accidentally disrupted blood clot after tooth extraction

D

Double

Hi, it has been about 36 hours since a tooth extraction and out of habit, I woke up in bed to take an antibiotic and accidentally sucked (gave one suck) on a water bottle before I could realize what I did.

I feel like I might have disrupted the blood clot a little. The blood clot is bleeding slightly, but not a whole lot. I carefully put a gauze on it for about 10 minutes to soak up any blood. I'm taking some heavy antibiotics (500mg Metronidazol) 4 times daily, and I've got about 34 pills to go. I'm hoping that alone will help.

Also, what kind of foods should I eat, and for how long should I do so? How long do I need to stay away from water bottles? Please respond.

Last edited:
Dr. Daniel

Dr. Daniel

Verified dentist
Hi,

I don't think there is any danger in drinking from the bottle, as long as you are zipping it normally and not too forcefully. A taste of blood is normal after an extraction. In fact, the extraction site might lightly bleed weeks after the extraction. You did well placing the gauze there.

Regarding food: It is better to avoid chewing hard food today and tomorrow. It is also advised to avoid warm drinks today and tomorrow. 5 days after the extraction the blood clot should be stable enough to endure any kind of drinking/eating/spitting.

D

Double

Thanks Dr. Daniel for your quick reply.

The tooth extraction was on #19 (lower left jaw, 2nd tooth from back). I can't decide if I was just not used to the gap in my mouth, but the reason I became worrisome was because I felt that the pressure created between my mouth and the bottles' nipple during the suck might have been violent to an unseen area of the clot. I am hoping I did not create any pockets of air, and that blood filled in any disturbances. The pulled tooth was extracted because I had a cyst on each of the roots, my body is trying to fight any leftover bacteria with antibiotics.

The slight bleeding I was having seemed to cease about 1-2 hours after the disturbance. I am not feeling any real pain from the area, and I'm not taking any pain medications, so I think I'm good. If I had any other worries, it is probably that I didn't get much head rest on the day of extraction.

I haven't been eating much since the extraction because I am so afraid of disturbing the area. I've only been eating a banana and cold cereal (cinnamon Life) on the opposite side of my mouth, the cereal is soft once the milk is soaked up. I'm getting anxious to try new things though, and I want to start taking vitamin & mineral supplements.. but I don't think I can with a week of antibiotics left to go. I was given a syringe to clean the area with water, and have only cleansed the area once.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
H

Haly

Hello I also had a tooth extraction yesterday been 36 hours now.. I just had to eat something. Or I felt like i was going to past out.. I was just drinking shakes of herbalife and tea but not hot. Or warm just on the colder side..been drinking from a bottle too (water) and okay.no bleeding.. except last night i took some ibuprofen and I guess was not good.. cuz this morning I woke up with my mouth all red from blood.. besides I also had a deep upper teeth cleaning (scaling) and I guess one of my upper tooth was bleeding I had a clot around it ..but it disolved .. besides that no pain either. I guess you can eat soft .. like oatmeal.. I would not do cereal unless u let it get soft.. but you can do soup not hot or too warm.. jello.. and yogurt.. I just had mac and cheese. And slighty chew..I kin ifjust swallow it..but it was soft enough.. also do salt and water rinse.. just gently from side to side.. and dont spit..just let the water drip ..u know what I mean..

Now I wonder should I take antibiotic? They didn't prescribed any..

Deejay

Deejay

Haly antibiotics are not always needed I have had 17 teeth removed this year over 4 appoints within a few months and never needed a single one, think you would have been given them by your dentist if you needed them. X x happy healing!

carole

carole

Forum Buddy
Hi to the both of you I am putting a link here for you, you can eat loads of things, enjoy

You will find plenty in this link that you can eat

Well done to the both of you and let us know how you get on please :butterfly:

H

Haly

Haly antibiotics are not always needed I have had 17 teeth removed this year over 4 appoints within a few months and never needed a single one, think you would have been given them by your dentist if you needed them. X x happy healing!
Oh I see.. She asked if i had any antibiotic left and i said yes.. She really said nothing about it.. But i have no bleeding today.. Last night i did but i had my head down while washing my face.. But lil pain but slept it off .. Today relaxing in bed..

Dr. Daniel

Dr. Daniel

Verified dentist
Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, my advise is: patience. It sounds like it is going well, no need for special care. Let your body heal by itself.