• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

A new and continued journey , challenges and blessings along the way.

I hope yours also went well :)

Thank you all... I took a little nap and hardly believe I have my implant in .. to clarify ..

"it was MUCH better than my first implant procedure that was rushed . This time he took his time "
Was a whole different dentist that did my first implant procedure 2 years ago, it made a huge difference my current dentist was very non rushed and took his time and really made sure I was well along the way.

Congrats! That is amazing news!!! You must be so relieved! I am so glad that everything has worked out for the very best with this new dentist! Yes, the dentist’s approach can make such a big difference in my opinion. I have had appointments (even with my current lovely dentist) where things have felt more rushed or I could sense her stress from a challenging day and it does make it very hard for me to relax. Also, I feel less inclined to stop her in those instances because I do not want to be a bother. She is always kind to me regardless but I just don’t like to put anybody else out. It doesn’t happen often (moreso if I have a later appointment). I try to get an early-ish appointment as we both seem to be at our best at that time.

Thank you all so much for your support . I love DFC and the community here . and really it seems you tell friends or family about your dental stuff and they lose interest rather fast so DFC has really been blessing last 2 years :hug4::you-rock::XXLhug::bear::hug4:. It makes a huge difference to be able to share stories and encourage one another .

Well done and congrats! So glad it all went well, sounds like you have a great dentist who really takes care of you! and loving your dental practice.. what an achievement! :welldone:

Thank you Enarete :) :) ... yes.. so love my new dentist and the whole team.. !

Today. for journal sake, the pain is not too bad. I've only taken on stronger pain med and that was last night to sleep well. It feels like heavy and tight.. but not sharp or unbearable at all. A friend who had bone graft done mentioned to stay away from my stitches with my tongue. which is proving challenging :). and also not to open my cheek too much as it might loosen things.. things she learned in her process.. so.. I think I am very conscience of these right now. and trying to stay away so the area can heal .

Glad to be done with all this in one shot .. and now just waiting to heal. :)

2nd day after implant and graft with Membrane.. Really there is hardly pain.. just kind of a heavy tight feeling on that side.. I'm babying this side of course and only eating soup and ice cream basically,. My main worries and its just more the "what if's" is if my stiches come out too early.
My dentist office called to see how I was doing, and I told them I was very well. so I will see how things go. should get better each day, maybe tomorrow I will eat some mashed potatoes or other soft food... :)..

Thank you Dg:) and all of you for all the support and encouragement. Its still a bit surreal I got this all done.

So went for my week follow up this week and got restiched. A few stiches fell out so I was happy to get some more security in the area. It feel like he may have used a stronger stich material and really tied it good so it did feel quite tight and hurt for abit last night. I got through with some pain meds and better again today. I guess it is all a healing journey.

Hmm...the only stitches that I have ever had have been with my wisdom teeth and I was sedated for that...not sure how I’d handle stitches in my mouth awake and aware :unsure: you make it sound so easy! :p

:). hehe on the easy.. the actual putting them in was easy as he had me good and numb I didn't feel a thing but I was bracing for it.. pleasantly surprised no discomfort there. It was when the local wore off it was honestly quite painful I think my gums were saying . what happened here??? :scared::scared::frantic:. It feels tight but better today.

:). hehe on the easy.. the actual putting them in was easy as he had me good and numb I didn't feel a thing but I was bracing for it.. pleasantly surprised no discomfort there.

I used to brace for pain in the chair a lot and my dentist would keep stopping to check in because of the pained look on my face and I had to reassure her that if she was hurting me, I would indeed stop her but otherwise, she could ignore me and carry on otherwise every few minutes it was Pause-“are you feeling that?” Pause- “I’m not hurting you, am I?” Pause-“are you sure you wouldn’t like a break?” Pause- “you’re good and numb? you can’t feel anything that I’m doing right?” Pause-“remember you can stop me at anytime if there’s discomfort” It was taking forever to get through treatment at that rate! Lol

My dentist and assistant are good at checking in too , they are both reassuring and my dentist will say like , you're ok.. everything is good.. and my sweet assistant will reassure and say you are doing so good.. its like rationally I know I"m in good hands, safe and he's got a 100 percent tract record on not hurting me during treatment but my body sees that needle coming and says brace , hard , now.. then I realize I m getting through it. i'm good. I kind of gradually get less guarded as time goes on in treatment.

