• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

A question for the dentists or anyone who may know (thanks)

D

danni0509

Hello, this could be a long post so apologies in advance.i had a tooth (lower number 6) broken at the gumline causing me toothache on & off had been for a while but im not a dentist fan so left it be, ended up scared to death of infection (i am pregnant) so i had this removed 7 weeks ago at the emergency dentist, came out in one piece & it wasn't a difficult extraction. Tooth number 7 was removed 2 years ago & a wisdom tooth grew in its place.

Couple of days after the extraction, tooth number 5 felt odd like there was a discomfort inside the tooth, felt like discomfort all the time, not strong enough for painkillers but annoying none the less, so i went to the dentist he said it needed a small filling but doubts it would cause discomfort as it was so small, anyway he filled the tooth, but afterwards the same feeling was in the tooth.. I left it a week or so then several more trips back to the dentist & they eventually did an xray (I am 5 months pregnant by the way hence the reason they didnt want to do xrays at first) it showed an area under the filling (I think they said decay or air pocket?) so dentist re-opened the tooth & apparently the pulp area was all inflamed & dieing so the first bit of a root canal was done, I was back 2 days later with the same feeling of annoyance, so she re cleaned the tooth out, next day I opted for the tooth to be removed. (Sorry if I have the tooth numbers wrong, its just what I've read on the Internet - I mean tooth 6 for a molar & tooth 4 & 5 for premolars)

Thought this would solve the saga........... Except now the flaming annoying feeling is in tooth number 4.

Symptoms are -

not provoked by anything that I can tell, doesn't appear to be sensitive to hot or cold.

just randomly aches (low grade ache) I don't take painkillers for it (mainly because I am pregnant) sometimes its there the minute I wake up sometimes it comes with in half hour or an hour.thing is its most of the day, not just an hour or two a day its like most of the day & its everyday I don't get a day off.

doesnt appear to hurt when I bite down although I am trying to avoid eating in this area.

doesn't wake me from my sleep but if I woke up for the toilet in the night sometimes it will be there but it's needing the toilet that has woke me up not the tooth if you see what I mean.

ive been having occasional ear ache on the same side since all this begun, never had ear ache before this & ear doesn't hurt on opposite side.

No headaches or jaw ache or anything though.sorry its awkward to explain as it follows no pattern really.

i have had 5 dentists from the practise look at this now, all are stumped. There's no cavities in other teeth, the xray I had showed no issues with teeth around the area they xrayed.does anyone have any idea? This is stressful for me & it took me 10 years of fertility treatment after losing 3 precious baby's so now I should be enjoying this pregnancy but I feel like tooth problems are really ruining it as this is on my mind constantly.Thank you.

Last edited:
I will also mention, I have had a course of amoxicillin antibiotics 'just incase' but they did nothing at all.

I have had all the banging on teeth with tool, cold spray on cotton pellet, examinations by dentists who have been experienced dentists for 30 years etc.. Yet im still absoloutley none the wiser!

Would be really greatful for any input please.

Hi sometimes we get niggles with out teeth and mouth for no apparent reason. I am sorry but I think you just need to wait this one out. Sometimes having a tooth removed can cause the other teeth to feel off or ache a bit and I have found the more I think about it the more it seems to feel like that. It could even be you being pregnant could have caused this and will mysteriously disappear when you have the baby.

Have they checked your jaw or even done a bite test, sometimes when a tooth is removed it alters the bite a bit and if you are somehow putting pressure on the aching tooth without knowing it this could cause it.

I hope you manage to get this sorted out :grouphug::butterfly:

Thanks Carole.

My teeth aren't even when I bite down, I've got an overbite anyway & bottom back teeth missing so they have never sat quite right, but never caused me any problems before.

Its only been since 7 weeks ago when a bottom molar was removed did all this begin.

I've literally had this going on for 7 weeks now on the lower right side of my mouth, never a day off in all this time :(

i thought it could be pregnancy related but I had no problem the first 12 weeks of my pregnancy.

Ive woken up a couple of times in the night clashing my teeth together, not grinding or clenching its hard to explain, like slamming top & bottom together, I mentioned this to the dentist last week & he said oh that's probably why, but I get the feeling 'that's only why' because he can't find anything else wrong. I don't think I've done this before I think its happening because I'm so teeth obsessed & stressed with it all at the moment

he said I have to go back next week to be measured for a bite guard to see if it helps, I just don't see this working though?

If it were because of banging teeth together in my sleep, why is it only the one tooth area hurting & not top & bottom or both sides of teeth?

also it was in tooth 5 but I had this removed 14 days ago & the day after it was removed the same thing started in tooth 4 next to it.

the dentist said possible neuralgia but I've researched this a lot & i don't have the symptoms of neuralgia.

Thanks x

I echo everything that Carole said.

There's lots of things going on for you at the moment. You seem really stressed :( .
The dental guard seems a sensible solution. Give it a try and see how you get on. The good thing is that all these dentists have not found anything bad going on :)

But more importantly try and relax a bit more :XXLhug: . Stress is not good for you or your baby. Try relaxation exercises - practice for labour when this baby finally makes an appearance :jump:.

Good luck

Coolin

Hi there. First off, congratulations on your pregnancy:)
Ok to make sure I understand right, in a nutshell you had a tooth that had a strange and uncomfortable feeling under the tooth. After several visits, you had that tooth removed. The pain then returned, but in the tooth next to it. Is that right?

I think the night guard is a good idea, and it is possible to bang your teeth how you have explained and for it to hurt one tooth. I did this very thing the other week and the one tooth that I did bang gave me pain for about three weeks. I ended up catching it all the time and made it worse, I don't know when it stopped but it is fine now. I still thing a bite check is a very good idea and as you say it does feel out to you and has for a while.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: I think your dentist is on the ball with all this, and seems to be doing everything they can. Let us know how you get on. :butterfly:

valentine you have understood things correctly.

Back