• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Advanced periodontis desease im so scared:(

P

phyllis1

I was told a year ago I have advanced periodontis desease I
have gotten ,3.,opinions and they said my teeth are not saveable I am so scared I never
Had a tooth pulled and I have panick attacks and im scared of novacaine
But I do not want to be put to sleep or feel drugged 10 of my teeth have fallen out
On their own I miss my pretty smile but I sm so scared:( any advice would be
So appretiated!

Sorry to hear that you have periodontal disease. As you will know, this makes your teeth very wobbly. If your dentist recommends that you have some teeth removed, they will be very simple extractions as the teeth are already so loose. However, if you are very nervous about it, don't be afraid to ask for it to be done under sedation.

Ask your dentist about ways to replace your missing teeth. You could get a denture to get back your pretty smile :)

Hi,

I don't know your clinical situation, but surely there is a solution to your problem.
There are dentists who go by the book, and if they see an untreatable tooth (to their opinion) they don't play around and say the tooth is for extraction. However, no all dentists are the same. There are dentists who will listen to the patient's request and find a proper clinical solutions, while explaining to the patient the limitations and disadvantages of the improvised solution. I had a patient with just your story: severe advanced periodontal disease and an extreme unwillingness (let's call it a mixture of fear and prudence) to extract teeth. The treatment extracting only the extreme mobile teeth (two which were uncomfortable to eat with), to attach the teeth together with a split (this way the teeth supported each other and stopped being mobile) and regular thorough cleaning every three months.

I can suggest for to write an email to several dentists, with an attached high quality X-ray (the best would be a panoramic photo) and state your need to preserve as many teeth as possible, and your willingness to have your teeth cleaned frequently. I am certain you will receive a varity of answers.

You mentioned fear of the novocaine. Can you tell us more specifically what's your fear about?

Back