Yes, I too am most tense at the beginning of a treatment and I get better as time goes on. I have a hard time trusting that I am truly numb so once we reach a point where I know that I am 100% numb, I can usually fully relax and just let the dentist do whatever she wants. I used to want commentary on everything happening at all times from start to finish, now once I know I’m numb I can listen to my music on my headphones and I’d rather tune everything else out around me.

I love "me too " moments.. yes,, Kitkat.. love you are the same and totally get this.. Its funny because at first it was different for me because my last dentist was really funny, telling jokes and providing commentary throughout various trivia and keeping my mind busy to not think abuot things which I so loved and appreciated.. My new dentist is alot more quiet and focused during treatment. I kind of learned to silently self talk myself through it though they do check on me and I get opportunity to ask questions before and after and any stop signals are respected. so I feel entirely safe and good here. so its interesting how that has also progressed.

What a brilliant image for anyone who is suffering from Dental Anxiety, Unless you make that first step then nothing can change, you can't be free from pain, be free from living with guilt and shame, and have a nice-looking smile

View attachment 1839

Positive momentum.....

So today part of my stiches on top came nearly undone, it had been loose for a few days and I wasn't sure what to take of it , if it should come out or not.I also thought.. If I go it will be annoying to them and I will be a bother, but I emailed them and got in to take a look at it.

Today reminded me of the blessing of a kind good dentist, that even if I revert to my nervousness or feeling like a bother I can really know that I have a solidly good dentist that always treats me right. I feel like a person and not a number. He always wants to make sure everything is good, painfree , and also asks about my son who also goes there.

Every visit has been positive even if its hard news or a more complex procedure, he always has a smile and genuine concern as do the rest of the office .

Just counting my blessing I guess you could say.. We all may revert to anxiety at times or different appointments or procedures we aren't as familiar with but having a great dentist really does make a huge difference in dental anxiety levels..

What a brilliant image for anyone who is suffering from Dental Anxiety, Unless you make that first step then nothing can change, you can't be free from pain, be free from living with guilt and shame, and have a nice-looking smile

View attachment 1839

Jenny4pin.. I meant to say welcome to DFC a bit ago. I notice you were new and a dentist. we are glad to have you on! You are so right.. it takes making that first step.. and its so worth it.. !

Well... Yesterday I went back and got the rest of my stiches off ,felt like maybe 3 were in there. First off, I was once again thankful , I go to an emergency place and they are open on Friday nights after work.. not having to take off work is amazing! And they got me into the chair so quick and in a few minutes I had all my questions answered and stiches out. I was a little scared it would hurt.. as I hadn't really had stiches out in sometime other than the ones that were out the week before but those were already 90% out. They gave me some topical and three short snips and pulls and no pain whatsover, not even really a pokey feeling. I love that my dentist and assistant make sure I do not feel any pain. They answered all my questions about next steps and he adjusted my partial denture which laid on the area of the bone graft, so it wouldn't bother it. and said he could add a tooth if I'd like to my denture to give me more teeth in my smile until I get the implant.

You see, I do still have the feeling I'm a bother or annoying or whatever when I go in.. just something in me.. but everytime I come out. I have gained some positive momentum and trust that maybe they are ok with me coming in . I hope so. I want to stick around here .. maybe until he retires :p..

Next step is come back if I want to add a tooth to the denture in a few weeks otherwise let it heal until August then go back and check it.

Sometimes its still a bit surreal I don't have my old dentist I loved so much and really gained all that trust with.. and I know he is off doing something different.. and passed me to the best. guess want to encourage even if you find a really good one and have to switch.. it can still end up favorable.

So this week, had a little bump in my journey, not on the dental end, but relates to my dental journey because I got a health diagnosis where they want to potentially put me on some drugs that really have big side effects and risks dentally . The first night .. I panicked just hearing the word "biphosphanate" because I remember reading it in bold .. in intake papers at dental offices, like it is a big red flag.. then I cried a little.. not much but .. like "omg, now my dental dreams are over".. for just a short time until I got up the courage to write my dentist and a dentist friend of mine and a post here. Just Thankful for all the support . REally appreciating my dentist first off his wife who is front office contacted me nearly after they opened for the day and said she would get the email to him, it seemed by his email he checked my chart and also sent me an article on this so really was so thorough and informative and just supportive with the situation helping me navigate the best option for me. Sometimes its super hard to reach out.. thinking you will be a bother etc.. but .. it is really worth it and trust building when you do and find people really do care and are so helpful!

Back