• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Advice about tooth extractions

O

Ogwen

Hello
I am being referred by my dentist to the hospital for tooth extractions.
As I am phobic about dentists/hospitals I have been putting off going to the dentist, but I have realised in the long run that it has made the extractions more difficult. I will need surgical extractions because part of the tooth has broken down below gum line.
With covid the wait times are long for GA or sedation so I asked how long it would take to extract under LA and she said it would be 15 mins. This is the only way I can get it sorted soon, so I said I would go for that.

I am regretting it now because I'm worried ill have a panic attack during it. What can I expect? Will I feel pain if the site is infected? Or will the LA numb me enough? Will I feel pressure? One tooth is a pre molar, and one is a lower one just behind incisor, are these relatively easy to remove?
Can I distract my self while it is being done?

Any advice will be very welcome!

If you feel any pain, then agree a "stop" signal with the dentist and let them sort it out. Nobody wants to hurt patients deliberately. Our new generation of local anaesthetics are very effective though.

You'll certainly feel some pressure and hear some weird noises, creaking, squelching, groaning and that's just from the dentist :)

Most roots are easier to remove than entire teeth, which sounds counter intuitive but it's true.

If you feel any pain, then agree a "stop" signal with the dentist and let them sort it out. Nobody wants to hurt patients deliberately. Our new generation of local anaesthetics are very effective though.

You'll certainly feel some pressure and hear some weird noises, creaking, squelching, groaning and that's just from the dentist :)

Most roots are easier to remove than entire teeth, which sounds counter intuitive but it's true.

Ahh thank you, that almost made me LOL for real. Though I did hear that there would be some odd sounds during extraction.

Thats quite reassuring. I have 2 or 3 that are roots, or partial. I was dreading it thinking there would be nothing for them to grip!

But yes, I'll agree a stop signal just in case

From personal experience - when mine were extracted the ones that were just roots or mostly broken off seemed to heal a little quicker than the ones that were whole. And the dentist said it’s much easier to extract just the roots.

Everyone thinks that roots are "hard to grip" but you don't extract teeth that way :) The crowns just get in the way of the bits you need to work on.

Back