• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

A new and continued journey , challenges and blessings along the way.

Thank you so much @Ilovemydentistreally !! lol I"ve woken up hungry too, then thinking of things Id love to eat or seen pics..lol. I can't wait to eat more really.. :) @Aurora10 Thanks again... yes.. Onward and upward.. and literally upward,. onto the top teeth next :cool:;)

How long will it be until all your treatment is completed? ??

That is a good question, but the majority of it should be completed by this time next year.. Everytime I go and sit in the chair I think.. by next Christmas I'll be eating a lot better.. it will all be worth it :)

That is a good question, but the majority of it should be completed by this time next year.. Everytime I go and sit in the chair I think.. by next Christmas I'll be eating a lot better.. it will all be worth it :)

I love it-such positive thoughts ?!

So.. another stitches post op. I got my surgery Dec 3 and now its Jan 3. The last stiches pretty much stayed besides one in the back he took out today. he left the others in by my ridge expansion and membrane. said he wantd to keep them one more week and check back.. Next week, we will take a look possibly get my stitches out and then do the CT Scan for the top work so he can look plan out the top work more. then I'll start my surgeries on the top which include some bone grafts, membranes and implants and possibly a couple extractions with immediate implants..

After all the stitches I kind of want a break.. but I won't take too big of one, as long as I have the momentum going.. and really.. my dentist is such a positive encouraging person.. When he talks you just get this really positive confident feeling like everything will be ok.. I love the feeling of the whole office and everyone is just so pleasant there.. I go back in a week and a day now, next Saturday.

I totally understand wanting a break but not wanting to lose forward momentum. Glad to hear things are finally starting to heal up. Are you using any type of sedation for these procedures? I just can’t imagine doing this kind of thing fully aware.

So.. another stitches post op. I got my surgery Dec 3 and now its Jan 3. The last stiches pretty much stayed besides one in the back he took out today. he left the others in by my ridge expansion and membrane. said he wantd to keep them one more week and check back.. Next week, we will take a look possibly get my stitches out and then do the CT Scan for the top work so he can look plan out the top work more. then I'll start my surgeries on the top which include some bone grafts, membranes and implants and possibly a couple extractions with immediate implants..

After all the stitches I kind of want a break.. but I won't take too big of one, as long as I have the momentum going.. and really.. my dentist is such a positive encouraging person.. When he talks you just get this really positive confident feeling like everything will be ok.. I love the feeling of the whole office and everyone is just so pleasant there.. I go back in a week and a day now, next Saturday.

You always amaze me with your courage! You are so positive too and that really helps in any situation. I really get the reluctance to go ahead with the next stage, just make sure your 100pc happy with whatever decision you make.
In the meantime, I'm so glad that things are progressing well, good start to the New Year for you ?

@kitkat , I've been a local only gal for all of my adult life .. though... at times have taken lorazepam to help take the edge off the anxiety and put me in chill mode.. I don't take it though if I know I will be in pain after as that doens't mix well with vicoden and I want to stay safe. I know the work , especially this last bit of work is the most intense I've ever had.. maybe I would have done well to have nitrous. but my dentist knows I just go for local so didn't suggest it.. @Aurora10 Thank you so much for the encouragement and validation to be comfortable with whatever I do!! I thank God for this forum and all the support !

So yesterday I went in and got all my stiches out. I had an appointment to do it Saturday but they were coming out and bugging me and it almost felt as my whole gum was moving.. it wasn't but I was unsure as its really feeling funny.. So I texted and emailed the clinic and they got me in within a few hours .

