• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Abscess/Anti-biotics

C

cjb1966

Hi All,

I managed after years of avoiding the dentist to get myself there last Wed as I had been in pain on and off for a year and the week before I went was in a lot of pain in my jaw, ear, head, shoulder all on the same side.

Long and short the dentist took full x-rays nothing showed up but he was sure that is was a certain tooth (he was right), I had already been given Amoxcillin 500mg 3xtimes a day to take along with Metronidazole 200mg 3xa day, I told the dentist I had been prescribed the amoxcillin but forget to tell him about the Metronidazole, anyhow, I need to have the tooth taken out it is bad, but obviously needed to make it less painful, Wednesday it eased off a bit, but by yesterday and today my face is now slightly swollen and I can't eat, feels like I have a lot of pressure, my ears keep popping also which is odd.

Has anyone else taken the Metronidazole, and also anyone else had pains in their ear and head from the toothache?

Thanks for reading.

CJ

I am on a course of amoxy and metron now having got multiple infected teeth, yes your face can still swell, you get funny persistant noise in your ears and pressure, feels like you have a really bad cold, thats the symptoms of infection, just think what it would be like without the antibiotics, however some people can have side effects from the antibiotics. Have been in your place many times as I am now, my advice is take it easy, am counting the hours to an rct x 2 monday.

Hi

Thank you very much for the reply, just finished 5 day course of amoxicillin not worked so have to try the metronidazole I guess, that was a good description it is like you are full of pressure when you have a cold.

Hope all goes well for you.

CJ

i've been on Metronidazole alot of times! well enough times anyways haha!
always makes me feel like i've got flu! not the nicest side effects but they always work really well!

Hi
I have taken a course of Metron. in conjunction with Amoxillin Tabs. a couple of times in the past - due to dental infections; & on both occasions, the infection fully cleared & I had no side effects from either.
My only concern was the fact that you absolutely cannot take any alcohol whilst taking the Metron. & I questioned my dentist why this drug was so necessary. (Rather than just straightforward Penicillin.) According to her, the Metron. goes 'deeper into those gum areas within the mouth, & so, I believed her professionalism - though it was very hard not to have a drink for 10 days!

Good luck with everything!:)

Hi

Thank you all for the replies, very kind of you.

CJ

Back