• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Adjustment of Bite Guard

L

leanna

So I've learned to keep my night guard in, and have had it for about 4 months. I went in for an appt. 2 days ago to get it "adjusted." It was horrible. Guard, combined with bite paper, combined with whatever that thing is I had to bite on for 2 minutes...

I have a horrible gag reflex triggered by things touching my tongue. It seems silly that this would set me off, but it does.

My dentist ended up trying different bite paper (no go), and then adjusting by sight.

I normally take valium before each appt (I didn't this time), and I take triazolam before work is done (I don't forget anything, but I am a little loopy).

I'm just so dejected. Do I need to find a dentist that will just knock me the heck out before every appt.? :cry:

Hi Leanna,

I also have a very bad gag reflex so I completely sympathize with what you went through. Have you had a look at the section in the common fears section regarding gagging? I had to have a tray made and the thought of impressions panicked me...it was hard enough to get x-rays, I had no idea how I could get through something more intrusive. I decided to try one of the tricks for overcoming gagging and took salt with me. I put a little sprinkle on my tongue before each impression and was able to get through it with a few very minor gag episodes. Nothing I coudn't control by breathing through my nose. If I scrape or brush my tongue I can only go so far back before I gag. I used the salt and it was amazing how much more of my tongue I could clean before the gag reflex started. That is only one of many suggestions so if that doesn't work for you something else might. Here's the link: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/gagging/

I know how horrible it feels to gag so I really hope that you can find something that will help you too! :)

Good luck,

Pam

Hi Pam,

Thanks. I have looked at the list of tips. The funny part is that with conscious sedation, I got through my impression trays with very little gagging. What really sets me off is the tongue.

I think next time I go, I might ask them about numbing spray for my tongue.

Thanks again for replying.

L

Hi Leanna,

you can buy the numbing spray over-the-counter in any pharmacy :)

Back