I went and it was first off a little unsettling.. because change triggers anxiety for me... and my dental clinic used to have 2 locations but as of this week they merged both locations with a few more doctors and several more assistants to my location and there is alot more people, busier, and just a different changed of atmosphere I had to adjust ..and focus and process through that. My clinic is typically very quiet and laid back and relaxed and really has the atmosphere of a jazz club with low lights and soft music and just really inviting typically.. maybe it will still be like that in the evening? not sure.. It took a little for my dentist to come into the room and meanwhile I was just looking around and taking everything in.. there were new dentists walking around... then I saw one that I knew from a previous clinic.. I won't comment much.. my daughter saw him on a switcheroo. that was unexpected. it was a few years ago. it kind of startled me for a second. it was like a flashback to my old dental office that did switcheroos then had me worried for a minute thinking back.. I also had a new assistant.. brand new she just started.. so I didn't have my usual assistant Aimee who I am so comfortable with.. This new assistant though I will give her alot of credit.she was very sweet and I can see her being great and kind to anxious patients so I think they have a winner there. :) There is also another assistant from the other location I saw over there with my previous dentist when he was over there.. and she is one of the best assistants one could ask for... really awesome! and so really glad to have her at the clinic now!

As soon as my dentist came in and said he could take the stiches out after he looked I Was relieved. Firstoff it was him and they hadn't tried to switch me.. I talked tohim about this last time I was in and asked himi and he said I would remain his patient and the other dentists have their own patients. so that was reassuring.. the manager also said the same, so my hope is that will keep true.. I really trust my dentist. he is patient and gentle and competant and really cares. After he took the stiches out he took me back to the CT scan so he can complete the planning for the phase 2 top implants and graphs and more. . We had a nice conversation about that and other health issues. He always shows his care and thouroughness . He told me I can schedule the next phase anytime . But I"m giving myself a few week break to eat !! I do appreciate my dentist more everytime I go.

Speaking of eating.. :cheers::cheer2::cheer::dance::dance2: I"m actually eating.. had salmon last night and salmon cakes today and chocolate molten cakes. and toast.. things I haven't had in a long time. normal food :) not liquidized!!! I can't tell you how excited I am.. I hope I have a very uneventful next few weeks before I start the next phase.

Snap! I had salmon last night too!
Lol! Jazz club dentist. :)
Seriously though, really good writing makes for such good reading. :)
People like you keep the world turning.
(Did you have to mention chocolate molten cakes though? My appetite was just like, "Hello!" )
So glad you enjoyed though. You surely have earned them!!

awww @Ilovemydentistreally , Thanks for the encouragment.. yes, seriously I feel like I"m going into the club especially evening time :). and yeah molten lava cakes with whipped cream :) gotta celebrate.. You are awesome!!

"Feel the fear and do it anyway"

Well 2 weeks past stiches out on bottom. My dentist said I could do the next step anytime. He has everything he needs and ready on his end. Now. I just have to psyche myself up and be ready on my end.

I am giving myself a few weeks to eat a little more being kind to myself. I also need to plan a few days off as I work in a busy call center and my mouth is used all day constantly. I found out last time this can hinder healing.

Rationally speaking I know my dentist is competant to do the job and always kind to me in the process. So that is good. I also really trust my usual assistant but I'm a little scared I may not get her now w the office changes. The clinic is busier and the energy is faster it seemed and changes like this make me nervous. Though if I knew it would be just the same dentist and assistant in the usual relaxed space. I think is be less nervous.

Well. He's never done me wrong and has only been great w me so I guess I will walk face on into the fear and come out the other end.

Just venting before I make the call to set up the next step of my mouth total transformation. What better place than DFC.

Good luck! Also, for my own curiosity, are there any foods you can eat now, but that you couldn’t this time last year?

@Dg6300 Thank you! Not yet.. but there ARE foods I can eat that I was unable to eat last month after the surgery.. that really took me out of eating much for nearly a month with all the stiches in and out. now I'm just eating "normal" for me.. nothing too crunchy and soft meats . I eat alot of soft food still . but its an upgrade from smooth soups and smoothies .. I"m eating Salmon, and tuna and crab and softer meats :).. this time next years I maybe eating Doritos and a nice steak :)

"Feel the fear and do it anyway"

Well 2 weeks past stiches out on bottom. My dentist said I could do the next step anytime. He has everything he needs and ready on his end. Now. I just have to psyche myself up and be ready on my end.

I am giving myself a few weeks to eat a little more being kind to myself. I also need to plan a few days off as I work in a busy call center and my mouth is used all day constantly. I found out last time this can hinder healing.

