• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Absolutely, totally, completely terrified out of my mind.

LeDiskoLove99

LeDiskoLove99

I haven't been to a dentist in about.....14 maybe 15 years. I'm 21 now and just remember the horrible fear of stepping into the office and I remember wanting to scream and cry and beg my mom to take me home. This wasn't helped when they literally had to tie me down to do a simple x-ray. They had to hold me down and restrain me so they could work without me hitting or kicking or trying to run away. That part I will never forget. But even before that I was horribly terrified. And now I'm older and possibly even more scared now that I know a little more about the procedures and whatnot. I have a lot of problems with my teeth, I can hardly eat because many foods hurt them. I have one tooth that constantly rubs against the inside of my cheek and causes it to become very raw and sore. I have a few fillings that have fallen out, and while my teeth are pretty white they are rather crooked. I can deal with crooked that I don't mind but it's everything else that's highly embarrassing. I refuse to tell anyone how long it's been since I've been to a dentist, but no matter how embarrassed or in pain I am with my teeth I still can't find the courage to make myself go. At the moment I don't have insurance so I can't go but, I know that as soon as I get insurance I need to because I could really become sick if I don't do something about my teeth. But the thought of it makes me sob hysterically. Right now as I'm writing this I'm ready to start crying and everyone either mocks me for my fear or gets angry with me. They tell me to suck it up and get it over with, if only they knew how hard that is. I KNOW I need to get it over with but I'm just too scared. And the fact that people don't understand that makes it worse. And I don't know how to get rid of this fear, if I could just lose some of the fear I'd be able to gather up my strength but right now I can't. I've been thinking about just going and talking to a dentist not to get anything done but just to see what they have to say, what they can do for my fear, and I'm hoping that will help a little. Until then I can't even think about it without nearly going into a really bad panic attack. And I'm glad I found this site, because it sure helps knowing I'm not the only one who feels this way about the dentist.

I would like to add that because most dentists I've read about don't like to actually put you under with anesthesia that it adds to my already out of control fear.Because I do NOT want to be awake during anything, I want to be out, I mean hit me with a frying pan then a baseball bat, concussion out. I'm also TERRIFIED of needles, so very terrified. But that's a whole other story. I just wish I could have someone pump me up with sedatives before they appointment and have someone drag me there, and then be put to sleep while I'm actually there. I think that's the only way I'd be able to manage to go.

Last edited:
You certain ally came to the right place! Everyone here understands. I get the same reaction from people. I'm almost 49 and never saw a dentist until 6 yrs ago for 2 fillings. Last month I had an extraction. I still need work done and am in the process of making an appt to find out what. And I'm terrified about it. I have a recent thread here if you want to read my story. I will tell you so far nothing had been bad. No pain. You have to move at your own pace. I don't have dental insurance either so I'm only goi g to be able to deal with just so much at once. Patti

Technology today is far more advanced then when you were younger.

I'm not terrified of the work that needs to be done on me. I don't care about needles, or pain, or smells (well, lately it's the nitrous) or drill noises.. nothing bothers me EXCEPT I have a severe gag reflex which really doesn't allow me to have instruments or foreign objects hovering, rubbing, touching anything in my mouth.

You took the first step by coming here and talking about it. Your next step is finding a close friend or relative who will understand you and comfort you. They don't have to relate but just be supportive. Surely you must have a close friend, cousin, someone?

Next is opening up and talking about it and getting it all out there and then finding a compassionate dentist who will give you a consult and meet with you outside of the dental practice or have enough compassion that they don't have to look in your mouth on the first visit.

I see you're from the states? Whereabouts?

YOu really should start working this out now. Don't wait until your my age (45) to get things going. It'll be so much simpler than it seems to be. We fear more over our own fear then the actual thing that we fear.

Oral sedation is what I use. I was prescribed it by my dentist which is enough to last me my whole treatment plan (over a years time). I take 2 2.5mg of Ativan and I'm literally sleeping in the chair. I am able to respond to simple commands but I don't remember anything. It's great!

I know you can do this.... please don't leave it til it's too late.
:XXLhug:

Hi LeDiskoLove99, I'm very sorry that you were restrained and had a horrible experience at the dentist that never should've happened to you.:there-there: You're very unlucky that you had this experience and you have my sympathy. You don't have to tell anyone that you haven't been to the dentist for 14-15 years or that your extremely afraid of going to the dentist except for a dentist. No one else has to know.:) So that solves the problem of being embarrassed because the dentist will not make fun of you or judge you. I take it that the people you told about your fears are not scared of going to the dentist because I think for the most part people who don't experience the same kind of anxiety have trouble understanding it. With dental phobia you can't just rush on in, you have to take baby steps. You say that you have no idea on how to start with tackling your fears so I'll lighten your path. If you feel like you can't find a phobic friendly dentist and make an appointment which would just be a consultation and an exam you should probably see a counselor. But if you can make the consultation things will play out by themselves and you'll go from there. You also said that you want to be out for the appointment, nowadays most dentist don't use general anesthesia because there are more safer alternatives like IV sedation. It feels like you are asleep but you are actually awake. I would recommend that you find a phobic friendly dentist who offers IV sedation. I hope everything goes well for you.:clover: