• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

A new and continued journey , challenges and blessings along the way.

Kitkat,

You should ask your dentist, :) This is the first dentist I have ever been to with one, so I don't know how popular it is.. but it is defiantely cool and worth it!! I was reading my old notes I wrote on my last 2nd part of implant , putting in healing cap, and they definately cut and put a flap and stiched it up.. This time none of that with the waterlaser.. crazy.. but cool.. I do agree going without will be worth it in the end, I just have to time it when I don't have any social functions. . Definately positive momentum. and feeling very blessed!

Kitkat,

You should ask your dentist, :) This is the first dentist I have ever been to with one, so I don't know how popular it is.. but it is defiantely cool and worth it!! I was reading my old notes I wrote on my last 2nd part of implant , putting in healing cap, and they definately cut and put a flap and stiched it up.. This time none of that with the waterlaser.. crazy.. but cool.. I do agree going without will be worth it in the end, I just have to time it when I don't have any social functions. . Definately positive momentum. and feeling very blessed!

Yes, I should ask my dentist her thoughts on it at my next appointment. I feel like she's a bit "old school" at times but then she does implants which I feel like are more new technology so...I don't know where she'd stand with it.

Yes, I should ask my dentist her thoughts on it at my next appointment. I feel like she's a bit "old school" at times but then she does implants which I feel like are more new technology so...I don't know where she'd stand with it.

Most lasers are expensive (though some models are quite affordable). But I think the real turn-off is the learning curve (starting off with the theoretical knowledge, then moving on to practicing on - admittedly dead - pigs' heads :scared: - and then spending a long time perfecting the techniques on real patients).

Most lasers are expensive (though some models are quite affordable). But I think the real turn-off is the learning curve (starting off with the theoretical knowledge, then moving on to practicing on - admittedly dead - pigs' heads :scared: - and then spending a long time perfecting the techniques on real patients).

Wow!!! I didn’t realize that was how they learned to use them but it’s nice to know they don’t practice on live people...not right away anyway!

wow.. yes, this is interesting. I definately can vouch this waterlaser thing is amazing though..no matter how they practice :).. I still can't believe how easy that was in comparison to my last uncovering and abutment procedure. its a world of difference..

For sake of keeping up with my journal here, there has been a bit happening with plans regarding my dental. My dentist really since i've been seeing him , as listened to my concerns and really got my frustrations, embarrassments, etc with my teeth.. He is the first dentist that really gets my goals and dreams of being able to fully eat and function and the dream of having bottom implants ( form of implant bridge) where my partial denture is covering 8 front teeth. and getting other missing teeth areas with a few more implants..

Well after several super high prices I would just sigh and move on knowing huh. I could NOT afford that , its so high.

well after talking about this with my dentist and finding out I have this severe osteoperosis where I have to do my dental work as soon as I can in order to get on the meds if I want to help my bones. I won't go on biphosphonates until my dental work is done and I am still believing in the dream.. I kept telling my dentist this.. He would say let him think on it .. he's been thinking and coming up with a plan for me. He came up with the final plan including several individual implants as well as implant bridge, bone grafts, something like bone splitting in the front where bone is skinny.. anyways its a lot of work and he is going to help me with a finance plan through the clinic to make it affordable..

I trust him and 100% believe this is the time for it., I'm in the right place.. I know it will be a real healing process and not easy. but worth it.. I cannot wait to be able to eat and chew right. I think I"ll be eating lots of mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving.. I'm waiting to hear back on start date but should be in the next few weeks. so soon the adventure begins. I sure am glad to have DFC for sure.. Its time to get healthy its time to go after my dream... its time to be courageous like all of you!!

Wow! This sounds like a really big undertaking! I do believe that it is truly the right time and the right dentist to do this with based on what you have said. I am glad that he is willing to work with you on the financial end of things to make your dream into a reality. I look forward to reading your updates throughout this new journey.

