Abscess location

P

Pearly77

Hello! I have a sore in the lower part of my mouth on the gums but inside near the tongue, if that makes sense. The teeth surrounding it do not hurt at all.

everything I look at online shows abscesses as being on the lip side of the mouth. Can abscesses occur on the tongue side?

P

Pearly77

It is a small white oval sore. It seems to be a bit raised. It is stinging/burning — constant. No pain in tooth.

I just had my cleaning and x rays in May. Could this be an abscess? Or a mouth sore? So scared. I’ll certainly go see the dentist this week but of course it’s a long holiday weekend.

Last edited:
P

Pearly77

Here’s the best pic I could get

Attachments

• 8E9591F7-9B51-4385-B70B-2ADFECC21BB4.jpeg
    8E9591F7-9B51-4385-B70B-2ADFECC21BB4.jpeg
    540.5 KB · Views: 13
P

Pearly77

Another

Attachments

• 0960B827-4654-42DD-B2A6-9704266F541B.jpeg
    0960B827-4654-42DD-B2A6-9704266F541B.jpeg
    252.8 KB · Views: 8
Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Yes abscesses can show up on the tongue side, but it's rare. What you have looks a lot more like an apthous ulcer aka canker sore in the US. Should heal spontaneously in a few days.

P

Pearly77

Oh god. This is so reassuring. Is it normal for there to be a bit of a raised bump underneath the canker sore?

39male

39male

It is a small white oval sore. It seems to be a bit raised. It is stinging/burning — constant. No pain in tooth.

I just had my cleaning and x rays in May. Could this be an abscess? Or a mouth sore? So scared. I’ll certainly go see the dentist this week but of course it’s a long holiday weekend.

I have had an abcess for 4 years and had tooth removed. Abcess is usually pressure type pain and if popped oozes bacteria and blood.

Your description of stinging and of oval shape type crater desribes a canker sore. These generally happen if you eat a sharp food like chips and it punctures your skin inside mouth. Can take about 2 weeks to go away and can sting for about the same time.

P

Pearly77

I have had an abcess for 4 years and had tooth removed. Abcess is usually pressure type pain and if popped oozes bacteria and blood.

Your description of stinging and of oval shape type crater desribes a canker sore. These generally happen if you eat a sharp food like chips and it punctures your skin inside mouth. Can take about 2 weeks to go away and can sting for about the same time.
Thank you! This is super reassuring. Was the pressure in the tooth itself? This is just kind of a stinging all the time. It is swollen with that white patch over the top of it. But it wouldn’t be something that is “poppable.” The swelling is underneath but the white patch is flat.

Last edited:
39male

39male

Thank you! This is super reassuring. Was the pressure in the tooth itself? This is just kind of a stinging all the time. It is swollen with that white patch over the top of it. But it wouldn’t be something that is “poppable.” The swelling is underneath but the white patch is flat.

The pressure is felt under the tooth. I would get by for years by popping the pimple and letting the white pus and blood drain out for relief.

When I get a kanker sore it starts as a little pin hole where something pierced skin normally some sharp edged food item and over couple days grows into a crater type look. It always stings unless u get kanker gel to get by. Mine are not white but more like extremely light red color in the center of crater while brighter red rim around. Kanker sores also dont last over 2 to 3 weeks max. Hope this helps!