• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

A new and continued journey , challenges and blessings along the way.

:party::party::party: Well got all my stiches out and it feels amazing like my gums can breath again and I don't have to worry about swallowing random stitch pieces.. My assistant took out the stiches this time and did a great job and was very gentle, they did give me topical , no pain at all! Now my dentist said its time to put the implants where the bone expansion /grafting is in the front.. That was the worst area to work on for me.. well the bone expansion healing was just not fun to put it lightly.. hopefully the implant placement part will be a lot better. He wants to take another ct scan to see how its healing and plan more specifically. so I'll go back for that the week before. I probably won't do it for another month or close since I have to get some more time off work.

You, my friend, are a real trooper. :) You inspire me but make me feel so inadequate. :)
Seriously, well done indeed. Hope all goes as well as possible.

Thought I would update even though I really have nothing to update.. First off @Ilovemydentistreally you are awesome and inspire me :).. Thank you for the kind words all the time. It feels weird going so long having no update.. :). For a while there it was a nice break,, no pain, no swelling , no trips to get stiches out,, just a little healing break.. I know my dentist said I could potentially get the abutments on my lower and my implants in my bone splitting area after 4 months.. well. its 5 months now.. so actually feeling a bit safer and personally planning to go back after 5-6 months just to give more healing time and time for the bone to fuse since my first implant needed a few extra months , better safe..

Back in March my dentist told me I could come in soon for the next part .. then it would have been the 4 months but first he would do another ct scan a week before just to double make sure on all his plans ans how things are healing. well that was the week before Covid hit us hard in the states and right before the state closed down.. REALLY glad I didn't proceed to the next step yet.

Wondering when I will get the chance to...Things are looking a little up. but.. just not sure.. I'm a bit apprehensive to jump too quickly after all this. but at the same time I would love to get going too and get to eating well and having teeth in my mouth the sooner the better. I'm not giving up on this dream.. if they don't call me by June and let me know its good to come in I will call and see what is going on.. I do want to be careful as to not be too agressive with my treatments during covid either..

I really hope my dentist and staff are doing well.. They are emergency dentists and pretty much everyone is shut down here but a few emergency dentists. so I'm guessing they may be busy .but you never know?

I'm getting a ton of emails from every other dentist regarding covid and their policies and changes and information. but nothing from my office.

I really hope the best for everyone here!! I hope your teeth are not causing any pain and issues and you are keeping safe and healthy!! Thinking and praying for all my friends here on DFC!!!!

Thought I would update even though I really have nothing to update.. First off @Ilovemydentistreally you are awesome and inspire me :).. Thank you for the kind words all the time. It feels weird going so long having no update.. :). For a while there it was a nice break,, no pain, no swelling , no trips to get stiches out,, just a little healing break.. I know my dentist said I could potentially get the abutments on my lower and my implants in my bone splitting area after 4 months.. well. its 5 months now.. so actually feeling a bit safer and personally planning to go back after 5-6 months just to give more healing time and time for the bone to fuse since my first implant needed a few extra months , better safe..

Back in March my dentist told me I could come in soon for the next part .. then it would have been the 4 months but first he would do another ct scan a week before just to double make sure on all his plans ans how things are healing. well that was the week before Covid hit us hard in the states and right before the state closed down.. REALLY glad I didn't proceed to the next step yet.

Wondering when I will get the chance to...Things are looking a little up. but.. just not sure.. I'm a bit apprehensive to jump too quickly after all this. but at the same time I would love to get going too and get to eating well and having teeth in my mouth the sooner the better. I'm not giving up on this dream.. if they don't call me by June and let me know its good to come in I will call and see what is going on.. I do want to be careful as to not be too agressive with my treatments during covid either..

I really hope my dentist and staff are doing well.. They are emergency dentists and pretty much everyone is shut down here but a few emergency dentists. so I'm guessing they may be busy .but you never know?

I'm getting a ton of emails from every other dentist regarding covid and their policies and changes and information. but nothing from my office.

I really hope the best for everyone here!! I hope your teeth are not causing any pain and issues and you are keeping safe and healthy!! Thinking and praying for all my friends here on DFC!!!!
I know what you mean being in limbo you want to finish things (not that it's likely right now) but if you did get the chance you don't want to be left stuck in a situation+not able to get help. I'm used to being stuck indoors (to a point) but it's not having doctors/hospital appointments in place that's getting to me,I know I've never had an end date as such but even more so now I just didn't think I'd still be like this a year on. ?

@tazey, right its a weird place to be in because of pandemic, I can see where you would feel like you were in limbo even before with them not communicating your ending or much of anything. Hope you are doing well Tazey!

I'm getting by,hope your ok? eating is still an issue people keep saying to me go to the doctor but there's nothing he can physically do it's all dental related so just have to wait,stupid to think things would be different by my birthday.

