• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Accessing decay below the gum line

S

Sunandrain

Has anyone had a filling where it is entirely below the gum line?

I asked the dentist how she would access it as she said she would have to cut my gum. She says they cut the gum using the drill (with one with the water). Is this normal? (I am in the U.K.)

I asked how far below the gum line the decay was and how much. She said she didn't know as the X-ray doesn't really show this. I also asked about antibiotics afterwards as my immune system is weaker due to other health issues. She said no I won't need any (but she didn't even ask what my issues are).

I am debating whether to cancel having it done and get a second opinion.

Anyone one else has similar?!

I just did 2 this morning. In this patient's case I was able to use retraction cord to access the caries. Every case is different and dentists use different techniques.

I just did 2 this morning. In this patient's case I was able to use retraction cord to access the caries. Every case is different and dentists use different techniques.

Is it a safe technique to use a dental drill to remove the gum to get to the caries? It's the very back tooth at thre bottom so dentist said visibility isn't great.

Back