• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Abcess Tooth #30 Extraction and Bone Graft - Anxiety Nervousness

39male

39male

I have had a root canal at least 4 years ago and an abcess developed under days after. I have been resolving any pressure by popping the abcess and draining for those 4 years to get by. The same dentist check xray and I have cracked roots. I am now getting the tooth w crown extracted today and have had strong anxiety and nervousness. Hard to eat or live my life all depressed all the time. I enjoy dabbing marijuana and have quit cigarettes 1.5 years ago. Also stopped dabbing 2 weeks ago using edibles. Now stopped edibles two days ago as I dont want to cause any further possible issues. Im worried shitless and already have 4 root canals. It was nice knowing everyone if I dont make it out alive.

Are you planning on getting an implant? I figured that was the case with a bone graft, but didn’t know for sure.
I had tooth #30 extracted and a bone graft and implant placed. My original tooth was cracked. The extraction and bone grafting are simple procedures, much easier than a root canal. The bone graft makes it nice because you don’t have to worry about dry socket and don’t have a large hole.

Thanks for your reply. Yes planning to get an implant eventually. 20 yrs ago I remember the wisdom teeth extractions were done and the pain afterwards was for a long time. Last month I had the same molar on opposite side capped as one molar cusp chipped off the filled tooth. They had to have a new crown made after first one never fit. I always brushed once a day in the morning my whole life. Started brushing twice a day since last month and floss/mouthwash after every meal. My mind is a wreck.

Thanks for your reply. Yes planning to get an implant eventually. 20 yrs ago I remember the wisdom teeth extractions were done and the pain afterwards was for a long time. Last month I had the same molar on opposite side capped as one molar cusp chipped off the filled tooth. They had to have a new crown made after first one never fit. I always brushed once a day in the morning my whole life. Started brushing twice a day since last month and floss/mouthwash after every meal. My mind is a wreck.

Tooth #30 will be much easier than wisdom teeth removal!

39male,

Hope it goes well! Let us know !

Aftermath: I went in and was numbed up w about 6 shots give or take. 1st crown comes off. Then, tooth came out in one piece after few mins of hard pulling and synthetic bone graft material stuffed in after. Could not feel anything even stitches. Still numb. Was a lot easier and quicker than root canal. I am now prescribed antibiotics. Using guage first 1.25 hrs to stop blood and now icing cheek. Thanks for everyones support!

Aftermath: I went in and was numbed up w about 6 shots give or take. 1st crown comes off. Then, tooth came out in one piece after few mins of hard pulling and synthetic bone graft material stuffed in after. Could not feel anything even stitches. Still numb. Was a lot easier and quicker than root canal. I am now prescribed antibiotics. Using guage first 1.25 hrs to stop blood and now icing cheek. Thanks for everyones support!
Glad it is done and went well!

Hey.. Just Wondering How It All Went..? ?

Hey.. Just Wondering How It All Went..? ?

The biggest on going drama is the depression of not being able to eat any crunchy food and soft foods always. Accidentally chewing on bone graft side once or twice not remembering mentally and cleaning area. You have to eat carefully on one side. Floss and rinse with salt water after every meal. Its a hassle to eat. Cant go out for summer if you can have a beer or eat comfortably. Tiring to talk for long periods. I drink lots of water to avoid having to eat so much due to drama. Stitches havent fallen off after 2 weeks. Will be calling dentist to see if dissolvable stitches need to be removed. Seems like procedure was piece of cake vs aftermath of healing. Luckily no pain or infection or pressure. Have had few 25 mg indica edible marijuana capsules to help with mental state. For a lower tooth 30 molar it looks like while take long time to heal or at least cover the top.

Dissolvable stitches havent disappeared after 2 weeks. Going in on Monday to have them removed. Hope they are not cemented in! :noway:

Hi I had my full mouth extraction last Thurs (8 days ago) these dissolvable things are driving me crazy !! Just wondering how you made out with yours ? Did you have them taken out ? Did it hurt ?Thanks

Just wondering how you made out with yours ? Did you have them taken out ? Did it hurt ?Thanks

First of all congrats on overcoming the extraction. If referring to the dissolvable stitches, mine shrunk in thickness of the strings but were most annoying by 3 weeks and feeling tight. I went to the dentist and they cut/pull them out without any pain or numbing the area. I have heard of most people having them removed in 2 weeks. The week after your gums continue to grow and secure the area. Hope this helps!

Sharing a 3.5 month checkup status on my bone graft. Xray was taken and found minimal bone in the center of the tooth extraction where the abcess originally was. Dentist advised to wait another month to allow it to calicify and then consider scheduling for an implant. Hope more bone grows! :o/

Hope that bone comes in! Im sure it’s so hard to stay patient. It will be worth it!

I hope it grows in more! I had one of mine that didn’t grow much bone (that dentist used a different grafting material than my surgeon usually did), and the surgeon was still able to do the implant at 4 months. He just added grafting material around the implant when placing it.

So I finally got my implant post screwed into my molar four days ago. Was a nervous wreck the day before. Dentist said the gum should grow over and cover the titanium implant. How long does it take to grow over? I don't like getting food junk stuck inside and want to keep the hole clean as the post is a few millimeters below the gum. Currently on antibiotics.

So I finally got my implant post screwed into my molar four days ago. Was a nervous wreck the day before. Dentist said the gum should grow over and cover the titanium implant. How long does it take to grow over? I don't like getting food junk stuck inside and want to keep the hole clean as the post is a few millimeters below the gum. Currently on antibiotics.
I have had two different surgeons and both used healing caps for molars. It basically screwed into the implant and covered it.
With my front tooth implant, the surgeon didn’t use a healing cap but I don’t remember there being a hole. I think he may have stitched it shut, or stitched a membrane over it. I remember him saying he “added bulk” to protect the implant since I would be wearing a flipper.

Sorry, not much help, but the one time I had an extraction and bone graft that wasn’t covered, the gums took two months to fill in. They never really grew over the top, just started filling in from the sides and getting narrower until it was closed.

Hi MountainMama,

Hope you are doing well! Attached is a photo for reference. The post is open on top but few mm below gum line. Hope it grows over soon to protect from bacteria. Dentist says to come back in 4 months and they will open gum up for abutment and final restoration then.

I know its been a while. Are all of your pending implants done? If so, I am soo jealous. This whole journey started last June.

Attachments

• 20220307_120925.jpg
    20220307_120925.jpg
    741.5 KB · Views: 3
Back