Glad you are getting by Tazey! I'm okay.. it is frustating and challenging to eat with not too many teeth. I know I am not the only one.. we are all in the company of the best who know how to be resilant as heck . On one hand I can't wait to get this process started again and the other hand I'm very scared what that will look like post Covid.. and post dental office changes.. Changes always trigger my anxiety.. though I know all we can do is take one brave step at a time. Tazey I may have missed it but is your bday soon ?

Thinking about momentum alot ... and what a powerful thing that is.. feeling like when you're on a roll and there is less time between visits and it just feels more familiar it takes less effort a bit to get motivated to go . More trust is built each time,kind of brick by brick , but seems when its been a while. some of those bricks of trust you built has maybe gotten knocked down or weathered a bit and doesn't seem as strong to go back. Its been really about 4 months after my last big procedure and its feels like eternity since I've been to a dental office lol you know you visit alot when 4 months seems way too long.. well in one sense its been a nice break from all the dental procedures..on another end. I'd sure love to get on with this and get my teeth. and feel , look and eat a bit better or hopefully alot better.

I think the first time I call or go back , the anxiety will be quite up there.. especially since the office is changing , more drs and assistants I don't know. busier, covid changes, who knows what else . changes really trigger my anxiety.

Just heard back from my dental office today saying to give them a call to talk to my dr about the plan and setting up the next step that there may or may not be some urgency in my situation.

I'm going to be positive and I'm going to try to remember what they all have been through too the last few months as Covid hit the dental hard, especially with them being emergency and one of the few open. I have alot of respect for my dentist so that is one reason that makes me less anxious to go back I know once I'm in the chair getting work, he has always treated me right and why would that change?

lol just journaling since I haven't for a while. Hope anyone reading this is staying safe, well and free from tooth pain and issues.

Thanks for the update! I so hear you on momentum! It is certainly easier to stay fear free or stay at a acceptable level at least, if you have had few visits in a row. Now with the covid stuff it's all so uncertain anyway. I can imagine that practice changes and new people around probably do not help either. Glad you have still trust in your dentist though.

Thank you so much @Enarete :) :) I just talked to them today and have an appointment for the 29th at 11:00. To do ct scan to see how bottom is healing then make the plan and do a reline of my bottom denture so I can have something to wear when I go to work . most of the time I work from home but have some important meetings and feel really self conscious with more than 1/2 my teeth missing and miss the security of my partial right now.

Anyways. They were really nice and I'm feeling pretty ok about it. still wondering about Covid changes and hoping they don't look too much like aliens with ppe. :) but one step at a time.

Anyways. They were really nice and I'm feeling pretty ok about it. still wondering about Covid changes and hoping they don't look too much like aliens with ppe. :) but one step at a time.
You will do great! I was really worried about this too. I really didn’t notice much of a difference with their PPE. My sister said her dental office staff looked like astronauts, but mine had on N95 masks and that’s about the only difference I could see. The biggest change was checking in from the parking lot and wearing a mask in when walking in and leaving (which is kinda ironic considering they are there to look at your teeth, haha).

Thank you @thisisme . I'm glad you didn't notice that many differences , I have seen pics of dentists with those astronaut type suits and honestly that would make me pretty nervous . I'm hoping its not that extreme at my dentist but this will be less threatening just to go for planning and ct scan. lol funny about the mask and them working on your teeth. a newsletter from a previous dentist said. "We will all be wearing masks but you will not because we do need to work in your mouth ..."

Well...tomorrow is my first appt since March. Just going to get a ct scan to see how the bottom is before we progress to the next step, get a plan and possible realignment of my lower partial so I can feel a little better when I have work meeting.. well.. if I should be able to take a mask off.. I'm in a more curious mode than anxious mode, as it seems like so many changes with Covid and also with my office.. seems they added quite a few new staff so I want to check out the culture and atmosphere before I have work done again. So easing in slowly again. :)

Good luck with your appointment, good to see that things are starting up again. They will have such a backlog! Over here in Germany things are a bit more relaxed and we’re not being treated by astronauts. They just wear surgical masks, but they do that anyway. Plus there are fewer patients in the waiting room - actually it’s pretty cool because they seem to have more time. When I see what’s happening in US and UK I wonder sometimes if we’re not being a bit too lax. I would hate for my dentist to catch this virus, on the other hand Germany does seem to have it under control and there are not many cases even in the big city where I live.

Thank you so much @JaySee19 ! I think its great things are a little more relaxed in Germany and that things seem to be more under control there! :)

I went to my appt today and have mixed feelings.. seems like some of the precautions weren't really there . like having a room full in the waiting area , it was not social distanced. people were quite close and some were coughing so. I told the front desk I would wait in the hall, if they could come out if they call me. and she agreed. So I went in the hall where there was no one. My dentist is in 6 story medical building on the 6th floor so you walk down this quiet carpeted hall which was alot less traffic than the dental office . felt a bit safer there. There was no hand sanitizer dispenser which I was surprised because this is commonplace for even basic stores and wherever you go.. (good thing I had my own personal supply)

I got a new assistant because the one I am used to and love so much is not there anymore. they seem to all be new. But on the bright side the new assistant was very pleasant and friendly and wanting to do a good job. another good point is no astronaut suits or other sterile scary looking covid outfits.. My dentst and assistant only wore a surgical mask, that was it.

