• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

abrasiveness of toothpastes

C

careforteeth

To add a bit to a recent question that worriedaboutteethangums just posted about their concerns about whether or not toothpaste matters, I am wondering if any dentists here might have opinions about how important it is to use a toothpaste that ranks low in how abrasive it is?

There is a chart that is widely posted on the websites of a number of dentists in the US, where the abrasiveness of toothpastes are ranked. On this chart, the very high-flouride toothpaste Prevedent has a high abrasivity ranking. I use this brand occasionally, where the high flouride seems helpful. But I'm concerned that it might harm my teeth at the same time. How might I weigh these two different factors when chossing a toothpaste?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• toothpaste-RDA-abrasive-levels-abrasion.jpg
    toothpaste-RDA-abrasive-levels-abrasion.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 1
It's not massively important as long as the brushing technique is OK, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Thanks Gordon!

I found a different list that say the Prevident is less abrasive than what the list you shared says.

Attachments

• Toothpaste-Abrasive-List.pdf
    70.1 KB · Views: 4
Back