’s well-being. May I ask what motivated you to move forward with the first implant? It seems to me doing something a second time would be easier as you already know what to expect ...unless it was an awful first experience in which case I would run screaming from it!

Kitkat. so interesting story with the last implant. I got it put in , in an emergency situation from lets say Dr A.. had been going to him for a few years, things were going downhill there in care, he was really "implant happy" .. I was actually afraid to go and figured he would try to talk me into this but I didn't know anywhere else so I was absessed infected and in pain and went. I got in there and he said #4 needs to be pulled we can't save it, but we can do an imlant on 5 , we need to do it RIghT NOW, GO TO THE OTHER ROOM NOW.. we can work with you financially, just do it you need to.. didn't explain anything.. I was just in freeze trauma mode and went along with it. as long as I was losing the other I'd go along. so I did.. It was a disaster of an appt .. and worst extraction ever.. after that is when my googling and you tubing habit started which wasn't good.. well, I was healing along , and less than two months later I had another crown come off.. :(..

I KNEW ... I could not go back to Dr A.. I just didn't feel safe.. so I went to the clinic they split from because I knew some of the gals there that were great kind assistants so took my chances and ended up with dentist B.. the one I talk about mostly on here in my journey. He very patiently, gently, kindly and with a bit of humor took me through each step of the implant and I gained alot of trust in him and learned the implant process wasn't nearly as scary as it seemed in my mind or the you tube videos :). I finished that and got an amazing implant crown I love and am so thankful for.. as well as continuing on with him as a dentist.

Well fast forward.. he is now on a different part of his journey so I can not longer see him and he passed me on to his friend dentist C.. who I'm doing this implant with. SO... I trust him enough to actually let him pull the tooth and start the process. and I think he'll be okay to do this process with.. I just don't know him as much as dentist B.. but this is a great opportunity to earn some trust for sure! :)..

And yes you are so right about getting that decay and infection and those calcified roots out of my body!! That is definately a good thing.. just have to think about the positives and remember how it was alot easier than I thought last time. :) I imagine how it will feel to have a good solid implant tooth there to chew with .. and dentist C looked at my partial and said one day you can hopefully get some more implants and say goodbye to that.. which I would love at some point.. :). one step at a time. This is also different because its a bottom implant the other was an upper.

Wow...I’m so sorry that you went through that with Dentist A. What a stressful and traumatic situation to feel pressured into an implant. Dentist B sounds lovely and it’s fortunate that the implant worked out in the end. You will be an expert on implants after this one and will be able to help put so many other people at ease on a similar journey. Dentist C sounds like a good guy even though you haven’t had a lot of time with him yet. I think us phobics become very intuitive about dentists and can tell early on if things are going to work out.

Right on all accouns Kitkat! With dentist C so many factors are a yes. My old dentist who I completely loved and respected said he did "wonderful dentistry and was fully confident in him".. and my first time getting treatment be it a recement of a temp he proved he was concerned with my comfort level so I was impressed there. and then after he cemented my permenant crown in asked me to come in for full exam and the office manager as well told me that it was important to my old dentist for them to take good care of me.. I had 3 appts scheduled to compare.. he was the first.. I cancelled the other two after I saw him, there was no reason to go after meeting with Dr C and getting to know him even more. Very nice and competant guy! :)

That’s funny that you had back up options ready to go in case this guy didn’t work out. How you describe this guy is very much how I felt about my Endo. I only saw him for a couple of visits so not a lot of time to build up a relationship of trust but right away, I felt very calm and confident with him. It sounds like Dentist B helped pave the way for Dentist C. A big make it or break it factor with my dentist was showing that she was concerned with my physical comfort as well as my emotional/mental comfort. I think a lot of dentists pay less attention to the latter.

I don‘t even know what to write, you are being so brave, dealing with an extraction and an implant and this all after a failed root canal treatment, wow. Hope you can process the loss of the tooth soon and also recover enoug to eat comfortably again. What is a french silk pie, by the way?

I totally understand fear makes one find bravery atm. Similar story, infection so bad so much pain it over ran my fear of pulling the tooth. Afterwards I questioned my dentist (who I didn’t care for to begin with but prior had no issues other than cleanings) I started google afterwards (bad mistake) but starting looking for a dentist I can trust and feel comfortable with. I want a dentist that tries to save teeth not wait then pull. But it’s true the infection was bad , seems like for both of us, so we are better off I guess. I’ll always wonder in my case but it’s gone now (no matter how badly I want my old tooth back) can’t go backwards though and change the past. We both need to focus on the future. Do our homework, find our voices, and do what needs doing for us. I have my first appointment March 19 with a reputable Endodontist for bone grafting and implants. I’m “interviewing” him lol seee what he has to offer me. I have pretty good first impression instincts so we will see.( I should have listened to those instincts this my current dentist but again was only cleaning and once the infection hit I froze. ) I am sorry your going through this too. It does suck without a doubt. I never thought I’d be here at this stage in my life. Stress I know played a part in it all (other health issue that sent my anxiety spiraling and then came the clenching which I’m sure made things worse for that poor molar) But you’ve done one implant and came through like a trooper ? you can do this! Hugs!

Last edited:
." I’m “interviewing” him lol seee what he has to offer me. I have pretty good first impression instincts so we will see.( I should have listened to those instincts this my current dentist but again was only cleaning and once the infection hit I froze. ) "

Scared all the time.. Love this!! see interview and really choose whats best for you!! and listening to your instincts.. I hope your journey with this goes amazing too and you find someone that you can trust and connect with!!