They took a ct scan and said everything looks good to go ahead with bottom implants and we'll do the abutments on all my other implants in August together . They took impressions for the relign of my denture and I should have those in a few days. said they would call when they are in.

My dentist is really a nice, positive ,humble guy..I do really appreciate him and all he's done and the dental part wsn't too scary at all only the social distancing factors. and people being too close and no hand santizer, no temperature taking like is the norm. and I heard people coughing in the waiting area and employees..thats a bit of concern.

Yes, ours only wear surgical masks and I couldn’t see any hand sanitizer, although my husband, who also goes to the same guy (my recommendation, by the way!) says he saw some. The waiting room was empty though, so they do seem to space the patients well. Other doctors make you disinfect your hands first. Reception is behind plexi-glass but there’s no temperature taking. Nobody coughing, thank God. I think they’d be stared at very sternly! And I’ve found myself walking out of the treatment room to reception without a mask - and nobody has said anything.
I‘m very grateful that they were open when I needed them and had plenty of time for me. But they’re staring into open mouths all day, drilling, cleaning and creating aerosols - I really hope they stay safe. Not so much worried for myself.
Strange times!
Glad to hear you can go ahead with your implants. It’s great to start moving forward again. I don’t envy all those patients who’ve been in limbo for 3 1/2 months!

Great to hear that the dental part wasn't too scary :) - shame on their lack of precautions with regards to social distancing, that truly is shocking... I'm sure you could have done without the added stress of being thrown into the midst of a sneezing party :o?!

Thank you @letsconnect :) :) Thought I had responded back here.. sorry its been a week.

So I went again today to get my partial and it was a great appt all around. There wasn't as many people in the waiting room (probably the ones that were thought I was the crazy one having 2 masks on for extra protection ???

They had sanitizer today and also took my temperature. Things seemed safe this time. My dentist came and got me and brought me back and helped me get my partial to a perfect fit. We had a nice talk , I asked him some specific questions on my implants that are due to happen anytime., he is always such a positive person, really kind with a very humble , cool energy which really helps. He is encouraging me to do my surgery I need soon with the bottom implant area. I was able to just be very honest about my anxiety with everything. He encourage me to move forward and get to the place we want to and he was really concerned about my total health in the plan.

Also his wife also works in the office and came to say hello. We have boys near the same age and she's always pleasant to visit with. So I'm going to figure out when I can get things going .. and probably be in the next month at least . I think I feel comfortable enough.

Glad you are getting by Tazey! I'm okay.. it is frustating and challenging to eat with not too many teeth. I know I am not the only one.. we are all in the company of the best who know how to be resilant as heck . On one hand I can't wait to get this process started again and the other hand I'm very scared what that will look like post Covid.. and post dental office changes.. Changes always trigger my anxiety.. though I know all we can do is take one brave step at a time. Tazey I may have missed it but is your bday soon ?
Soz didn't see your reply,nope my birthday is in a few wks a certain one ending in a zero so dreading it even more than normal. Glad your second appointment went better my appointment is in 10 days but can't see me going as I have no way of getting there,I want to get to the private place aswell but have the same issue guess it won't be happening anytime soon. ? I guess everywhere looks pretty strange at the mo wouldn't know not been out in 5mths.

@tazey, sorry haven't got back here.. did I miss your bday? any news on yours ? hoping you can get in soon!!

Still pondering on when to do my next surgery on the bottom ridge putting implants. getting a little nervous as the ridge is quite thin wondering how that will be and the "what ifs" I do trust my dentist is competent and really I love the guy, he's really positive and kind but I"m the one who sees inside my mouth everyday and feels that thin ridge. I've had my partial for 20 years. 20 years of bone loss sometimes I question why I even thought this is even possible.. but I've had 3 dentists told me it is after seeing CT scans so thats a pretty good indication it should be ok.. I've come this far now.. I just have to mentally prep myself a bit more. not quite ready to hit the chair and think about the aftercare and thoughts of stiches in this area again.. This is the roughest area I had worked on in years well ever... so I'm not exactly jumping for joy to hit the area again though I know it will be worth it in the end.. most likely anyways..

Well sorting this all out in my head.. and feelings.. /emotions has to come to a good balance. hopefully September..

ON another hand my dentist doesn't have a hygienist because he is emergency so I have had an appt scheduled for cleaning at a place near me that a friend works at. so I'm going to meet a new hygienist and at least do that part of things for August :).. looking forward to it because they seem to be a lovely , anxious friendly practice. so in 10 days I'll be in the hygienist chair :)

Back