• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

A very happy update

P

Parkerwash

I figured I would post an update to a post I wrote months ago. I started my journey in June. My teeth were in rough shape. I’m a 26 year old female who had struggled with an eating disorder in my late teens/very early 20’s. I’ve since recovered but my teeth took a toll. It’s was a constant reminder. I had not been to the dentist in 12 years...I suffered from constant tooth pain, infections, and three molars that just crumbled. It was a hellish mess. A few ER trips for antibiotics/ couldn’t function because of pain. I was scared of the dentist but also and even more so, embarrassed and ashamed. I had not looked inside my mouth in over a year. I was so scared. One infection came back and enough was enough. I called and made the appointment. They fit me in the next day. I did not sleep. I wanted so badly not to go. You could see my heartbeat on the drive over. My mom and fiancé went with me. Everyone at the office was so nice. They did xrays and gum measurements then the dentist came in the room. I stated crying and let him know about the state of my teeth. I told him my past struggles and he basically assured me that we would fix it. Then he let me know the game plan

4 extractions (3 molars, 1 wisdom tooth)
Scaling and root planning (1 quadrant at a time, 4 appointments)
3 fillings
Regular cleaning

Well I’m happy to say I just finished my last appointment this week. I need to go back in 3 months to have another look to see if any cavities were hiding under all that plaque. I’m also considering Invisalign. All I can say is I wish I did this sooner. Everything is worse in your own head. I was convinced he was going to look in my mouth and call the local news to report the worst teeth in the world. All the pain and infections for what? I will never do that to myself again. I hope this encourages someone out there to go.

I really did laugh out loud about calling the local news. I’m so happy for you. It’s so easy to look back now and say why didn’t I handle this years ago. I do it all the time, all that fear and shame for nothing.

Back