• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Absess/Root Canal Treatment (temporary dressing)

G

Former Member
I went to the emergency dental hospital 8 days ago after strruggling with pain which seemed to emanate from a lump that had formed in the top pallette of my mouth. The dentist discovered an absess above tooth UL2 and drained the absess and placed Ledermix and Kalzynol (I think).My doctor had perscribed a 7 day cource of Penicillin the day before.

During the week, the lump disappeared,the swelling that had started to appear on my face had gone andthe bruised sensation when I touched my gum aboe the tooth had gone.

I visited my own dentist 6 days later to have second stage treatment. She told me that the gum above the tooth still seemed a bit red and the x-ray still showed a dark circle around the tooth. However, when she opened up the tooth, found that nothing was draining into it. She said that she didn't want to sealthe toothuntil shewas certain that there was no infection present.

I have another appointment on Monday with her, butI am very worried because I am going away on a tour through Africa for 9 weeks 4 days later and I am petrified of the problem flaring up while I am away.

She said that the darknesson the x-ray could be deeneration o the jaw bone which could take time to regenerate. Is this possible? Also, how long can redness above the gum last aftr such a problem?

If she does only apply a temporary antiseptic dressing on Monday, would this be sufficient for such a long period?

My chief concern is to keep the tooth but I am frightened that the infection could spread and affect other teeth. Please advise?

Re: Absess/Root Canal Treatment (temporary dressin

I'd be unhappy about putting in a temporary dressing for that length of time. Hopefully the inside of the tooth will be clean and pus free and your dentist can finish off the root treatment.
The bone will regenerate in its own sweet time, can easily take months. The gum will heal when the source of infection is cleared up. The infection can't spread to other teeth.

Back