• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Abscessed Wisdom Tooth Close to Nerve

P

PNWolfGirl

I've recently been blessed with the ever troubling Abscessed Wisdom tooth in the lower portion of my bottom Jaw. I had a dentist appointment for an attempt at removal of the tooth... However, when they took Xrays they decided to refer me to an Oral surgeon. I asked them why, and this is the answer I received.

"We can't pull your wisdom tooth here, as it's to close to the nerve."

My question would be, can I have a root canal done on the tooth to remove the abscess/infection after 10 days and then have a Coronectomy Procedure done? I would really like to not end up with perm nerve damage because I went ahead and had the tooth removed....

I've recently been blessed with the ever troubling Abscessed Wisdom tooth in the lower portion of my bottom Jaw. I had a dentist appointment for an attempt at removal of the tooth... However, when they took Xrays they decided to refer me to an Oral surgeon. I asked them why, and this is the answer I received.

"We can't pull your wisdom tooth here, as it's to close to the nerve."

My question would be, can I have a root canal done on the tooth to remove the abscess/infection after 10 days and then have a Coronectomy Procedure done? I would really like to not end up with perm nerve damage because I went ahead and had the tooth removed....

The oral surgeon can remove it without damaging the nerve. They use more specialized equipment, such as the 3D scan. I recently had an impacted extra wisdom tooth removed that was right up against my 2nd molar. The oral surgeon said at the consult that it was a tricky extraction. He also said that the 3D scan I had done allowed him t basically do it virtually to figure out the best method. It ended up coming out in 20 minutes with no damage to my molar.

17 years ago, when I had my four wisdom teeth out, they were all impacted, and one was actually sitting on the nerve in my lower jaw. I remember being freaked out because the oral surgeon went over the risks of nerve damage with me and my parents, but then said the risk was minimal. The surgery went fine.

If I were you, I would get the extraction. A root canal would be a temporary solution, but the tooth will probably have to come eventually.

Back