• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Abscess on tongue side?

P

Pearly77

Hello! I have a sore in the lower part of my mouth on the gums but inside near the tongue, if that makes sense. The teeth surrounding it do not hurt at all.

everything I look at online shows abscesses as being on the lip side of the mouth. Can abscesses occur on the tongue side?

It is a small white oval sore. It seems to be a bit raised. It is stinging/burning — constant. No pain in tooth.

I just had my cleaning and x rays in May. Could this be an abscess? Or a mouth sore? So scared.

Last edited:
Here’s the best pic I could get

Attachments

• 8E9591F7-9B51-4385-B70B-2ADFECC21BB4.jpeg
    8E9591F7-9B51-4385-B70B-2ADFECC21BB4.jpeg
    540.5 KB · Views: 20
Another

Attachments

• 0960B827-4654-42DD-B2A6-9704266F541B.jpeg
    0960B827-4654-42DD-B2A6-9704266F541B.jpeg
    252.8 KB · Views: 13
Yes abscesses can show up on the tongue side, but it's rare. What you have looks a lot more like an apthous ulcer aka canker sore in the US. Should heal spontaneously in a few days.

Oh god. This is so reassuring. Is it normal for there to be a bit of a raised bump underneath the canker sore?

It is a small white oval sore. It seems to be a bit raised. It is stinging/burning — constant. No pain in tooth.

I just had my cleaning and x rays in May. Could this be an abscess? Or a mouth sore? So scared. I’ll certainly go see the dentist this week but of course it’s a long holiday weekend.

I have had an abscess for 4 years and had the tooth removed. An abscess is usually pressure-type pain and if popped oozes bacteria and blood.

Your description of stinging and of oval shape type crater describes a canker sore. Can take about 2 weeks to go away and can sting for about the same time.

Thank you! This is super reassuring. Was the pressure in the tooth itself? This is just kind of a stinging all the time. It is swollen with that white patch over the top of it. But it wouldn’t be something that is “poppable.” The swelling is underneath but the white patch is flat.

Last edited:
The pressure is felt under the tooth. I would get by for years by popping the pimple and letting the white pus and blood drain out for relief.

When I get a canker sore it starts as a little pinhole where something pierced skin normally some sharp-edged food item and over a couple of days grows into a crater-type look. It always stings unless you get canker gel to get by. Mine are not white but more like an extremely light red color in the center of the crater with a brighter red rim around. Canker sores also don't last over 2 to 3 weeks max. Hope this helps!

Back