• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

A new and continued journey , challenges and blessings along the way.

@kitkat '

Thanks so much Kitkat!! That is a great idea about the letters! I think I will do that.. I am a huge journaler in general but specifically a letter to myself is a great idea and way to start this off that morning especially..and yes, reading them back after its all said and done will be amazing too. Anytime I talk with my dentist , he's always so positive and reassuring.. and I feel really great about things. Just got an email back basically saying I can do it with or without Lorazepam, (had asked about that for just a little more chill factor for me) that its fine either way. So at the moment Im thinking just straight local will do good then I can drive myself home and also not worry about the Lorazepam interacting with the pain pills.. one thing I know for sure my dentist has always been great making sure I have enough local and in no pain.

Night before my big procedure day... since I'll be getting the bone splittig procedure, I know I won't be eating anything solid for a bit.. so picked up some food from my favorite take out and enjoying that . leaving at 7:30am tomorrow to drop my son to school and head on over. first to the bakery to pick up some sweets. then to the dentist.

I wouldn't do this if I didn't have a huge amount of positive momentum and trust built with my dentist. Still a big procedure. 3 hour surgery for the bottom. I know I wouldn't be human if I didn't have a small bit of anxiety, mostly its wondering about the pain after and how intense that will be. . My heart is pounding thinking of it all.. but I do know I'll be okay.

This is a huge dream of mine... to one day replace my dentures with implants.. because of the lost bone and number of years I had them , I didn't think it was possible but .. it is.. :) and it is happening tomorrow. It will be probably 8-12 months before I get the final bridge completed , guestimate. but it will be worth it!

Thankful for my kind and caring dentist for making this possible and doable financially and just the whole team.. really thankful.

Keep me in thoughts and send any positive vibes :). I'll report back when I'm able. sorry for rambling.. :). just want to keep up my thoughts on this journal to look back..

Night before my big procedure day... since I'll be getting the bone splittig procedure, I know I won't be eating anything solid for a bit.. so picked up some food from my favorite take out and enjoying that . leaving at 7:30am tomorrow to drop my son to school and head on over. first to the bakery to pick up some sweets. then to the dentist.

I wouldn't do this if I didn't have a huge amount of positive momentum and trust built with my dentist. Still a big procedure. 3 hour surgery for the bottom. I know I wouldn't be human if I didn't have a small bit of anxiety, mostly its wondering about the pain after and how intense that will be. . My heart is pounding thinking of it all.. but I do know I'll be okay.

This is a huge dream of mine... to one day replace my dentures with implants.. because of the lost bone and number of years I had them , I didn't think it was possible but .. it is.. :) and it is happening tomorrow. It will be probably 8-12 months before I get the final bridge completed , guestimate. but it will be worth it!

Thankful for my kind and caring dentist for making this possible and doable financially and just the whole team.. really thankful.

Keep me in thoughts and send any positive vibes :). I'll report back when I'm able. sorry for rambling.. :). just want to keep up my thoughts on this journal to look back..

You are so courageous!! I'm really excited for you??

Thinking of you. All the best for tomorrow.

Thinking of you and hope all goes well and also sending positive vibes!!! :grouphug: Xx

Thank you all so much!!! It means so much! I don't know what I'd do without this community and friends at DFC!! This is the day!!!!! Just getting up and getting a good breakfast!! Its happening. My heart is pumping a little faster and feeling some nerves. But I'm doing this. Ill keep you all updated. :) :)

You are so brave ? will keep everything crossed for you but I am sure it will go just fine ???? xxx

Good luck! I know that you are in very good hands!

Good luck, thinking of you, hope everything goes well for you! :clover:

So. I had made it back a few hours ago and actually wrote a bit here and somehow lost it so I will again now that I've had some rest
Things went really well today! I did the bone expansion and grafting on bottom front along with 3 implants and bone graft on bottom right. It was intense work and a bit nervous on the expansion part. W all the different tools. I did survive fine. The hardest part was keeping my mouth open wide enough. For the way back work . that was difficult. There was one second when there was pain and I sort of jumped. He immediately stopped and gave me a little more local said he probably hit a little of the nerve there. It didn't bother me after that. Just a brief jolt of discomfort.

The good parts. My dentist and assistant are super sweet. They checked on me often to ask how I was doing. He gave me plenty of local and a dose to go to last me till I got my pain meds. They were really good the whole time.

Made it home driving myself . the numbing wore off a bit so was feeling it. Took the heavy pain meds. And rested a bit. :) thought I'd update and thank you all for your encouragement in my journey!

:jump::jump::jump: So glad it went well! Wishing you a speedy recovery and a lot of rest. Let us know how you are doing.

So. I had made it back a few hours ago and actually wrote a bit here and somehow lost it so I will again now that I've had some rest
Things went really well today! I did the bone expansion and grafting on bottom front along with 3 implants and bone graft on bottom right. It was intense work and a bit nervous on the expansion part. W all the different tools. I did survive fine. The hardest part was keeping my mouth open wide enough. For the way back work . that was difficult. There was one second when there was pain and I sort of jumped. He immediately stopped and gave me a little more local said he probably hit a little of the nerve there. It didn't bother me after that. Just a brief jolt of discomfort.