Update: Today I went for my extraction post op. I just love this office and my new dentist. I feel very comfortable here from the gals in the office to the assistant Aimee to my Dentist! I feel more blessed each time I go there.. I saw that my extraction site is healing very well. He said the best would still be to do a bone graft first so I will go ahead and do that and feel a new level of trust even though I'm a little scared of a drill going into my jaw. So made an appt to go ahead with that.

Also I brought my 10 yr old son in to have him get to know our new dentist and office better. Everyone was so kind and good with him. and the dentist really seemed to understand my concerns to keep him comfortable and in a place he doesnt have to have the local or the nitrious with a new water laser they have. He really was great with my son and we made an appt for the fillings. I even discussed my past of them putting nitrious but still being in pain and concerned about this . He totally got it.

So everyone was so kind and I am seeing more and more they understand dental anxiety and want their patients to be utmost comfortable. Every positive experience just builds on to the next..

March 20 update. Well 2 more days and I will bring my son in for his first ever filling. I'm part nervous but I guess not as much as I could be. When I think of my past and my daughters past experience it would cause me to panic a bit and get quite anxious. however we are in a different place and the dentist we are going to has been very kind to me and to him. He seems quite good and patient and good with kids. The whole office has really went out of their way to make him feel comfortable. He is trying a new waterlaser on my son and I've reserched it seems that this is a very painfree way for children to get fillings done so I'll be curious how it all goes. We are getting ready to do this. I'm actually probably more nervous to have my son have work that have it myself.

Also getting ready for my bonegraft on April 2nd so just around the corner .. I guess I'll eat as much as I can until then as I'll be eating soft foods and on one side for a while after from what I understand. . well just wanted to update and process. I'm still glad I do have a great dentist and team.

Wow it sounds like you have a lot going on! That is great that you are taking such care with your son to ensure he has a good experience. Speaking from personal experience, having a good dentist in childhood makes such a huge difference on receiving future dental care as an adult. If I had not found my dentist at 15, who knows what kind of shape I would be in right now. It’s just a shame that it took that long to find a decent one. I will keep my fingers crossed that all goes smoothly for both you and your son. I am very curious about the laser treatment as well. I have watched videos and it seems well tolerated by both adults and kids. I do not know of anyone in my area that is using it currently but I have a very difficult time wrapping my head around the idea of fillings without local anesthesia. Dental injections have never really bothered me-even as a kid (in fact being numb gives me peace of mind) so that point would not sway me but I have heard that it removes less tooth structure and I can see the benefit of that.

Update : So.. I took my son to his filling appointment and am so completely relieved and at happy at the outcome on every aspect. With my history in childhood. I can't help but remember my own childhood experiences which were not good.. I really had to focus and remember this is not then. This is with a dentist I trust and has been good to me and nice to him previously.. and has really given me so many visits of competant kind treatment. and the type of fillings I knew he was having was different with the new waterlaser thing.. so I really tried to refocus and remember all the positives and be as supportive for my son as possible. Our dentist and assistant could not have been nicer to him. They were completely kind, gentle with no pressure, no rush and no pushing anything he didn't want to do.. (xrays and biteblock). they did have some previous xrays but were going to do more but they stopped at his no and that gained alot of trust. The waterlaser was completely painfree . He said he didn't feel a thing and it sounded like a video game in his mouth.. :). He had a great experience and so did I and gained a ton of trust in our dentist ! Just super impressed at this experience.

Well.... tomorrow is B day.. Bonegraft day.. This is something I have never had, I've had all types of dental work, but not bonegrafts.. Thankfully its only on one tooth.. This time I am more curious than nervous though a bit nervous of the unknown and mostly the after affects and how eating will be.. Of course like a good anxious patient I forgot to ask many question when scheduling this. But they are very thorough before and after procedures the day of so I'm not TOO worried.. I am getting to trust this dentist more and more so I feel he is completely capable and also that he will listen to me and he and the assistant they will make sure I am comfortable the whole time.. Still I think.. unknown .. and new experiences are a bit more nerve wracking.. Iam trying to look at the goal... a new implant tooth that is much stronger than my previous..I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow..

You'll do great. Let us know how it goes!

I just got home a bit ago. and I have some GREAT news!! I not only got my bonegraft but the implant as well!! When he looked he decided it would be a great option for healing to do them both at the same time together said everything looked good So... I was a little nervous. but I went for it... because I trust him.. and he really once again proved that trust true.. I did not feel any pain in the procedure at all. it was MUCH better than my first implant procedure that was rushed . This time he took his time, I know he was careful about everything. and him and the assistant were just very good checking in to make sure I was ok. It went so smooth.. and now the anesthetic is wearing off so I expect to be in a bit of pain as he gave me the powerful painkillers . I absolutely love this whole office!! and every time I trust a little more.. some real positive momentum.. I have a follow up in one week. :)

That's such great news - congratulations :cheer::cheer2::cheer:!! Wishing you a very speedy recovery :grouphug:!!

Thank you all... I took a little nap and hardly believe I have my implant in .. to clarify ..

"it was MUCH better than my first implant procedure that was rushed . This time he took his time "
Was a whole different dentist that did my first implant procedure 2 years ago, it made a huge difference my current dentist was very non rushed and took his time and really made sure I was well along the way.

So pleased to hear that. Congrats!! ?

Back