Rationally speaking I know my dentist is competant to do the job and always kind to me in the process. So that is good. I also really trust my usual assistant but I'm a little scared I may not get her now w the office changes. The clinic is busier and the energy is faster it seemed and changes like this make me nervous. Though if I knew it would be just the same dentist and assistant in the usual relaxed space. I think is be less nervous.

Well. He's never done me wrong and has only been great w me so I guess I will walk face on into the fear and come out the other end.

Just venting before I make the call to set up the next step of my mouth total transformation. What better place than DFC.

Sorry to hear that the energy of the office has changed. Is there a chance you could request your assistant that you are used to? I don‘t think that would be an unreasonable request to make. Maybe they could make a note on your file that you prefer a specific assistant. I think it is good to take short breather from the work..the mouth is such a vital part of the body and it is difficult when it is out of commission (especially in your line of work). You know we are always here to support you!

Just checking in on the site. I haven’t gotten through this whole thread, but so glad to see that it seems things are going well for you!!

krlovesherkids777,
I'm so glad you are healing up and enjoying your food.
:) You have thoroughly earned it!
As for the next step: I think you are right about giving yourself time to psyche up.
I'm sure you will know when it is time to tackle it.
I still can't get the image I have in my head, that you have painted, of your dentist-come-jazz club! It's a pity it's all busier now though. I'd hate that. Any changes throw me off course though. You are so different and much, much braver.
I do try to learn from you. :)
Thanks for updating.

@kitkat .. Thank you so much for the support , I did send an email today with requesting to have the same assistant and another that I've had before that was good too. I hope they can do that. I know it may not always be possible due to office flow or needs but yes. totally worth the ask.. it really does make a difference to have someone you are familiar with by your side.. @FearfulInMA .. Thanks so much... so nice to see you again :) :). @Ilovemydentistreally I'm really trying to remember i'll really be enjoying more food when I get done with this all. trying to motivate myself. I"m getting a little scared as we're supposed to be working on the upper right next.. and the upper left seems to be a little amped up lately.. feeling aches and like something is loose or about to pop.. and that is the only area I can eat on presently so REALLY wanted it to hang in there!! My dentist is totally ok with doing the whole upper but.. I really wanted to wait and be able to eat .. I need some teeth to eat with.. if I do upper left I will have no surfaces really that bit down together. :(.. I'm trying to stay positive.. and grateful ,, but really feeling a bit nervous and frozen at the moment.. I guess progress is not all linear.. we all have our moments of anxiety no matter what positive momentum we've achieved.

I’ve just realized that I’ve become a bit spoiled at my dentist. The office is very small and she really only has 1 assistant that works with her during proedures (there are a couple other ones that do cleanings/x-rays that I get from time to time and those still turn over somewhat). Every couple of years her main assistant for procedures would turn over but she‘s had this one for many years now and I’ve come to just expect her being there. I think it would kind of throw me off to have someone else. It‘s funny how the assistant can also influence the dentist’s behavior/mood. I feel like with this assistant, my dentist is a bit more light hearted and less serious. They seem to be more personable and friendly with each other...you can tell they have a friendship that goes beyond work by the conversations they have and they’ve been working together so long that things just go smoothly...they can anticipate the other person‘s next move without saying anything or giving specific instructions..they just intuitively know each other’s routines. It‘s a dynamic I take for granted.

@kitkat. That really is a blessing isn't it.? I get really triggered by change and to have a good assistant is really a Godsend. Your team sounds amazing . I feel like its like I'm asking so much in a sense or maybe they could think its weird but you know what . its worth the ask.

@kitkat. That really is a blessing isn't it.? I get really triggered by change and to have a good assistant is really a Godsend. Your team sounds amazing . I feel like its like I'm asking so much in a sense or maybe they could think its weird but you know what . its worth the ask.

Think about it this way, when people go to a nail or hair salon or the spa for a massage/facial they request specific people all of the time and nobody think it’s strange at all (it’s actually expected) so why should this be any different?

Back