• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

advice so desperately needed

• Thread starter ashamed and scared
  • Start date
A

ashamed and scared

Hey everyone, it's a long long time since I've posted and much love to everyone who has issues with their teeth for I know how that feels. After a year and a half of fighting for dental appointments and especially for immediate dentures I had a full mouth extraction yesterday including wisdom teeth. I expected to wake up with dentures in my mouth but I was told they are far far to big. In looking at them everything is wrong the size the way they won't ever ever fit and so im sat here without teeth. The entire bottom of my face has obviously collapsed without the support of teeth and I just can't can't can't let anyone see me like this. My work was done through the NHS and I obviously need new temporary dentures for the next 6 months but would they do that? I don't know what to do and im feeling suicidal...i don't want to scare anyone though because ive read so many inspirational stories of amazing immediate dentures and guess ive just been about as unlucky as a person can get :( I've just got an appointment with the dentist on the 13th and she says to take the teeth...i think may think they can be relined but the errors are much more serious than that...and advice gratefully received, peace x

Generally dentists try to select teeth size and position to match a patient's existing teeth. When removing multiple teeth it becomes more difficult to obtain a good record of what the base of the denture will be after the extractions. This can result in apoorly fitted immediate denture. In fact I recently had to remove 14 maxillary(top) teeth due to advanced periodontal disease. At the time of extractions I also grafted the sites with bone to provide for abetter longerlasting ridge to hold the denture and also provide for a good condition for implant placement. So between the extractions and grafting the immediate denture just wasn't right so after she healed about three weeks I remade the denture at no cost to her. She was a very nice woman who didn't even complain but Iknew that she could have much better aesthetics and I didn't want my name on a denture that just didn't look right for her. So she still has the original as a backup for emergencies but not thrilled with her new one.

If you dentist is reluctant to change it trydiscussing your concernsin a nice way and perhaps the dentist will understand rather than become defensive.

thank you :) I will of course be polite and courteous as the dentist was not to know just how wrong this would go. I'm praying that she will make me another set of temp dentures just to get me through the 6 month healing stage and a more permanent solution can be made. Its just really hard sitting in the house too ashamed to see people without teth and as I live alone its a bit isolating...I feel better thinking maybe the dentist will take pity on me and offer a solution...and thank you...

Hey this is just a curious question, but did you have G.A to have them all removed? I'm having 3 teeth removed under G.A under the NHS on the 13th july, but i'm only getting that because:
a) i'm under 18
b) i was referred to several dentists and no one could do it without hurting me

i'm not getting wisdom teeth out either, its 3 of my adult molars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back