• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Abscessed tooth-indirect pulp cap

Z

zeppygirl

Hello,
Hoping someone could give me some help and hope here!

I saw the dentist about 5 days ago, due to a broken molar. The filling came out about 4 months ago, however I haven't suffered any severe pain. Upon looking at the x-ray, he said the tooth was abscessed, and that it need a root canal, or extraction. As he looked at the xray again, he said that the pulp may not have been effected yet. He cleaned the decay, and said that the pulp was not damaged, and that he could fill the tooth, and hope for the best. He put me on amoxicillan, filled the molar with a composite filling, and an indirect pulp cap, and sent me on my way. He was a wonderful dentist, and I had no pain at all. My fear is since the tooth was abscessed, how successful will the filling be? Won't the abscess come back after I quit the antiobiotics? I'm just fearful of the pain that comes along with an abscess, and if I should have just gotten the tooth extracted. I have had some minor, painless swelling around the tooth, is that an abscess? There is no pain, or really any sensitivity......Very confused!!!

That doesn't sound right to me at all. Can you get a second opinion from another dentist?

Back