The good parts. My dentist and assistant are super sweet. They checked on me often to ask how I was doing. He gave me plenty of local and a dose to go to last me till I got my pain meds. They were really good the whole time.

Made it home driving myself . the numbing wore off a bit so was feeling it. Took the heavy pain meds. And rested a bit. :) thought I'd update and thank you all for your encouragement in my journey!

You're a Superstar!!! I am so SO proud of you and happy for you???

Thank you so much @Enarete @Aurora10 !! :) :)

Today I'm in a bit of pain here on day 2. I only took one dose of the Hyrocodone because it made me nauseous and dizzy. I think it was because didn't have much in my stomach so I will eat some soup and ice cream and try again.

Thinking back. My dentist really did a good and very calm job . I know it must have been a challenge as I couldn't open too wide floor him to get back there .I don't thi k I stretched my mouth that open in years.

Wanted to update a bit. Now I will go eat some liquid food :)

Wow, krlovesherkids777! I was very anxious for you today. So glad it went well. You're a real trooper. :)
I hope the pain meds work fine for you. It seems like you just take it all in your stride. Very inspiring for us all. Thanks for your update; it was on my mind all day...
May you be well and take it a little easy for a bit.

Thank you! @Ilovemydentistreally !! I've been resting on and off and thankful to have another day off work! :) I think I'm so thankful to have a kind caring dentist it really does make a difference to be able to go through more difficult work. I don't think I could have done this 2 years ago. I'm excited to hear more of your journey as you go along. :)

I've done my update, though it's all pretty tame stuff. I was checking on yours before I even got to mine, so worried was I.
Hopefully you do rest up and make the most of your day off. You have earned it! :)
And much respect also to your dentist, of course, for getting the work done and helping you to this good stage. Their care is just as important as their skill. I'm so glad for you.

@Ilovemydentistreally .... so agree the care is as important as the skill.. yes.. totally..

Day 4.. well day 3 I pretty much slept through seems day 3 was worse than day 2. still a little swollen . and still moderate pain levels taking ibuprofen and acetaminophen. Having some flashback type memories of the procedure... I know he tried to make it the easiest possible . its definitely a vulnerable place to be in that chair for such a long time with such extensive work. and really the back of the mouth is not.. definitely not my favorite place to do any work...I have a very small mouth and to open as wide as I needed to was nearly impossible.. What I am glad for is , he didn't even try to suggest the bite block.. which I really can't do.. My dentist and assistant were as nice as could be given the situation. right now I"m a little worried about my stitches but not enough to make the call. I think they will hang in there until Tuesday. I'm only eating soup, gravy ,smoothies and applesauce right now.. maybe after he checks my stitches I will go on to try potatoes and other soft foods. nervous about those little graft particles falling out.. and thinking of those cover screws that went in hoping they stay good and tight... and stitched in.. anyways. just a quick update on my journal. :) I went back and looked at my past journal entries to see how long my stiches lasted the first time so the journal definately is handy :)

Again.. I am really thankful to be a part of DFC.. where people understand and support.. :). what a great place to be.

Extensive work that takes a long time is very difficult for me no matter how much I like the dentist/staff. It just wears down my nerves after awhile being in that scenario. I have to bring my earbuds and listen to music to distract myself (I’ve actually gone to using them all of the time except for cleanings). I’ve found that when I use them, procedures feel shorter and I have less memories of the procedure afterward. I still like to be present during the procedure to some extent so I always have one ear bud in and one out, so that I can hear the dentist/assistant talking to me. I am also not a fan of work far back in the mouth (I mostly worry about gagging). I have actually had success with the bite-block but have only used it once, many years ago. The dentist had me try it because I was shaking a lot and she said that biting on it could help relax my mouth (it actually did). She didn’t call it a bite-block or I might have turned it down lol. She just asked if I’d like to try biting on something to relax my jaw. With my control issues, I’m a bit surprised it worked for me but it felt like something that I could take out easily if I wanted to. Hope you continue to recover quickly and smoothly.

Last edited:
Thanks @kitkat !! That is a really nice thing she just said about the bite block something to help relax your mouth.. I know I"ve tried it a few times and it just doesn't work with me.. agh.. The earbuds.. you know maybe I should get some.. :) that sounds like a great idea.. haven't tried that one yet. I just wish I could open a bit wider.. anyways..

Its day 6 and still in pain.. and a few stiches came out and a few hanging and seems like there are empty pockets between gum and top .. so thats not likely good? anyone have that? I looked. it doesn't look pretty.. trying to remind myself it will all be worth it.. really scared to eat anything for fear it will aggravate the stiches more and they fall out and then more of whats in their will come out.. I swear I've been eating little bovine bone the last few days .

Tomorrow is my one week follow up... so.. I'll see how that goes but by the looks of things I'm hoping he stiches me back up good and maybe packs some more bone in there? eeks.

Back