Thanks Kitkat.. I can't tell you how many signs I keep getting that point to this being the right thing and timing .. and I'm somehow strangley a little nervous but a lot at peace... The thing that I'm most nervous about is 2 of my bad teeth I still have that are hanging in there have to come out to get the implants in and those are my greatest chewing teeth.. I basically have one area in my mouth I can chew with in the back left, with my upper and lower teeth and I have to extract the upper for the plan... ouch.. mentally... well... I m asking him to hold off on that as long as we can so I can get some more chewing power on the other side before I do it.. Its definately going to be a process for a year or so with everything.. but .. He wants to do as much all at once so I can just heal everything at same time. I am looking beyond all that to my dream :).. Keeping my eye on the goal.

Sounds like you may end up on a very soft diet for awhile but at least it will be temporary and worth the sacrifice in the end.

Yes.. very true Kitkat. I am planning of making new soups and soft recipes :) and of course chocolate mousse is always a good soft food.

Yes.. very true Kitkat. I am planning of making new soups and soft recipes :) and of course chocolate mousse is always a good soft food.

I really love how inspirational your journal is! You are so courageous-well done!

I meant to write back on this so long ago after I liked this.. Thanks so much Aurora for your encouragement.. You also are such an inspiriation to me !!

So.. I went to my dentist today for an exam prior to beginning my treatment plan . I almost feeling like crying not in a bad way but good.. Thankful to have found a kind, competent, very reassuring and caring dentist.. I feel really blessed to have him and the whole clinic , everyone there has been such a blessing.. Before I walk in I feel a little nervous about procedures, but then I always feel better after I'm in the chair and feeling heard, understood and really cared for as a patient.

I feel hope like I've never felt before.. its won't be an easy road but it will be worth it. Going to start the journey in early December starting with bottom implants and a bone splitting procedure. It will be a 3 hr procedure on local and ativan. I'll update as I go along. In a year from now I'll be in a much better place. I'm really so glad to be a part of DFC through this process. The other journals and posts have really helped me and encouraged me.

Wow, I never saw your journal. You have an amazing dentist to put so much thought into your plan. So happy for you!

I meant to write back on this so long ago after I liked this.. Thanks so much Aurora for your encouragement.. You also are such an inspiriation to me !!
That's too sweet, thank you!

Wow, I never saw your journal. You have an amazing dentist to put so much thought into your plan. So happy for you!

Thank you so much Shakinginmyboots! Kind of a crazy thing that I'm so at peace with him after a year and many different procedures after my old dentist I really adored so much left. I wasn't quite sure how switching dentists would be but gave him a solid chance and he has really been the best!

I am very much looking forward to reading how your journey evolves. I can relate to still feeling nervous before procedures but relaxing once in the chair. I think that is a sign of being with the right dentist.

I am very much looking forward to reading how your journey evolves. I can relate to still feeling nervous before procedures but relaxing once in the chair. I think that is a sign of being with the right dentist.

Thanks @kitkat :) I so agree.. I feel an amazing peace.. mostly nervous about the healing time but I'm more excited and feel more ready than ever..

Well..It is the weekend before my lifechanging procedure... these bottom dentures for 20 years... now This coming Tuesday I will get my bonesplitting procedure and bonegraft to make implants possible where I've had these dentures.. Its a dream and I'm half excited and half scared... I'm actually not scared of what happens in the chair because I'm thankful to have a dentist I really trust and has been nothing but the best to me.. however the healing is scary just not knowing how it will really go. but..I'm moving forward.. excited for a new chapter. I'm sure I'll write more before then.. just venting here as I don't talk much to others about that besides my DFC friends.. :)

I’m so excited for you! I will be sending you extra positive vibes on Tuesday and more in the days to follow as you recover. Just imagine reading over your journal some day after everything is complete and how happy you’ll be that you did it. When I’m facing particularly tough times, I sometimes like to write letters to my future self and set them aside to read later after the ordeal; maybe you could try this. I find it to be quite therapeutic.

Back